Square E-commerce review
You’ll get a free website but only after you agree to take Square on as your processor.
Most know Square’s proprietary white card reader, but this merchant service provider’s offerings go far beyond point-of-sale (POS) hardware. Is Square’s free online store builder the best fit for your business? Here’s what to consider before you sign up.
- Choose this provider if you want to open an online store and prefer to use a design template.
- Consider something else if you don’t want Square as your processor and want more control over the design of your website.
Shopping cart software
|Prices start at||$0/mo + processing fees of 2.9% + 30¢|
What's in this review?
- Square’s e-commerce services
- Pricing and fees
- How much technical experience do I need?
- How do I contact Square support?
- What design options does it have?
- Pros and cons
- Customer reviews and complaints
- How do I sign up with Square?
- What is Square?
- Compare merchant services providers
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Square’s e-commerce services
Square has plenty to offer in the e-commerce department:
- Payment processing. Square’s Online Store features integrated payment processing that allows you to accept credit cards, Square gift cards, Apple Pay and Google Pay.
- Website builder. Create a website from the ground up without touching a line of code using Square’s design templates.
- Inventory management. Square’s POS software keeps your inventory organized both online and in-store.
- Facebook ads. Create targeted Facebook ads to drive online sales.
- Social media integration. Advertise and sell across Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram.
- Product reviews. Ask happy customers for feedback and post reviews to your website.
- Abandoned cart emails. Remind customers to complete a purchase with abandoned cart emails.
Pricing and fees
Square’s e-commerce offerings are split into four service tiers. No matter which tier you choose, you’ll be expected to pay Square’s processing rate each time you make a sale. Each service tier builds on the features of the preceding tiers.
|Monthly fee||Processing rate||Features|
|Professional||$12 monthly||2.9% +$0.30|
|Performance||$26 monthly||2.9% +$0.30|
|Premium||$72 monthly||2.6% +$0.30|
How much technical experience do I need?
Square’s websites are hosted by Weebly, so there’s nothing to download or install. And according to Square’s website, you don’t need any coding skills to build your online store. Using its design templates, you can simply plug in your products and begin processing payments. Square suggests the typical amount of time required to build a website using its software is one week.
Square support is available by phone during business hours, but it also offers an impressive support center with 36 distinct topic umbrellas, covering everything from fees and pricing to inventory and item management.
How do I contact Square support?
Get in touch with Square by:
- Phone. Call 800-474-3398 weekdays from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., PT.
- Email. Fill out an online form from your Square account for a response from the support team within one business day.
What design options does it have?
Square offers unique design templates for a variety of industries, including retail, restaurants, services, nonprofits and more.
You can import your logo, showcase featured products, offer in-store pickup and delivery options, connect your Instagram account, accept online donations, set up appointment booking and collect visitor email addresses to build your marketing strategy.
Pros and cons
- Free services. The free tier of Square’s e-commerce service includes unlimited products, inventory management and SEO tools — you only pay a processing fee when you make a sale.
- Social media integration. Sell from Instagram and Facebook with Square’s social media integration feature.
- Transparent pricing. The prices for each of Square’s e-commerce service tiers are listed on its website.
- Limited support. Square’s customer support is only available by phone on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., PT.
- Square advertising. To remove Square ads from your website, you’ll need to upgrade to the Professional service tier.
- Payment processing required. Square’s e-commerce solutions are only available to merchants willing to use Square to process payments.
Customer reviews and complaints
Square’s Better Business Bureau (BBB) reputation isn’t favorable — it receives an F rating and has an active alert in place for failing to respond to customer complaints. On TrustPilot, Square earns a 4.7 out of 5 TrustScore based on 1,523 reviews.
A majority of customer complaints call out Square’s Cash app: an app that allows you to send and receive payments from your phone. Customers warn of fraudulent charges and abrupt account closures. Negative feedback notwithstanding, Square’s customer service receives high marks and the company is praised for easy merchant onboarding.
How do I sign up with Square?
Open your Square Online Store by heading to its website:
- Click Start a free online store.
- Enter your full name, email address and country of residence. Create a password.
- Enter your business name, employer identification number and estimated annual revenue. Click Continue.
- Select your business industry. Click Continue.
- Enter your full name, residential address, date of birth, phone number and Social Security Number. Click Submit.
Square will review your application. Most applications are approved within 15 minutes. If approved, you’ll have access to the Square Online Store platform to begin building your website.
What other products will I need?
The Square Online Store bundles online payment processing with website templates to help you build an online store and accept customer payments. Should you decide you also require in-person POS hardware, it can offer that too. Square’s merchant services are comprehensive and can be scaled to meet the demands of your growing business.
What is Square?
Square is a merchant services provider founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, California. It offers a holistic range of processing services and features, including payment processing, POS services and e-commerce solutions.
Compare merchant services providers
Square’s e-commerce offerings include an online website builder, inventory tools, social media integration and more. But to sign up, you’ll need to agree to use Square as your payment processor.
Review your e-commerce options with other providers to make sure you find the best fit for your business.