Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card review
A high-end card for those who enjoy comfort, luxury and perks on Delta flights.
finder.com’s rating: 4.3 / 5
- Get this card if you often fly Delta and want to enjoy luxury benefits.
- Pick something else if you want cashback rewards or a card with an intro APR on balance transfers.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 3x
15.74% to 24.74%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome offer||Limited Time Offer: Earn 80,000 miles, 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs), and a $200 statement credit after spending $5,000 in your first 3 months. Offer Ends 11/10/2021.|
|Rewards||3x miles on direct Delta purchases and 1x miles on all other purchases on up to $150,000 in a calendar year, then 1.5x miles on non-Delta purchases the rest of the year|
|Purchase APR||15.74% to 24.74% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The $550-a-year Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card is made for business owners who spend more than $30,000 on Delta flights per year. It comes with a generous welcome offer of 80,000 bonus miles, 20,000 Medallion Qualification Miles, and a $200 statement credit after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of opening your account, an offer that ends on November 10, 2021.
You earn 3 miles on every dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta — miles you can redeem for flights, seat upgrades, gift cards or shopping. These rewards aren’t the highest out there, and a little disappointing for a luxury card given you’ll find the same rate with products like the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
However, Delta-specific perks give the card high value. Among the benefits you get with the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card are complimentary access to Delta Sky Club® and Centurion lounges, concierge service, Zone 1 priority boarding, free first checked bag for up to nine passengers, a yearly companion certificate and more.
How to apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card?
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with all the required information about your business and any employees who will receive the card.
- Review your application and submit it.
- You can also apply by phone by calling 1-888-781-6736.
How long will it take to be approved?
The approval is instant if the information you provided is accurate and complete and all of the requirements for the card are met.
How long will it take to get my card?
Upon approval, you’ll receive the card in three to four business days via UPS.
- Welcome offer. Earn 80,000 bonus miles, 20,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) and a $200 statement credit after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of opening your account. This valuable offer ends November 10, 2021.
- Earn Delta miles. Earn 3 miles on every dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta and 1 mile per dollar spent on all other purchases. You can redeem these points for flights, seat upgrades, gift cards, shopping and more. A new addition to the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card is the ability to earn 1.5x miles per dollar spent instead of 1x miles on eligible purchases. To make the jump to this rate, you’ll need to spend $150,000 in a calendar year on your card.
- Delta Sky Club® and Centurion lounge access. Get complimentary access to Delta Sky Club® and a discounted pass for up to 2 guests for $39 each when flying with Delta. Enjoy food and beverages, Wi-Fi, personalized flight assistance, private restrooms and more at 45 Delta Sky Club locations worldwide. Save $708 in a year if you visit Delta Sky Club® once a month, since a single-visit pass was valued at $59 while Delta still offered it. New to the card is complimentary access to Amex Centurion lounges when you book your Delta flight with your credit card.
- Concierge service. Call this service at 1-800-525-3355 if you need to book a restaurant, arrange a special event or help picking out the right gift.
- Status Boost®. Spend $30,000 on purchases in a year and earn 15,000 MQMs. You can earn these MQMs up to 4 times each year for each $30,000 you spend. With these 15,000 MQMs and the 10,000 MQMs from your welcome offer, you’ll reach Silver Medallion Status. Note that Delta no longer offers bonus miles to go along with the MQMs earned through this perk.
- Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit. Your card comes with a credit for your Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee. The credit renews every four years for your Global Entry application fee and every four and a half years for your TSA PreCheck application fee.
How much are SkyMiles® worth?
The value of SkyMiles® varies depending on the service or product that you want to redeem them for. Here are some examples of how you can use your miles based on the SkyMiles website at the time of writing:
- $250 Delta gift card. Buy this for 35,700 miles, which works out to $0.70 per mile.
- Samsonite 20″ carry-on bag. Worth $150, you can buy this for 26,600 miles, which works out to around $0.56 per mile.
- Apple MacBook Pro 13″ Worth $1,299, you can buy this for 258,200 miles, which works out to $0.50 per mile.
- Round-trip domestic fares. Worth $130, these fares start at 10,000 miles, which works out to $1.3 cents per mile. Taxes and fees are not included.
To find the best value for your miles, divide the cash price by the miles required to pay for the service. The higher the number you get, the higher the value for your miles.
At the SkyMiles® Marketplace, flights have the highest value per mile. In order to make the most of your Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card, you may want to only redeem your miles for flights.
Data obtained at the time of writing. Values are subject to change and should be used only as a general guide.
You’ll also like
- Priority boarding. Get Zone 1 priority boarding on Delta flights, which is perfect if you hate waiting and want to settle into your seat sooner.
- Companion certificate. Earn a domestic first class, Delta Comfort+® or main cabin round-trip companion certificate each year when you renew your card. Taxes and fees of no more than $75 aren’t covered with the certificate.
- First checked bag free. Save up to $60 on a round trip with Delta by getting your first checked bag free. This applies for up to nine passengers traveling on the same reservation.
- 0% foreign transaction fees (Terms apply, see rates & fees). Use this card when traveling abroad, as it doesn’t have any international transaction fees.
- Statement credit for in-flight purchases Get 20% savings in the form of statement credit for in-flight purchases on food, alcoholic beverages and audio headsets on Delta flights.
- Baggage insurance. Get baggage insurance of up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and $500 for checked baggage. And if you rent a car, you’re covered in case of car theft or damage.
- Trip delay and cancellation reimbursement and global assistance hotlines. Get 24/7 access to medical, legal, financial or other services you may need if you’re traveling more than 100 miles from home with the Global Assist® Hotline. And if your trip is delayed or canceled for an eligible reason, Amex will offer compensation.
- Complimentary upgrades. If you haven’t earned Medallion Status, you may still qualify for flight upgrades. Delta will add you to the Complimentary Upgrades list, and you’ll have priority after Medallion Members.
What is Medallion Status?
Medallion Status is a tiered program for Delta’s most loyal customers that gives you benefits not available to other travelers, such as unlimited complimentary upgrades for you and your companion to Delta Comfort+® and first class, waived baggage fees, priority customer service and more. You can learn more about how Medallion Status works at our full Delta SkyMiles guide.
The MQD requirement to earn Platinum, Gold or Silver Medallion Status is waived if you make $25,000 or more in eligible purchases with your Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card during the year. To reach Diamond Medallion Status, the MQD requirement is waived if you make $250,000 or more in eligible purchases with your card during the year.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. To own the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card, you’ll have to pay $550 per year. If you frequently fly on Delta and you often visit Delta Sky Clubs®, your benefits will likely outweigh the annual fee.
- Penalty APR. You’ll be charged a penalty APR of 29.99% variable if you make 2 or more late payments in a 12-month period, don’t pay the minimum payment due by the closing date of the billing period or make a payment that’s returned.
Compare business credit cards
What size business is the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card good for?
Small to medium size businesses whose employees travel with Delta and who usually spend $30,000 or more per year on flights could find this card useful. The more you spend with this card, the more miles you can redeem for flights, seat upgrades, gift cards and more.
If your business spends less than $30,000 per year on Delta flights, consider the Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card, earning 70,000 bonus miles after you make $2,000 in purchases within your first 3 months.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card, you’ll have to provide information about yourself and your business. The information includes:
- Business name and address
- Industry type
- Company structure
- Years in business
- Number of employees
- Annual revenue and monthly spending
- Federal Tax ID, also known as Employment Identification Number (EIN)
- Personal information of the credit card owner, including annual income
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with a good business credit score of 670 or higher.
What’s my likelihood of being approved?
Businesses with high credit scores have a better chance of being approved.
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card reviews and complaints
American Express is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating. More than 170 customer reviews — 90% of which are negative — have given the credit card provider a composite score of 3.78 out of 5 stars. Nearly 3,000 customer complaints have been filed with the BBB, with customers citing poor customer support for the company in general, representatives refusing to return phone calls and missing statement credits and miles.
For the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card itself, customers are mostly satisfied with the benefits they get. They only complain about the companion certificate and its restrictions, as well as with the Delta Sky Club® fee of $39 for additional guests.
I got the card. Now what?
- Use the online management tools. Set up automated payments and account alerts to avoid late payments and to notify you of suspicious activity. Manage your expenses by using the American Express® Business App and transfer your data directly to your QuickBooks account.
- Pay on time. Try to make your payments on time, otherwise you’ll pay fees up to $39 and a penalty APR of 29.99% variable.
- Contact customer service. Call American Express’s 24/7 customer service line at 1-800-528-4800 if you need a hand. You can also contact customer support by using the online chat feature on its website.
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card is a premium SkyMiles® credit card, made for business owners who spend big on Delta flights and want to travel in style.
If you frequently fly on Delta and spend more than $30,000 per year on flights, this could be a useful card for your business. You get perks such as Zone 1 priority boarding, complimentary Delta Sky Club® access, concierge service, first checked bag free for you and up to nine passengers on the same reservation and more.
As always, compare other options before deciding on the best card for your business with our comprehensive guide to business credit cards.
How has this card changed over time?
|Date||Before card update||After card update|
|September 16, 2021||Welcome offer: 60,000 bonus miles, 10,000 MQMs and a $100 statement credit after you spend $4,000 in your first 3 months,||Welcome offer: 80,000 bonus miles, 20,000 MQMs and a $200 statement credit after you spend $5,000 in your first 3 months|
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.