It offers pay-as-you-go shipping rates but it doesn’t support all e-commerce platforms.
Interested in Shippo? You’ll get discounted carrier rates, branded shipping emails and real-time shipping updates. But its software integrations and customer support options are limited.
- Choose this provider if Shippo integrates with your e-commerce platform and preferred shipping carriers.
- Consider something else if you prefer more robust customer support or use a platform outside Shippo’s partner network.
How does Shippo compare to competitors?
Shippo's shipping, tracking and software options are mostly on par with competitors. It's one of the few services that offer flat-rate pay-as-you-go shipping but its monthly fees are a few dollars more expensive than competitors like ShippingEasy and ShipStation.
Its roster of features includes batch label printing, order splitting, pickup scheduling and more. And like its competitors, it offers a free 30-day trial, carrier rate discounts and tiered monthly plans that scale by shipping volume.
The only place Shippo falls short is the scale and depth of its reporting software. Competitors ShipBob and ShipStation offer the same analytics as Shippo, but with the added benefit of inventory reporting, stock alerts and storage costs.
Shippo offers practical shipping, tracking and returns features.
Shippo shipping features include batch label printing, US and global address validation and order splitting, along with the following:
- Rate comparison. Compare discounted shipping rates across multiple carriers.
- Pickup scheduling. Schedule a USPS or DHL Express pickup.
- Branded shipping. Incorporate your brand into shipping notification emails.
- International orders. Take advantage of prefilled customs forms on international orders.
- Carrier manifests. Create carrier manifests and USPS SCAN forms for group shipments so carriers know what’s included in a shipment.
Tracking and returns
It offers real-time order updates and standardized tracking across shipping carriers, alongside:
- Tracking history. Include a shipment’s carrier, shipping service, location, time and status in its tracking history.
- ETA updates. Offer real-time ETAs so customers know when to expect an order.
- Branded tracking. Brand your customer tracking pages for increased brand awareness.
- Return labels. Create return labels for stored orders in your shipping history.
- Return shipping options. Opt for a different shipping service on product returns.
Pricing and fees
Shippo’s core features include Shippo’s web app, API access, discounted USPS rates, global carrier discounts, US address validation and email support. Additional features available to the Professional and Premier service tiers include custom branding, live chat support, multipiece shipments and à la carte package tracking and address verification.
Pay a flat fee for each shipment
A monthly subscription service with rates that are based on how much you ship
An enterprise-level plan with access to all of Shippo’s core and advanced features
$0.05 each shipment plus cost of postage
Prices vary by business
1.25% of package value, $1 minimum
1% of package value, $1 minimum
1% of package value, $1 minimum
Global address validation
$0.09 each address
$0.08 each address
$0.06 each address
Live chat and email
Live chat and email
Live chat and email
Shippo’s shipping analytics offer many of the reporting essentials you expect: shipping history, labels purchased, average price per package and shipping expenses.
Its in-house reporting is adequate, but lacks the scale and depth of shipping software competitors ShipBob and ShipStation. They offer the same analytics as Shippo, but with inventory reporting, stock alerts and storage costs.
Pros and cons
- Free trial. Explore Shippo’s Professional service tier for free for 30 days — no credit card required.
- Flexible pricing. Whether you opt to pay as you go or sign up for a monthly plan, Shippo’s tiered pricing helps you only pay for what you need.
- Discounted carrier rates. Shippo advertises discounts of up to 90% on USPS retail rates.
- Limited support. You won’t gain access to Shippo’s live chat or phone support unless you sign up for a monthly plan.
- Limited integrations. Shippo only integrates with 15 online marketplaces and e-commerce platforms. And if Shippo doesn’t support your platform, you must manually enter your orders by uploading a CSV file.
Shippo reviews and complaints
As of October 2020, Shippo reviews are mixed — its Better Business Bureau (BBB) reputation leaves room for improvement but its Shopify App Store rating is impressively high.
Even though Shippo was founded in 2013, its BBB page wasn’t opened until 2017. The BBB tends to penalize young companies, which could account for its lack of BBB accreditation. It also receives a D+ rating for failing to respond to a complaint.
On Shopify, Shippo boasts a 4 out of 5-star rating based on 479 customer reviews. It receives praise for its easy-to-navigate software and flexible pricing model. Most complaints target Shippo’s limited customer support. A few intermittent software bugs have also been reported, including inconsistently applied discount rates and difficulty saving business shipping information.
How do I sign up with Shippo?
Get started with Shippo from the home page of its website:
- Click Sign Up Free.
- Enter your full name, email address and create a password.
- Click Get Discounted Shipping.
- Enter your business name and phone number.
- Select your store platform, primary shipping carrier and monthly shipment volume.
- Click Finish Setup.
Based on the information you provide, Shippo walks you through connecting to Shippo’s software to your e-commerce store. Once it’s done, you’ll have access to Shippo’s web-based app.
What other providers does Shippo integrate with?
Shippo’s integrations include the following platforms:
- Craft Commerce
- Reaction Commerce
- Spree Commerce
- APC Postal Logistics
- CDL Last Mile Solutions
- DHL Express
Order and inventory
- Freestyle Solutions
- Orange Manager
Finance and enterprise resource planning (ERP)
- DYK Post
- Return Magic
- SPS Commerce
Compare shipping software
Shippo’s software offers online merchants access to discounted shipping rates and branded shipping solutions but its customer support and software integrations are limited.
Unsure about Shippo? Review your options with additional e-commerce providers for the software that best serves your business.
Frequently asked questions
How do I contact Shippo customer support?
Get in touch with Shippo by:
- Email. Email support is available weekdays from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and weekends from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., PT.
- Live chat. Agents are available via Shippo’s live chat feature weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., PT.
- Phone. Phone support is accessible weekdays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., PT.
Are there any cancellation fees?
No. Shippo’s service is available month-to-month with no associated cancellation fees, according to a rep we spoke with.
Does Shippo provide shipping supplies?
No, Shippo’s service is limited to web-based software accessible by any computer, tablet or mobile device with an Internet connection. You’re responsible for sourcing and purchasing all shipping supplies.