VoguePay payment gateway review
It accepts international payments, but customers warn that it holds onto funds.
Nigerian-based VoguePay offers payment gateway solutions and API plug-ins to international merchants looking to sell online. But it doesn’t offer point-of-sale (POS) hardware, its website is buggy and a worrying number of complaints accuse the platform of fraudulent activity.
- Choose this provider if you’re an online merchant who sells exclusively online.
- Consider something else if you plan on opening a storefront or need POS hardware options.
|Products||Payment processing, POS software|
|Monthly fees start at||None|
|Processing fees start at||3.8% + $0.50 per transaction|
|Processing time||Five days for merchants based outside Nigeria|
|High-risk merchants accepted?||Yes|
VoguePay specializes in payment solutions for online vendors:
- Payment gateway. VoguePay's PCI-compliant payment gateway allows you to process payments from customers anywhere in the world and in any currency.
- E-commerce API. Set up an online store with VoguePay's API to start accepting payments or invoices online.
- Online shopping carts. Create product codes to be used in conjunction with an integrated shopping basket on your website.
- Money transfers. VoguePay also offers money transfers to both merchants and everyday customers. For more information, read our review of VoguePay money transfers.
VoguePay distinguishes its offerings with a number of helpful features:
- VoguePay wallet. Upon registering, you'll receive access to a VoguePay wallet — a virtual holding account for transaction funds.
- Analytics. Monitor your sales, revenue and cash flow with weekly performance reports.
- Free website extensions. Integrate VoguePay with over 30 plug-ins, supporting the likes of WordPress, WooCommerce, Drupal, Joomla and more.
- Developer commission. Developers earn a 30% commission on any VoguePay plug-in or extension they develop that isn't available in VoguePay's existing library.
VoguePay pricing and fees
We aren’t able to provide any information on VoguePay’s fees because we can’t access the pricing page on its website. As of July 2021, VoguePay’s website isn’t working and hasn’t worked for some time. This could be a technical issue — or it may indicate broader issues within the platform.
How do I open an account with VoguePay?
Signing up for VoguePay can be done on its website:
- Go to VoguePay's website and select Get Started.
- Enter your full name, email address and phone number.
- Next, enter a username and password.
- Select your currency region and select Create Account.
- Verify your account by providing a certificate of business incorporation, government-issued ID and proof of address in the form of a utility bill, bank statement or bank reference letter.
Once your account has been verified, you can begin accepting online payments.
Pros and cons
- Internationally accepted. Accepts payments from anywhere in the world in all major currencies.
- No code-writing required. Thanks to the help of its library of plug-ins and extensions, you don't need to be a technical whiz to integrate VoguePay's API.
- Multiple fees. Transaction fees are to be expected but ongoing withdrawal fees may start to bite at your bottom line.
- No POS hardware. VoguePay doesn't offer any POS support for merchants looking to sell in-person.
- Poor online reputation. Multiple complaints across third-party review sites claim that VoguePay has held onto their account funds for months.
- Limited support. Contacting customer service must be done through email or by contacting support teams in London or Nigeria.
- Held funds. For merchants based outside Nigeria, there's a five-day holding period on all transactions.
- High minimums. Before you can withdraw funds to your business checking account, you'll need to accumulate at least $1,500 USD in your online VoguePay Wallet.
- Website security. VoguePay advertises that its payment gateway maintains SSL-certification and PCI-compliance, but the VoguePay blog was flagged by our browsers as a security threat.
What other products will I need?
You'll need to link an existing business checking account to withdraw funds from your VoguePay Wallet:
- Checking account. To access payments processed by VoguePay, you'll need to add a business checking account to withdraw available funds.
Is VoguePay safe?
VoguePay states that it’s SSL-certified and is PCI-compliant but appears to have some security issues with its blog. Also: a worrying number of Trustpilot complaints claim that the company is fraudulent. Before you sign up for a VoguePay account, ask VoguePay to verify its security protocols to find out how it keeps customer data safe.
VoguePay reviews and complaints
VoguePay doesn't have a Better Business Bureau listing but does appear on Trustpilot. As of July 2021, it maintains a TrustScore of 2.5 out of 5 based on 201 customer reviews. On Facebook, it has a score of 3.7 out of 5 based on the feedback of 55 customers.
A handful of positive reviews cite a satisfying experience with customer support via Facebook Messenger. But a worrying number of complaints across Trustpilot and Facebook say they were scammed by VoguePay and have been unable to access their account funds.
How do I contact VoguePay support?
There are three ways to get in touch with VoguePay:
- Phone. Customer service is available by phone 24 hours a day on weekdays at +44(0)2036683701.
- Email. Contact customer support by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Facebook. Chat with a member of VoguePay's support team by reaching out via Facebook Messenger.
Compare merchant services providers
Explore your options by available products, monthly fees, processing fees and hosting. Select the Go to site button for more information about a particular provider.
VoguePay offers payment gateways and processing support for online international merchants. While its transparent pricing and easy-to-implement APIs count in its favor, it imposes a number of restrictions on merchants looking to access deposited funds.
Review your processing options with additional providers before you make a decision.