DivorceWriter online divorce review
One of the cheapest DIY divorce services — but customer support is currently limited to email.
DivorceWriter is a do-it-yourself online divorce service that’s best for couples going through an uncontested divorce. It helps you fill out your legal forms and charges the same flat rate for its divorce packages, whether or not you have children. But it doesn’t have the option to speak to a customer service rep over the phone if you have any questions.
|Includes filing papers with court?||
No - you must file and pay court fees
|File without spouse||
|Divorce papers reviewed?||No|
- Competitive pricing — it’ll refund you the difference if you find a provider that’s cheaper
- Unlimited revisions for two years
- Receive your documents by email within the hour
- 100% court approval guarantee — or your money back
- Customer support is only available through email due to the coronavirus
- No access to legal advice or counsel
- Charges a $9 shipping fee to mail your documents to you
- Not available in Missouri
How does DivorceWriter work?
DivorceWriter is an online divorce service that helps you prepare your legal forms. You’ll fill out a questionnaire, and the service will use your replies to populate the appropriate areas of your divorce papers — saving you the legal jargon headache.
Once your legal documents are complete, you’ll print and sign them. DivorceWriter will also give you specific instructions on the filing process so you can head to the courthouse to make everything official by submitting the paperwork with the county clerk.
How much does DivorceWriter cost?
DivorceWriter costs $137 for its divorce package — regardless of whether you have kids. You can download your legal forms for free or have them mailed to you for $9.
Is there guaranteed court approval?
Yes. DivorceWriter will give you a full refund if the court doesn’t accept your documents. To qualify, you’ll need to inform them which documents were rejected and why they weren’t accepted. DivorceWriter may also request written proof that the court denied your legal forms.
How to file for divorce online with DivorceWriter
Answer a few questions, and DivorceWriter will handle the legal forms of your divorce paperwork. Here’s how to use DivorceWriter:
- Go to the DivorceWriter website and click Start the process.
- Answer its four-question survey to see if you qualify for an online divorce.
- If you do, complete its divorce interview.
- Enter your payment information.
- Download and print your completed documents or have DivorceWriter ship your forms.
- Sign your forms, but make sure to check the filing instructions to see whether your state requires a notarized signature.
- Take your divorce packet to your local county clerk to file for divorce.
Pros and cons of DivorceWriter
Here are some benefits to choosing DivorceWriter:
- Competitive pricing. DivorceWriter has the lowest price we’ve seen yet, and it’ll refund you the difference if you find a provider that’s cheaper.
- Unlimited revisions for two years. Unlike its competitors that may only allow you to make minor changes to your documents within 30 days, DivorceWriter allows you to make as many revisions as you’d like for two years.
- Instant email delivery. Unlike its competitors that take a couple of business days to process your forms, you’ll receive your documents by email within the hour.
- 100% court approval guarantee. DivorceWriter is so confident in its legal forms that if the court rejects any of your documents, it’ll give you a full refund.
Consider these drawbacks before going with DivorceWriter:
- Limited customer service. Support is currently unavailable by phone because of the coronavirus. You’ll have to email them to get assistance. Fortunately, it took less than 10 minutes to get a response to our emails.
- No legal assistance. Unlike some online divorce services that offer access to legal guidance for an additional fee, DivorceWriter doesn’t have this available.
- Shipping fee. If you don’t have a printer to print out your legal forms, you’ll need to pay $9 to have DivorceWriter mail your documents to you. Some services will mail them to you for free.
- Not available in Missouri. You can use DivorceWriter in any state except Missouri.
DivorceWriter additional resources
DivorceWriter services go beyond generating your legal documents. It also offers:
- Help changing your name. If you would like to resume your maiden or former name, DivorceWriter will add the request to your divorce packet for free. You might need to pay an additional fee with the county clerk, depending on your state.
- Child support and custody assistance. DivorceWriter has state-specific child support calculators, as well as custody and parenting plans, to help you navigate an uncontested divorce with children.
Compare DivorceWriter to other online divorce services
While DivorceWriter might be the cheapest DIY online divorce service, it doesn’t offer extras, such as serving your spouse the papers or saving you the trip to the courthouse by filing your docs for you. See how DivorceWriter stacks up to its competition:
Is DivorceWriter legit?
Yes. DivorceWriter is part of the Pro Se Planning Inc. family, a company founded in 2000 that helps customers create their own legal documents. It stands by its up-to-date, state-specific legal documents and offers a 100% money-back guarantee that the court will accept your forms.
DivorceWriter reviews and complaints
DivorceWriter customer ratings are mostly positive as of September 2020. Users report that the process was easy and simple. The low customer ratings cite that the court rejected their forms, though in most cases, DivorceWriter refunded their money.
So far, it only has ratings from one online review site, Trustpilot:
|BBB||No rating available|
|BestCompany||No rating available|
|ConsumerAffairs.com||No rating available|
|Trustpilot||4.5 out of 5 stars based on 365+ reviews|
|Sitejabber||No rating available|
Ordinarily, you can get in touch with DivorceWriter’s customer service team by calling 800-928-7713 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. PT — but its call center is currently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, you’ll need to email info@DivorceWriter.com with any questions you have.
DivorceWriter is the cheapest do-it-yourself divorce service that we’ve seen so far. And it’s so confident that it has the lowest price in the industry that it’ll refund you the difference if you find a better price. But if you need help, your only choice is to email customer support.
Need an online divorce service where you can speak to someone on the phone? Check out our guide to getting divorced online for more options.