Direct Auto commercial car insurance review
Flexible plans for southeastern companies with up to 20 vehicles.
- Get a quote if you’re looking for customizable coverage
- Pick something else if you want seamless mobile account management.
- Over 600 types of businesses can find coverage for fleets of up to 20 vehicles.
|States served||Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia|
|Pay schedule||monthly, custom|
|New car protection||No|
- Discounts and savings of 25% or more
- Flexible payment options
- Customized services
- DirectDrive app
- Limited coverage in only 11 states
- Low customer service ratings
- Claims by phone only
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Bundling discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 25%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
What commercial car insurance coverage does Direct Auto offer?
You can buy a 6- or 12-month commercial car insurance policy from Direct Auto. Common coverages include:
- Liability. When your business is held responsible for bodily injury or property damage after an accident, this will help cover the other driver’s losses.
- Underinsured motorist. Covers you for damages if a driver with insufficient car insurance hits one of your vehicles.
- Medical payments. Helps pay for hospital bills in case of injury due to an accident.
- Hired auto and employer’s non-ownership liability. Provides coverage for bodily injuries or property damage that you or your employees cause while on the job, in “hired” vehicles like rental cars and employee’s personal cars.
- Collision comprehensive. Secures coverage for losses that aren’t caused by a collision, like vandalism or hail.
- Fire and theft with CAC. Limited liability coverage designed specifically for larger trucks. It helps pay to replace or repair your coverage in case of events like fire, theft or bad weather like flooding or earthquakes.
Where can I get commercial car insurance from Direct Auto?
Direct Auto sells car insurance to businesses in the following states:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
What features does Direct Auto offer for business?
Direct Auto will insure fleets of up to 20 vehicles for over 600 types of businesses, from landscaping to publishing, consulting and more. It offers the following benefits for policyholders:
- Automatic payments. Set up payments to minimize monthly hassle.
- SR-22 filings. It’ll file proof that your car insurance is in line with state minimums required by law.
- High coverage amounts. Choose from limits ranging from state minimums up to $1 million. Though you may want to work with a financial expert to ensure the $1 million cap is enough protection.
- Unlimited additional insured drivers. Add an unlimited amount of drivers to certain policies.
What discounts does Direct Auto offer?
Direct Auto advertises that you can save up to 15% in discounts, though you’ll need to work with an agent to find out which ones apply to you. You could potentially save money for:
- New and preferred businesses. First time customers can get special perks.
- Associations. If you’re a member of the chamber of commerce in your area or a similar group, you might be eligible for lower rates.
- Affiliated packages. Local offices can design special packages for each particular partnership.
- Paid-in-full policies. Settle the bill annually instead of monthly to cut costs.
- In-agency transfers. Discounts for keeping business with Direct Auto.
What types of commercial vehicles does Direct Auto cover?
Get Direct Auto commercial insurance for the following vehicle types:
- Boom Truck
- Dump Truck
- Step Van
- Straight Truck
- Utility Truck
How reliable is Direct Auto?
The BBB gives Direct Auto a C+ rating, though it’s not accredited. 43 customer reviews average out to just one star, with most complaints stemming from a poor claims process and lack of communication. Direct Auto has responded to each negative review with an explanation, but its responses overall lack timeliness, empathy and helpfulness. It’s important to note that none of the reviews were specifically for Direct Auto’s business coverage.
AM Best gave it a B — or fair — rating for financial stability.
Pros and cons of Direct Auto commercial car insurance
Direct Auto offers thorough coverage for businesses, but may not be best for every strategy. Before committing, consider the benefits and drawbacks:
- More lenient about insurance history. It claims to help you get the best rates — even if you have a spotty record — and specializes in non-standard auto insurance for “high risk” individuals.
- Convenient brick-and-mortar locations. With over 400 neighborhood locations in 12 states, there’s a high chance you’ll be able to meet with an agent face-to-face.
- Flexible payment options. You can settle the bill online or in person, via credit or debit card, cash, check or even by text.
- Build-your-own billing schedule. Plan out payments according to your unique budget instead of being forced to submit to a monthly system.
- Instant proof of insurance. You’ll get proof of insurance right away, accessible via smartphone.
- Limited to certain southeastern states. It’s available in 12 states across the nation, which might be inconvenient if your business is planning on expanding to new territory.
- No online quotes. To get specifics about how much Direct Auto will cost your company, you’ll need to talk with an agent.
- No app for mobile management. Its smartphone experience isn’t as slick as you may find with an industry giant.
Alternatives to Direct Auto
How to contact Direct Auto
Get in touch with Direct Auto’s customer service any time.
- Phone. Dial 877-463-4732 and press 1 for customer service and 2 to get a quote.
- Live chat. IM a representative from the website.
- Email. Send a secure message online and they’ll respond to your email.
- In person. To find a store near you, visit the website, enter your ZIP code in its store locator and click Find Store.
Direct Auto’s flexible acceptance policies and regional presence might match your business’s needs. But if you want to find something with nationwide coverage or different perks, compare commercial providers to find a better fit.