Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare the best dehumidifiers
Help prevent mold, dust mites and damage to your health and home.
Dampness and excess humidity can affect the structural integrity as well as the air quality in your home. If you live in a humid environment or your home has poor ventilation, buying a dehumidifier can save you time and money by preventing damage.
The most popular dehumidifiers
|Water removal rate (pints per day)||Tank capacity (gallons)||Purchase|
hOmeLabs 3,000 sq. ft. Energy Star Dehumidifier
Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier
||$45||9 oz.||16 oz.||Shop now|
Frigidaire 70-Pint Dehumidifier
Black + Decker BDT70WT
||$167||50||8.5 pints||Shop now|
How do dehumidifiers work?
Most dehumidifiers work in the same basic way. The dehumidifier uses a fan to suck in air. As this air moves through the dehumidifier, it passes through cooling coils, which remove moisture from the air. This air is then reheated and redistributed back into the room.
The moisture is collected in a tank or reservoir that you can empty. Most dehumidifiers will shut off when the water tank is full to prevent overflow.
How do I know if I need a dehumidifier?
If your home has any of the following warning signs, you should consider getting a dehumidifier:
- Water damage or stains on walls or ceilings
- A musty or mildew smell
- Mold or small black spots growing in high-humidity rooms
- Rotting wood
- Rooms with high humidity and little or no ventilation
- Regular condensation on windows and doors
How to compare when choosing a dehumidifier
A dehumidifier typically costs between $140 and $1,000. Choose a dehumidifier based on the size of your room or home, and the humidity and temperature of your environment.
When comparing dehumidifiers, look for the following additional features:
- Humidistat. A humidistat allows you to choose your desired humidity in a room. The dehumidifier then works to meet this target and shuts off before overdrying your room.
- Drain. If you’ll always be using your dehumidifier in the same room, you can get a model with a tank that drains down a hose and directly into a drain so that you don’t have to empty the tank manually. You should still clean the tank regularly.
- Wheels and handles. Large dehumidifiers can weigh 65 lbs or more when empty — and significantly more when full of water. Wheels and handles will make your life easier every time you have to move your dehumidifier or empty the tank.
- Dust and UV filter. Many dehumidifiers come with dust filters, and some include UV light filters that help kill bacteria.
If your home has too much moisture, your health, home and belongings could be affected. Buying a dehumidifier is a cost-effective method of reducing mold and dust and saving money on costly home repairs.
If you live in a humid or damp environment, start browsing dehumidifiers today.
How did we choose these products?
To choose our list of the best dehumidifiers, we conducted online research to determine some of the most popular models currently available. We then factored size, capacity, water removal rate, price and extra features.
Frequently asked questions
Our latest home appliance deals and coupons
More guides on Finder
Carpet cleaning services
Looking for a professional carpet cleaning service to remove stains and revive your carpet? Read our guide and learn how to find a reliable service.
Rug cleaning services
Find a professional that can sanitize your rugs and eliminate dirt, dust and allergens. Learn what rugs you should steam clean, dry clean and handwash.
Peapod is a delivery service that shops, packs and delivers your groceries to your home or business. See a step-by-step guide, customer reviews and what to watch out for.
Best overwater bungalows in the Caribbean for every budget
Escape to your very own island paradise above the waves.
Molekule review: Can it improve your home’s air quality?
Here’s what to know about Molekule, the air purifier that promises to destroy pollutants in your home like smoke, dust and mold.
Goalsetter Cashola card review
The Cashola card can help your kids save, but is it right for your family?
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
Famous houses you can rent on Airbnb
Rent homes featured on classic TV shows and movies, from Twilight to Breaking Bad.
PetsBest pet insurance review Nov 2020
Choose from accident-only to illness and routine care coverage, with value-added extras like vet direct pay.
How to plan a road trip during coronavirus
Best tips for planning a road trip and saving money along the way.
Ask an Expert