If you’re looking to send money to Romania, make sure you know your options. From bank transfers to money transfer companies, you have a few options that allow you to quickly exchange your euros for Romanian leu. Compare fees, exchange rates and processing times so you can find a good deal when you send money to your recipient in Romania.
Send money to Romania with XE
XE bietet schnelle Überweisungen mit niedrigen Gebühren und eine Reihe von Fremdwährungstools.
- Send money to 170+ countries
- Competitive exchange rates that are often better than banks
- Transfer up to $500,000 online
- See exchange rates in real-time
Compare money transfer services to Romania
Banks versus money transfer companies
Some major German banks will likely have the option to send funds to Romania. But banks typically charge high transfer fees and offer exchange rates that are significantly lower than the mid-market rate — or the rate banks and transfer providers use when trading among themselves.
A reputable money transfer specialist can offer better exchange rates and also charge lower fees, saving you money and putting more Romanian leu into your recipient’s pocket. Some providers offer electronic transfers to bank accounts only, while others also provide cash pickups, mobile wallet payments and cash delivery services.
Case Study: Adrian sends money to Romania
Adrian’s marriage may have broken down long before he moved to Germany, but this Romanian expat remains in close contact with his ex-wife in Bucharest. When she asks him for an urgent transfer of €
1,000, he’s happy to oblige. But before handing over his cash, he compares the services of two online transfer specialists to see which can save him the most money.
|Money Transfer Company A||Money Transfer Company B|
|Exchange rate||€1 = 4.67 RON||€1 = 4.75 RON|
|Transfer speed||1 to 3 business days||1 to 3 business days|
|Transfer option||Bank transfer||Bank transfer|
|Total RON received for €1,000||4,670 RON||4,750 RON|
Adrian discovers that he can send an extra 80 Romanian leu using Money Transfer Company B — on top of saving €10 in transfer fees.
What are my options for sending money to Romania?
- Bank transfers. Many major German banks will allow you to wire money to banks in Romania.
- Money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to Romania from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of cash pickups from thousands of agent locations across Romania.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Germany to Romania.
Exchange rate is used by banks and money transfer companies to determine how much one country’s currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. The euro is strong against the Romanian leu, which means you’ll be able to send more leu for every euro you spend. But when you make a transfer, keep an eye on it. Exchange rates fluctuate regularly, so you’ll want to make sure you’re getting a good one.
What are the steps to sending money to Romania?
- Compare your options.
- Once you’ve selected a provider, create an account with the provider.
- Start a transaction and provide your recipient’s information.
- Enter the amount you want to send and pay for your transfer.
- Save your transaction number or receipt.
You can use your tracking number to keep up with the progress of your transfer, and if you run into any problems, you can use it to check in with your provider to have your questions answered.
Emergency cash transfers to Romania
Emergency cash transfers to Romania are possible, but you’ll need to be prepared to spend more money on fees to send less leu to your recipient. This is because money transfer companies often charge higher fees and offer less favourable exchange rates when you need to make an emergency transfer. Although it can be quick, it will cost extra. Take your time to compare your rates and find a company that won’t charge you an arm and a leg for the transfer. This way, your recipient gets the money they need and you save on fees.
Tips for picking up cash in Romania
If your recipient decides to pick up cash, share these tips to help keep them safe when they travel with large amounts of money.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Sending money to Romania doesn’t need to be frustrating, especially if you plan on making multiple transfers. By comparing your rates, you can get the money your recipient needs without spending too much on fees and sacrificing good exchange rates. Read our international money transfer guide to better understand the process and learn more ways you can send money to Romania.