Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card review
Earn miles on every purchase at a decent rate.
finder.com’s rating: 3.7 / 5
- Get this card if you want solid, flat-rate miles on every purchase.
- Pick something else if you spend a lot in specific categories and want bonus rewards for that.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 and above.
Up to 1.5x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 14 months (then 11.99% to 22.99% variable)
Intro balance transfer
for the first 14 months (then 11.99% to 22.99% variable)
|Welcome Offer||Discover will match miles earned at the end of your first card year|
|Rewards||1.5x miles on all purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 14 months (then 11.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||10.99% intro for the first 14 months (then 11.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
Tiered rewards — when you get a varied number of points per category — can be effective depending on your spending habits. But for many people, flat-rate rewards can be a better choice.Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card offers a flat rewards rate on every purchase, regardless of category. The card also has redemption options that make it a valuable travel tool or a reliable cashback product.
How to apply for the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card
- Navigate to the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card website and click Apply now.
- Enter your full name and pick a card design.
- Complete the application with information such as your name, date of birth, Social Security number and annual income.
- Review your application and submit it.
- No annual fee. Discover cards don’t have annual fees.
- Rewards. Earn 1.5x miles on all purchases. This is a standard rate for no-annual-fee rewards cards. According to Discover, each mile is worth 1 cent each, giving you a 1.5% rewards rate on every purchase.
Redeem miles for cash back to your account or statement credits on purchases including flights, hotel stays, restaurants and gas stations, or payments at Amazon.com or Paypal.
- Mile match. Discover will match miles earned at the end of your first card year. For example, if you earn 20,000 miles, Discover will award you an additional 20,000 miles.
- Intro APR period on purchases.
Get 0% on purchases for the first 14 months of card membership. After the intro APR expires, your balance will accrue interest at a 11.99% to 22.99% variable APR. Most intro APRs top out at around 20 months.
- No fee for your first late payment. This is an unusual but welcome perk you won’t find with most other providers.
- Free FICO score. Monitoring your FICO score can help you keep your finances in check. Your monthly Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card score is pulled from TransUnion, one of the three major credit bureaus in the United States.
- Freeze it through Discover’s app. You can deactivate a lost credit card in just a few seconds on Discover’s mobile app.
Signup bonus: Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card vs. Bank of America® Travel Rewards Credit Card
The Bank of America® Travel Rewards Credit Card offers 25,000 points — worth $250 — after you make $1,000 in purchases within the first 90 days.
With the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card, the equivalent is 25,000 points. That’s $16,667 in spending, or about $1,389 a month.
If you spend less than this, the Bank of America® Travel Rewards Credit Card could offer a stronger signup bonus. But with heavy first-year spending, you could land a bonus worth well over $250 with the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card.
What to watch out for
- Make balances transfers within the promotional period. Transfers that post after the cutoff date will accrue interest immediately at a 11.99% to 22.99% variable APR.
- The value of the signup bonus depends on your spending during your first card year. The card has an unusual signup bonus. With most cards, you can earn a bonus within a few months. But with the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card, you have to wait at least a year. Consider your spending and calculate the rewards you might earn. If they won’t translate to a substantial signup bonus, you may want to consider another card.
Compare travel credit cards
Compare Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card with other cards
What should I know before I apply?
You may apply for the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card if you’re:
- A US resident.
- At least 18 years old.
- Full name.
- Email address and phone number.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Employment status, total annual gross income and monthly housing payment.
What credit score do I need?
Consumers with good to excellent credit scores typically have better odds of approval for travel credit cards.
Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card reviews and complaints
Some customers say Discover customer service can be unhelpful and the company can be unforgiving for late payments. Consumers sometimes say their accounts have been closed unexpectedly.
Other customers say they like the consistency of the card’s rewards. Some see it as a product that pays dividends over the long term.
Discover Financial Services has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has been accredited by the agency since 1989. Like many other credit card companies, however, its average rating is just over one out of five stars.
The company has over 800 customer complaints at the time of this writing. According to the BBB, most of them have been answered or resolved.
I got the card. Now what?
- Activate your credit card and create an online account. Head to the Discover website and click Activate credit card. You can also click Register account to create a Discover account.
With an online Discover account, you can check your balance and pay your bill.
- Work toward the signup bonus. Many other cards let you earn a signup bonus after a few months. With the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card, you’ll need to wait significantly longer, but Discover will match all miles earned in your first card year.
- Take advantage of the intro APR. Your card’s terms and conditions will tell you when you must make transfers by to qualify for the balance transfer intro APR.
- Avoid fees and interest. You could pay Up to $40 starting your second late payment. You could also pay Up to $40 for each returned payment.
If you pay off your balance in full each month, you can leverage the card’s grace period on interest. The grace period is at least 25 days after the end of each billing period, or at least 23 days for billing periods that begin in February.
- Contact customer support. If you have issues with your card, call 800-DISCOVER (800-347-2683) to reach customer support. You can also message an agent via the Discover website.
- Electronic deposit to a bank account.
- Credit for eligible purchases on your card statement you’ve made within the past 180 days. These include airfare, hotel stays, car rentals, travel agents, commuter transportation,online travel sites, restaurants and gas stations.
- Pay with miles at checkout with Amazon.com or Paypal.
How do I redeem miles from the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card?
Log in to your Discover account to redeem your miles. Redemption options include:
According to Discover, each mile is worth 1 cent each.
The Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card offers a solid 1.5x miles on every purchase. That can be especially attractive if you don’t want to deal with tiered rewards.
The card’s signup bonus may take a year to kick in, but it can be worth it depending on your spending.
If you’re unsure about the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card, compare other travel credit cards before applying.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.