Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Dishwasher detergent buying guide
Compare tablet, powder and gel detergents, plus DIY alternatives.
Dishwasher detergent is essential for getting your dishes squeaky clean. Compare tablet, powder and gel types to decide which is the right product for your machine.
Compare some of the best dishwasher detergents
|Finish All in One Max||$39||Tablets||78 tablets||Yes||Buy now|
|Cascade Complete Gel||$6||Gel||75 oz||Yes||Buy now|
|Puracy Natural Dishwasher Detergent Packs||$14||Tablets||50 tablets||Yes||Buy now|
|Seventh Generation Auto Dish Powder||$22||Powder||2 75-oz boxes||Yes||Buy now|
|Cascade Platinum Plus||$19||Tablets||70 tablets||Yes||Buy now|
|OxiClean Extreme Power Crystals||$18||Tablets||41 tablets||Yes||Buy now|
|Finish Advanced Liquid||$5||Gel||75 oz||Yes||Buy now|
What is dishwasher detergent?
Dishwasher detergents are water-soluble cleaning products made specifically for washing dishes in a dishwasher. There are three main types: tablet, powder and gel.
- Tablets are small blocks of concentrated dishwashing powder that are put in the dispenser, or simply placed in the main dishwasher area.
- Powder can be poured or scooped into your dishwasher dispenser. It might be a better choice if your home has smaller washing needs and doesn’t require a full tablet.
- Gel is similar to dishwashing liquid used for washing dishes by hand. It can be poured into the dispenser and is usually the middle ground between powders and tablets in terms of pricing.
DIY dishwasher detergent alternatives
Several DIY detergent alternatives are also available. They’re typically compatible with most dishwashers, but may not perform as well as the commercial formulas. Keep in mind that using certain ingredients could void your dishwasher warranty. Check yours before trying a new DIY detergent.
When trying a DIY alternative for the first time, test a small batch first. The effectiveness of the formula can vary depending on your individual dishwasher and the type of water in your house.
Commonly used DIY dishwasher detergent ingredients include:
- Baking soda
- Vinegar (during rinse cycle)
- Citric acid
- Essential oils for fragrance
- Grated soap
- Baking powder
- Lemon juice
3 tips for making dishwasher detergent more effective
- Keep detergent fresh and dry. Store your detergent in a container away from moisture to prevent lumps. Only pour it into a cup when you’re ready to run a cycle. When powder detergent gets lumpy, throw it away.
- Use the right amount of detergent. Using the correct amount is important if using powdered or liquid detergent that is not pre-packaged.
- Determine how hard your water is. Depending on whether your water is soft or hard, your dishwasher will need a different amount of detergent for peak performance and to avoid damaging your dishes. As a rule of thumb, harder water needs more detergent. You can find out how hard your water is by checking your state/council website or by asking your water company.
Using the right dishwasher detergent can help you get squeaky clean dishes without having to scrub and soak them first. Compare different types to suit your washing needs and preferences.
How did we choose these products?
To choose our list of the best dishwashing detergents, we compared factors like type, price, efficiency and environmental-friendliness.
Frequently asked questions
What’s the difference between dishwasher detergent and dishwashing soap?
Dishwashing soap is made for washing dishes by hand. If used in the dishwasher, dishwashing soap can produce excess suds and cause your dishwasher to overflow, potentially causing leaks or flooding in your home and damage your dishwasher’s drainage system. Only use dishwasher detergent inside your dishwasher, since it’s been specifically formulated for this purpose.
What is rinse aid?
Rinse aid, or rinsing agent, is used in the rinse cycle to eliminate residue from food and detergent. It can enhance your dishwasher’s dry performance, minimizes water spotting on plates and glasses and prevents film from forming on dishes. It’s usually already included in tablets, but not in powder or gel detergents.
How safe is dishwasher detergent?
Many popular brands of detergent contain harmful chemicals. Ensure your detergent is stored out of reach of children and pets, in a child-resistant container and close the packaging properly each time. Detergent can be very dangerous if swallowed. Only fill your dishwasher with detergent just before starting a cycle. Afterwards, clean any residue immediately.
There are many safe and eco-friendly options available, but remember to check the labels before you buy anything.
More guides on Finder
10 best ski resorts in the US
Compare skiing, nightlife, cost of lift tickets and more at the top US ski resorts.
Compare capsule coffee machines
We’ll help you choose the right capsule coffee machine for your home or office. Compare specs and features for popular capsule coffee machines.
Singles Awareness Day self-care ideas
From yoga classes to a bestselling journal, here are some of the top gift ideas to give yourself for Anti-Valentine’s Day.
Where to buy a Thanksgiving turkey
These top online stores have fresh and frozen turkey in stock, plus holiday sides, desserts and more. See which stores offer same-day delivery and extra savings.
Where to buy 3M face masks online
Shop in-stock 3M face masks from verified online retailers. This page is updated regularly.
How to treat and prevent maskne
We broke down the nitty gritty of maskne, from the skincare products that treat pimples to tips for preventing mask-related breakouts.
Robinhood vs. Vanguard
Features and feedback to consider when comparing these investment platforms.
Where to buy black face masks online
Hunting for a simple black face mask? Find one at these online retailers. Plus, see which stores offer free delivery.
Betterment vs. Vanguard
What to consider when comparing these two investment services.
Robinhood vs. Stash
Compare features, feedback and limitations for these two platforms.
Ask an Expert