Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
PayPal international money transfer review
A quick and convenient way to send money overseas.
Send money almost anywhere with flexible transfer options and an easy process
With low fees on small transfer amounts and fast transfer processing times, PayPal makes it possible to send over 20 currencies across more than 200 countries, allowing you to send money almost anywhere around the world.
How much does it cost to transfer money with PayPal?
How much it costs depends on how much money you send, where you send it and how you pay for the transfer.
Flat fees for sending in a different currency
|Australian Dollar:||0.30 AUD|
|Brazilian Real:||0.60 BRL|
|Canadian Dollar:||0.30 CAD|
|Czech Koruna:||10.00 CZK|
|Danish Krone:||2.60 DKK|
|Hong Kong Dollar:||90 HUF|
|Hungarian Forint:||2.35 HKD|
|Israeli Shekel:||1.20 ILS|
|Japanese Yen:||40 JPY|
|Malaysian Ringgit:||2.00 MYR|
|Mexican Peso:||4.00 MXN|
|New Zealand Dollar:||0.45 NZD|
|Norwegian Krone:||2.80 NOK|
|Philippine Peso:||15.00 PHP|
|Polish Zloty:||1.35 PLN|
|Russian Ruble:||10 RUB|
|Singapore Dollar:||0.50 SGD|
|Swedish Krona:||3.25 SEK|
|Swiss Franc:||0.55 CHF|
|Taiwan New Dollar:||10.00 TWD|
|Thai Baht:||11.00 THB|
|U.K. Pounds Sterling:||0.20 GBP|
|U.S. Dollar:||0.30 USD|
PayPal’s exchange rates are calculated by a financial institution and updated multiple times a day to reflect fluctuating market conditions. PayPal’s bank adds 2.5% to a wholesale rate price to calculate the service’s retail foreign exchange rate. If you compare the rates offered by PayPal, you’ll see that they can be competitive against the rates offered by banks and other foreign exchange providers.
To view PayPal’s current exchange rates, log in to your account. On your profile summary page, click Details next to PayPal balance, then click Manage currencies. From this page you can enter the relevant information and click Calculate to see the resulting exchange rate before initiating your money transfer.
What types of transfers can you carry out with PayPal?
PayPal does not offer the flexibility of rate locks or forward contracts, but you can schedule recurring transfers using its Balance Manager. Keep in mind that doing so will incur a fee.
There’s no cash pickup option available for your recipient, with all transfers handled electronically.
Pros and cons of using PayPal
- Easy. Sending money overseas with PayPal is fast, easy and intuitive.
- Fast. PayPal international money transfers are faster than many other international money transfer options.
- Secure. PayPal offers 24/7 transaction monitoring, next-level encryption and dispute resolution options. Its “deep learning” artificial intelligence technology makes it extremely resistant to fraud.
- Customer service. There are several customer service options available if you need help with a transaction.
- Good for small transfers. PayPal’s fees are a percentage of your transaction amount, making it a cost-effective solution when you need to transfer smaller amounts.
- Worldwide network. PayPal is available in more than 200 countries around the world, allowing you access to a wealth of possible transfer destinations.
- Not ideal for larger transfers. With fees that are based on a percentage of your transfer amount, PayPal might not be your best option when transferring large amounts.
- Fees. PayPal’s fee structure can add a lot to the total cost of your transfer. Its fees are calculated based on the amount of money you are sending. If you send a large amount, expect to pay a lot in fees. Fees also vary based on where your money is going. Finally, your fee will be higher if you use a credit or debit card to fund the transaction, rather than your PayPal account or linked bank account.
- Exchange rates. If you will be exchanging your currency to make your PayPal international money transfer, you might find that its exchange rates are not as favourable as its competitors. PayPal’s currency exchange rates start at 2.5%.
How does PayPal compare to other services?
How do I send an international transfer with PayPal?
It’s quick and easy to send money overseas with PayPal. If you don’t already have a PayPal account, you’ll need to sign up for one before you can transfer money internationally. Accounts are free to open and you can apply online; you’ll just need to provide the following details:
- Your name and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
- Your residential address
- The details of your linked bank account or credit card Once you’ve signed up, you can use your PayPal account to purchase a range of goods and services online; you can also start transferring money overseas. From start to finish, the whole PayPal international money transfer process takes just a few minutes.
- Log in to your account and click on the Send Money tab.
- Enter your recipient’s phone number or email address, the amount you want to send and a description of the transfer.
- PayPal will give you a total cost for the transaction, including transfer fees and currency exchange rate, when applicable.
- Review this information and click Send Money if you are ready to transfer your funds.
You can use PayPal to transfer money internationally from:
- Your PayPal account balance
- Your linked bank account
- Your linked credit or debit card
The funds will be available in your recipient’s PayPal account almost immediately. They can then keep the money in their PayPal account or transfer it to a linked bank account. Transferring it to a bank account can take several days.
How do I withdraw funds from a PayPal account?
There’s only one way to withdraw money from your PayPal account:
In order to transfer to your bank account, log into your PayPal account and choose how much money you’d like to transfer to your bank account. Then, select which bank account you’d like to transfer the funds to. There are no fees involved and it usually takes 1-2 business days for the transaction to go through.
If you’re looking for an easy solution to your international money transfer needs, compare PayPal’s features, benefits and fees with those of other money transfer providers to find the safest and most cost-effective transfer method available.
Frequently asked questions about PayPal money transfers
More guides on Finder
Ria Money Transfer Erfahrungen
Learn how Ria Money Transfer, the third-largest provider of international money transfers in the world, may help you get more money to your destination with competitive exchange rates and low fees.
PayPal Ratenzahlung Erfahrungen
Bei PayPal können Sie Ihre Einkäufe jetzt auch in Raten abbezahlen. Wie das geht und was es kostet, erfahren Sie hier.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
Plus500 review: Global CFD trading platform
Plus500 is a CFD trading service, which allows you to trade CFDs for a range of financial instruments including shares, EFTs and commodities. Read our review here.
PayPal internationale Geldtransfers Bewertung
PayPal ermöglicht es Ihnen, Geld an Freunde und Familie auf der ganzen Welt zu senden. Mit der Fähigkeit mehr als 20 Währungen in über 200 Ländern zu senden, bietet dieses digitale Zahlungsunternehmen schnelle und bequeme internationale Geldtransfers.
Western Union Geldtransfer Bewertung
Mit über 500.000 Vertriebsstandorten weltweit und zahlreichen davon allein in Deutschland ist das Senden von Geld ins Ausland mit Western Union einfach und schnell.
How to buy Bitcoin in Germany
Want to buy Bitcoin but don’t know where to start? This comprehensive guide provides step-by-step instructions on how and where to buy BTC in Germany.
Western Union money transfer review
With over 500,000 agents worldwide and more than 70,000 of them in the United States alone, sending money overseas with Western Union is simple and fast.
Ask an Expert