Volusion V1 vs. V2
Volusion offers two versions of its software: V1 and V2. This article reviews Volusion V2, but new customers may be offered the V1 version of Volusion’s software. It all depends on what your business needs.
Volusion V1 is the more complex of the two platforms, with greater functionality but potentially could take longer to set up. It offers customizable themes, integrates with Doba and is hosted by Google Cloud. It’s best for larger businesses with more complex business models.
Volusion V2 is easier to learn and has quick setup in minutes. But unlike V1, its customization options are limited, it integrates with Inventory Source and is hosted with Amazon Cloud. V2 is better suited to smaller businesses.
Volusion’s hosted shopping cart software comes equipped with a number of practical e-commerce solutions:
- Payment processing. Connect to Volusion Payments, Volusion’s in-house processor, or select from one of its third-party partners: Stripe, PayPal and ApplePay.
- Online store builder. Construct your online store with professionally designed themes, customizable page layouts and in-page editing features.
- Shopping cart software. Build and manage an online store, process payments and connect with a variety of third-party apps.
- Marketing and design consulting. Sign up for Volusion Studio, Volusion’s in-house marketing and design agency, for custom marketing plans and website design support. Or, pick one of Volusion’s Quick Win one-time jobs that include Google Analytics training, SEO site audits, ad copywriting and more.
- App integrations. Connect with shipping software providers, social media platforms, accounting apps and more through Volusion’s app marketplace.
- Order management. Create orders manually or process in bulk while you take advantage of label printing and USPS rate discounts.
- Built-in marketing tools. Create coupon discount campaigns and tap into a variety of SEO tools that include customizable metadata, custom URLs and sitemap indexing.
- Customer management. Add customers to review individual purchase histories and shopping habits.
- Performance tracking. Take a closer look at your website’s cart abandonment rates, sales data, site visits and top-performing products.
Volusion pricing and fees
- 24/7 email and live chat support
- Online store builder
- Unlimited products, storage and bandwidth
- Synced inventory
- Coupons and discounts
- Automatic tax calculator
- Dropshipping integrations
- 24/7 email, live chat and phone support
- Bulk order processing
- Fulfillment center integrations
- Advanced coupons and discounts
- Competitive shipping rates
- $50 monthly Quick Wins credits
- Dedicated Volusion support
- 1-hour call with Volusion Studio marketing team
- $150 monthly Quick Wins credits
- Premium shipping rates
- Executive Volusion Slack support
- Multiple admin users
Volusion’s in-house payment processing allows you to accept credit and debit card payments with rates that start at 2.15% + $0.30 per transaction, alongside a $5.66 monthly service fee.
For a monthly fee, access Volusion’s in-house marketing agency for professional support in website design, development, digital advertising, search engine optimization and social media strategy. Fees vary by business and service.
Volusion Quick Wins
Looking for a quick fix? Volusion offers a variety of one-time services it calls Quick Wins. Unlike Volusion Studio, these services aren’t ongoing and are subject to a single flat-rate:
- Image ad asset creation: $100
- PPC ad copywriting: $100
- Google Ads conversion tracking: $50
- Google Ads optimization: $200
- Google Analytics setup: $25
- Google Analytics training: $200
- Design audit: $150
- Hero graphic: $200
- Basic SEO audit: $450
- Homepage optimization: $250
- Meta tag optimization: $150
- SEO-friendly URLs: $150
- YouTube video optimization: $150
- Marketing consultation: $200
- Shopping feed error diagnostic: $200
- Social media audit: $100
Volusion websites are hosted, so all you need is an Internet connection — no need to download or install anything. And you don’t need coding or technical experience to set up your site because Volusion’s online site builder offers access to a variety of prebuilt store themes.
For those just starting out and seeking professional support, design agents are available for hire through Volusion’s Studio agency.
There’s a phone number advertised on Volusion’s website, but when we called for more information, we discovered its phone support is intended for current Volusion clients only. New merchants can touch base with support with its 24-hour live chat on its website.
Volusion’s site builder offers access to 14 free site designs and two paid designs: Balance and Glass, for $180 each. Each theme comes with an interactive demo you can use to explore its design and functionality first hand.
What app integrations does Volusion offer?
Volusion advertises a total of 26 integrations in its app marketplace, including:
- Facebook Pixel
- Google Analytics
- Kole Imports
- PayPal Express Checkout
- QuickBooks Online
- Rocket Lawyer
Pros and cons
- 24/7 support. Even Volusion’s lowest service tiers have access to 24-hour online tech support.
- Free trial. Explore what Volusion has to offer during a free 14-day trial.
- Monthly billing. No need to sign a contract to access Volusion’s software — billing is available monthly.
- Limited processing options. Volusion’s third-party processing options are limited to PayPal, Stripe and Apple Pay.
- Limited website themes. Volusion’s meager collection of 16 themes doesn’t measure up to competitors Shift4Shop and BigCommerce that offer more than 100 website themes apiece.
- Only for online merchants. Volusion’s software options are only intended to be used by e-commerce merchants, as it doesn’t provide any point-of-sale systems for in-person processing.
Volusion reviews and complaints
As of October 2020, Volusion reviews are mixed. It is an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and gets an A+ rating, but has a lukewarm TrustScore of 3.3 out of 5 based on 369 reviews.
Customers speak highly of their experiences with knowledgeable and courteous tech support agents, but complain of SSL-certificate fees and a clunky, outdated user interface.
Start your 14-day Volusion trial on its website:
- Click Start For Free
- Enter your full name, phone number and email address
- Create an account password
- Enter your number of employees
- Click Start Your Trial
What other products will I need?
Volusion provides most of what you need to process online payments, with the exception of a business checking account:
- Checking account. The payment processor you select will need the routing and bank account number of a business checking account to deposit transaction funds.
Volusion is an online shopping cart software and payment processing provider that was founded in 1999 by Kevin Sproles in Simi Valley, California. Today, its team has grown to over 200 employees and supports over 30,000 online merchants.
Volusion offers a solid lineup of e-commerce features for online merchants, including an online store builder, marketing and design consulting and a variety of performance tracking tools. But it only integrates with three third-party processors and its website themes are limited.
Review your e-commerce options with other providers before you apply.
Is Volusion PCI-certified?
Yes, Volusion is listed as one of Visa’s PCI-certified providers.
Can I accept electronic checks with Volusion processing?
No, Volusion processing only supports payment by credit or debit card.