Decatur Earthmover Student Visa Credit Card review
Enjoy an 8% APR with this low fee student credit card.
- Get this card if you’re a Decatur Earthmover member and you want a low-fee student card for building credit.
- Pick something else if you want rewards on your spending.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or greater.
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The Decatur Earthmover Student Visa Credit Card is a friendly, low-fee card designed to help students build their credit score. It carries no annual fee, has an incredibly low 8% variable APR on purchases, balance transfers and cash advances, and no fees on balance transfers, cash advances or over-the-limit charges.
The Earthmover Student Visa has a few other tricks up its sleeve as well. It offers $200,000 in travel accident insurance, for example, which is a type of coverage you don’t often find on a student card. And the fees it does have – late payment fees, returned payment fees and foreign transaction fees – are minimal by market standards.
The only things missing from the Earthmover Student Visa are an intro APR and the ability to earn rewards. Both features can go a long way toward helping students easily pay for school needs and earn some cash back in the process.
If this is something you value in a student card, you’ll need to look elsewhere. But if you’re just looking for a simple tool to help you build your credit, the Earthmover Student Visa is a dependable choice.
How to apply for the Decatur Earthmover Student Visa Credit Card
Apply for the Decatur Earthmover Student Visa Credit Card by signing up to become a Decatur Earthmover Credit Union during the application process, if you aren’t already a member. Then follow these steps:
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Mouse over Borrow, followed by Visa Credit Cards, and select Student Visa.
- Choose Learn more under Credit card application.
- Fill out the requested information and hit Next to complete the application.
Decatur Earthmover Student Visa Credit Card benefits
- Low ongoing APR. This card’s APR clocks in at a low 8% APR variable on purchases, balance transfers and cash advances, while the industry average is around 16%. This is a great rate if you think you’ll need to carry a balance at some point when using this card.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay a dime to use this card each year as it doesn’t require an annual fee. This is always a helpful feature to have when you’re focused primarily on building credit.
- Low fees. The Earthmover Student Visa doesn’t charge fees on balance transfers, over-the-limit spending or cash advances. What’s more, the card charges only 1% in foreign transaction fees and no more than $25 on late payments or returned payments.
- Potentially large credit limit. Depending on your credit score and income, you can receive a starting credit limit as high as $2,000 with this card. The minimum starting credit limit is $250.
Decatur Earthmover Student Visa Credit Card drawbacks
- No rewards. Reward opportunities are prolific on student cards in today’s market, so it stings a bit for this card to not include some form of points or cash back.
- No intro APR. A 0% intro APR on purchases is a powerful boon to have when you need to make several big money purchases up front. For example, the beginning of the semester is often a time when an intro APR would come in handy, but the Earthmover Student Visa doesn’t offer this benefit.
Compare student credit cards
If this card isn’t right for you, consider other student credit cards on the market. Consider factors such as the card’s annual fee, APR, how well it can help you build credit and any other perks it might offer that will serve you.
Decatur Earthmover Student Visa Credit Card customer reviews and complaints
We couldn’t find any customer reviews of this card on Reddit or similar social media as of November 2021. However, the Decatur Earthmover Credit Union receives an A- rating from the Better Business Bureau and is currently not accredited with the organization.
The Earthmover Student Visa is a fine choice for students who want to focus on building their credit and not worry about excess fees should they travel abroad or need to carry a balance for a month or two. For students looking to start building rewards however, there are other student cards on the market that make for a better fit in your wallet.