Deserve® Classic Card review
Please note: This card has been discontinued, and it is not available on our site.
- Get this card if you’re new to credit.
- Pick something else if you don’t want to share your bank account information.
- Apply if you’re new to credit or have a fair to good credit score of at least 650.
How to apply for the Deserve® Classic Card
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
- You may be asked to connect your bank account. This lets Deserve read and analyze your financial records to determine whether you’re eligible if you’re new to credit. If you are, it will help them determine an appropriate credit limit. The company can’t make changes to the linked bank account.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to get my Deserve® Classic Card?
The Deserve website has automated conditional approval, so you’ll often get a decision within a minute. In some cases, more information may be needed and you’ll have to wait a few business days to a few weeks to receive a response.
If approved, you’ll likely receive your new card in the mail within seven to 10 business days.
When other banks say no, Deserve may welcome you
Deserve has a non-traditional process for customer screening. When considering your application, it looks at factors like your education, future employability and projected earnings — not just your credit score. This could help you get a credit card when other banks might deny you just because you’re new to credit.
If you have a credit score, you’ll have a better chance of approval with a fair to good score of 650 or higher.
- No deposit required. If you’re new to credit, you may be mostly limited to secured credit cards — which require you to put down a security deposit. The Deserve® Classic Card does not have this requirement. This can be helpful since you won’t have to lock down the $200 or $300 that you’d otherwise deposit for a secured card.
- No prior credit history required. Deserve welcomes customers who are new to credit, and it uses proprietary methods to assess how responsible of a cardholder you’ll be.
- Up to $1,500 credit limit. Any credit line over a few hundred dollars is a good deal for a credit-building product, especially since you might need to provide a security deposit with other cards. To get a $1,500 credit limit with a secured card, you’d need to put down a deposit of $1,500 or more.
- Upgrade to the Deserve® PRO or Deserve® Edu Card with good credit behavior. The Deserve® PRO and Deserve® Edu Card offer cash back, higher maximum credit limits and no annual fees. You may be able to upgrade to them with good credit behavior, such as paying your bills on time and staying within your credit limit.
You’ll also like …
- No foreign transaction fees. An unexpected but welcome perk. You won’t pay a fee when you use your card abroad or on a foreign website.
- No overlimit fees. You won’t be charged a fee if you go over your credit limit. That’s good news if you feel you’ve had trouble managing your available credit in the past.
- Mastercard purchase and travel benefits. When you pay for your wireless bill with your card, your phone is covered against damage or theft up to $600.
Eligible purchases you make with your card will receive price protection and extended warranties. You’ll also get access to travel assistance services when you’re traveling 50 miles or more from home.
Contact roadside assistance whenever your car breaks down on the road. Also, when you pay for your car rental with your card, you’ll receive a complimentary collision damage waiver.
What to watch out for
- No balance transfers or cash advances. This isn’t entirely a bad thing, as this card is mainly for building credit. Balance transfers can be tricky, especially when it comes to transfer fees and avoiding interest. Cash advances typically come with sky-high APRs, which can also put a damper on your ability to build credit.
- High APR. The 22.99% variable purchase APR is a relatively high interest rate. The average credit card APR is around 16%. Consider paying off your balance each month to avoid accruing interest on your balance.
Compare unsecured cards that can help you build credit
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Deserve® Classic Card, you must be at least 18 years old.
Information you’ll need
- Full name and contact information
- Residential status
- Annual income, source of income and employment information
- Social Security number and mother’s maiden name
- Current bank account information if you’re a US citizen or permanent resident
What credit score do I need?
If you don’t have a credit history, you’re the target customer for this card and more than welcome to apply.
If you have a credit history, you’ll have a better chance of approval if you apply with at least a fair to good credit score of 650. If you have a good to excellent score of 670 or higher, consider applying for a market-leading card.
Deserve® Classic Card reviews and complaints
Many customers say this card is helpful for building credit. However, other customers say they’ve run into logistical difficulties: poor customer service, bills erroneously reported as unpaid, difficulty getting replacement cards and more. Some also say they feel uncomfortable linking their bank accounts.
Deserve is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). It currently has six complaints on its profile, all of which have been resolved or answered according to the BBB.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make your payments on time. Pay one-off card bills online at the Deserve website, or enroll in autopay to avoid missing payments.
- Avoid interest. You can take advantage of the 23 day grace period to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late payments come with fees of up to $25, and returned payments have fees of up to $37.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Deserve support at 800-418-2362. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m., PST.
Pound for pound, the Deserve® Classic Card isn’t the most high-powered product. It doesn’t come with perks like rewards or a signup bonus. However, this product doesn’t require a deposit and could be your path to more lucrative cards.
Not convinced it’s the right card for you? Visit our comprehensive guide to credit cards and compare your options.
Frequently asked questions
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
Because Deserve uses proprietary methods to gauge how responsibly you’ll use your card, it can offer a legitimate unsecured product when other providers might offer only secured cards. What’s more, if you use your card responsibly, you may be able to upgrade to one of Deserve’s other credit cards and earn rewards.