Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Discover balance transfer credit cards
Request up to three balance transfers as you apply for a card.
Check out Discover cards if you’re looking to make a balance transfer, want an intro APR, no annual fees and rewards.
Compare Discover balance transfer credit cards
At the time of this writing, Discover offers three cards with balance transfer intro APRs:
What's in this guide?
How to apply for a balance transfer with Discover
- Pick a balance transfer card and check its details.
Scroll down the Discover product page to see the card’s intro APR, ongoing APR and balance transfer fee. Then click Apply now.
- Apply for the card.
On the application, look for a link for balance transfers. For example, it might say “Get a great balance transfer offer and transfer up to three balances.” As you input your transfer amounts, Discover calculates your fee. Click Save balance transfer when you’re ready to proceed.
- Finish your application.
Click Continue to terms. Read over your terms and details, then submit your application.
- Wait for your balance transfer to complete.
Keep making payments to your creditors as you wait for your balance transfer to complete. This helps you avoid late fees and a drop in your credit score.
How to make a Discover balance transfer online
- Log in to your online Discover account.
- On the dashboard, look for the balance transfer page on the right. Click Transfer balances.
- Review the offers available to you and click Select this offer.
- Select whether you want to pay off credit cards or loans, or transfer funds into your checking account.
- For a credit card balance transfer, enter details such as your card’s account number and how much you wish to transfer.
- Review your transfer details and submit your request.
How to make a Discover balance transfer over the phone
- Call the Discover support number on the back of your card.
- Tell the representative you want to make a balance transfer.
- Give the representative information such as your card’s account number and how much you want to transfer.
- Verify with the representative that your balance transfer is now processing.
How long will it take to complete a balance transfer with Discover?
According to Discover, it’ll take at least 14 days for a balance transfer to complete.
Apply for a Discover credit card if:
- You’re at least 18 years old.
- You’re a United States resident.
- You have a valid Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
What do I need to apply?
Have the following information on hand to apply for a Discover card:
- Full name
- Mailing address, email address and phone number
- Date of birth and Social Security number
- Employment status, total annual gross income, and monthly housing or rent payment
- Balance transfer information including your creditor’s name, your account number with the creditor and the amount you want to transfer.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of a balance transfer with Discover?
Here’s why you might want to transfer a balance with Discover:
- Solid intro APRs. Discover’s intro APR periods on purchases and balance transfers are slightly longer than you might find with other comparable credit cards.
- Earn rewards. This provides an incentive to keep the card even after your intro APR expires with cash back and rewards.
- No annual fee. None of Discover’s cards have annual fees.
- Relatively long period to make a transfer. Typically, you have around 90 days to transfer balances that qualify for the intro APR.
Here’s why Discover might be the wrong balance transfer provider for you:
- No travel card with a balance transfer intro APR. Other providers offer travel cards with balance transfer intro APRs. Barclaycard, for example, has a wide collection of cobranded travel cards with balance transfer promotions.
What debts are eligible for a balance transfer with Discover?
Transfer debt from …
- Non-Discover credit cards
- Specialty store and gas cards
- School or auto loans
You can’t transfer debt from…
- Discover credit cards
Note that you can’t transfer balances between Discover cards. This type of policy is standard across the credit card industry. This is because issuers offer balance transfers to attract customers from other banks.
I got the card. Now what?
- Confirm with Discover that your balance transfer is complete. When you receive confirmation, make necessary arrangements with your previous creditors to close your old accounts.
- Make payments on time. Consider setting up automatic payments so you’re never late and don’t risk losing your intro APR.
- Contact customer support. Call 800-347-2683 if you have questions about your account. You can also message an agent via live chat on the Discover website or tweet the bank @Discover.
Our pick for a balance transfer credit card
Citi® Double Cash CardRead more
Discover can be a good option if you want a balance transfer promotion and rewards.
If you’re not sure a Discover card is best for you, consider balance transfer cards from other providers.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert