VoguePay payment gateway review
It’s honest about its fees but imposes withdrawal restrictions on merchants.
- Choose this provider if you’re an online merchant who sells exclusively online.
- Consider something else if you plan on opening a storefront or need POS hardware options.
|Prices start at||3.8% + $0.50|
|Processing time||Five days for merchants based outside Nigeria|
|High-risk merchants accepted?||Yes|
What's in this review?
VoguePay servicesVoguePay specializes in payment solutions for online vendors:
- Payment gateway. VoguePay‘s PCI-compliant payment gateway allows you to process payments from customers anywhere in the world and in any currency.
- E-commerce API. Set up an online store with VoguePay‘s API to start accepting payments or invoices online.
- Online shopping carts. Create product codes to be used in conjunction with an integrated shopping basket on your website.
- Money transfers. VoguePay also offers money transfers to both merchants and everyday customers. For more information, read our review of VoguePay money transfers.
FeaturesVoguePay distinguishes its offerings with a number of helpful features:
- VoguePay wallet. Upon registering, you’ll receive access to a VoguePay wallet — a virtual holding account for transaction funds.
- Analytics. Monitor your sales, revenue and cash flow with weekly performance reports.
- Free website extensions. Integrate VoguePay with over 30 plug-ins, supporting the likes of WordPress, WooCommerce, Drupal, Joomla and more.
- Developer commission. Developers earn a 30% commission on any VoguePay plug-in or extension they develop that isn’t available in VoguePay‘s existing library.
VoguePay pricing and fees
International merchants located outside Nigeria can expect the following fees:
- Merchant verification. Getting setup on VoguePay starts with a $19.99 merchant verification fee.
- Transaction fee. Card processing fees start at 3.8% + $0.50.
- Withdrawal fee. Each time you withdraw funds from your VoguePay account, expect to pay 1.5% + $5.00.
- VoguePay wallet payment. You can use the funds in your VoguePay account to make payments but a 1% fee applies to every transfer.
How do I open an account with VoguePay?
Signing up for VoguePay can be done on its website:
- Go to VoguePay‘s website and click Get Started.
- Enter your full name, email address and phone number.
- Next, enter a username and password.
- Select your currency region and click Create Account.
- Verify your account by providing a certificate of business incorporation, government-issued ID and proof of address in the form of a utility bill, bank statement or bank reference letter.
Once your account has been verified, you can begin accepting online payments.
Pros and cons
- Internationally accepted. Accepts payments from anywhere in the world in all major currencies.
- No code-writing required. Thanks to the help of its library of plug-ins and extensions, you don’t need to be a technical whiz to integrate VoguePay‘s API.
- Transparent pricing. Regardless of how competitive its rates and fees are, VoguePay openly displays its pricing information on its website.
- Multiple fees. Transaction fees are to be expected but ongoing withdrawal fees may start to bite at your bottom line.
- No POS hardware. VoguePay doesn’t offer any POS support for merchants looking to sell in-person.
- Limited support. Contacting customer service must be done through email or by contacting support teams in London or Nigeria.
- Held funds. For merchants based outside Nigeria, there’s a five-day holding period on all transactions.
- High minimums. Before you can withdraw funds to your business checking account, you’ll need to accumulate at least $1,500 USD in your online VoguePay Wallet.
- Website security. VoguePay advertises that its payment gateway maintains SSL-certification and PCI-compliance, but the VoguePay blog was flagged by our browsers as a security threat.
What other products will I need?
You’ll need to link an existing business checking account to withdraw funds from your VoguePay Wallet:
- Checking account. To access payments processed by VoguePay, you’ll need to add a business checking account to withdraw available funds.
What is VoguePay?VoguePay was founded in Nigeria in 2012. It is one of the largest online payment processors in Africa and has offices located in Lagos, Nigeria and London, England.
It offers two distinct accounts: a personal account for online money transfers and a business account that offers payment processing and payment gateways.
Customer reviews and complaintsVoguePay doesn’t have a Better Business Bureau listing but does appear on Trustpilot. It maintains a TrustScore of 3.4 out of 5 based on 135 customer reviews. On Facebook, it has a score of 4.1 out of 5 based on the feedback of 145 customers.
Despite some customer support limitations, many positive reviews cite a satisfying experience with customer support via Facebook Messenger. Customers report that the VoguePay team was quick to respond to complaints.
But not everything is positive. Many complaints mention transaction holds and difficulty withdrawing funds from the VoguePay Wallet.
How do I contact VoguePay support?
There are three ways to get in touch with VoguePay:
- Phone. Customer service is available by phone 24 hours a day on weekdays at +44(0)2036683701.
- Email. Contact customer support by email at email@example.com.
- Facebook. Chat with a member of VoguePay‘s support team by reaching out via Facebook Messenger.
Compare merchant services providers
Bottom lineVoguePay offers payment gateways and processing support for online international merchants. While its transparent pricing and easy-to-implement APIs count in its favor, it imposes a number of restrictions on merchants looking to access deposited funds.
Review your processing options with additional providers before you make a decision.