Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Discover it® Student Cash Back vs. Discover it® Chrome for Students
Two no-annual-fee student cards with cashback rewards.
All other perks and features are outlined in the table below.
Summary of card features
Discover it® Student Cash Back
- Good grades reward. Every school year you have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, you’ll get a $20 statement credit. This perk is good for up to five years.
- Earn cash back. Earn 5% cash back on categories that rotate each quarter on up to $1,500. After reaching the cap, you earn 1% cash back, which is the same rewards rate you earn on all other purchases.
- Cashback match. At the end of the first year, Discover will match the cash back you earned. This means if you earned $100 in cash back during your first year of card membership, Discover will automatically give you $100 more.
Discover it® Chrome for Students
- Earn 2% cash back on gas and dining on your first $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter
- After that earn 1% in these categories and on all other purchases
- No annual fee
- Cashback Match
What’s the difference between Discover it® Student Cash Back and Discover it® Chrome for Students?
- Discover it® Chrome for Students offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter, after which you’ll earn 1%.
- Meanwhile, Discover it® Student Cash Back offers 5% cash back in quarterly rotating categories on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter, after which you’ll earn 1%. These may include gas stations, wholesale clubs, restaurants, home improvement stores, Amazon.com and more.
With both cards, you’ll earn at least 1% cash back on everything you buy.
Picking the right card depends on your tastes. If you go out a lot, Discover it® Chrome for Students will give you solid cash back. If you don’t, the Discover it® Student Cash Back’s rotating categories may give you more chances to earn accelerated rewards.
Also consider your willingness to keep track of rotating categories. If you like fresh cashback options, the Discover it® Student Cash Back could be for you. Otherwise, you might prefer the consistency of Discover it® Chrome for Students.
Compare Discover credit cards
Ask an Expert