Wirex card review
Get crypto-rewards and take control of your money with Wirex.
Wirex is a digital finance platform and card that gives you control over your money across the globe, making it easy to spend at a minimal cost while you travel. It lets you convert and spend cryptocurrencies anywhere that Visa is accepted and you can earn crypto-rewards as you spend.
Since launching in 2014, Wirex customers have made over $2 billion worth of transactions between crypto and traditional currencies. Read on to find out more about Wirex in Germany, including how it works and what it costs to help you work out if Wirex is right for you.
Currency conversion Fee
|Product Name||Wirex Standard|
|Management Fee||0 €|
|Card delivery||Up to 4 business days|
|Supported currencies||GBP, CHF, USD, CZK, CAD, AUD, NZD, EUR, HKD, JPY, SGD, MXN|
|Card Fee||0 €|
|International ATM Withdrawal||2%|
|Currency conversion Fee||0%|
|Free ATM Withdrawal Limit||400 € per month|
|Mobile payments||Apple Pay, Google Pay|
|Card type||Visa, Mastercard|
|Go to site|
How Wirex works in Germany
Wirex is a digital payment platform that helps you manage your money at home and abroad at a low cost. Once you’ve registered – via the Wirex app on your smartphone, or online – you can take advantage of your Wirex Multi-Currency Account. Its features include easy-to-view transactions, and fast payments and transfers. Plus, you can buy, sell and manage your money via a range of supported traditional currencies and cryptocurrencies.
When you order a Wirex Card, you’ll see a separate card account on your profile which will show you your balance. You can load money onto your prepaid Visa and start spending across the world. Your card can be used online, in shops, over the phone or by withdrawing cash from an ATM.
The app is simple, user-friendly and streamlined. With Wirex, you can do the following:
- Make international payments. The app lets you transfer money to anyone in the world at the interbank exchange rate.
- Fee-free global spending. Your Wirex card automatically makes overseas payments in the local currency at the interbank rate without charging any exchange fees.
- Free ATM withdrawals. You can withdraw from both local and overseas ATMs for free.
- Hold different currencies in your account. You can hold a balance or make an exchange in eight digital and 12 traditional currencies within the app, including euros.
- Control your card and account. You can block and unblock your card in the Wirex app as well as set monthly spending limits.
- Earn crypto rewards. Generate 2% back in Wirex Token (WXT) on all your in-store or online purchases, which will be instantly added to your X-tras account in the Wirex app.
- High interest rates on crypto and fiat funds. Create up to 10 X-Accounts on your Wirex app and earn up to 12% daily compounded interest on selected currencies, including BTC, ETH, GBP and EUR.
- Worldwide acceptance. Wirex cards can be used wherever Visa is accepted, whether in stores or online at over 54 million merchant locations around the world.
- Buy, hold and spend cryptocurrency. With Wirex, you can exchange, hold and spend in these cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin (BTC), Ether (ETH), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Wirex Token (WXT), Dai (DAI), Nano (NANO), Wollo (WLO) and Stellar Lumens (XLM).
- Convenient top-up. Reload your value anytime with a credit card, debit card or using cryptocurrency transfer.
- Instant notifications. Keep track of your payments with live in-app notifications instantly each time a transaction is made.
Wirex account options
Wirex offers three account tiers: Standard (€0/month), Premium (€9.99/month) and Elite (€29.99/month).
Fees and rates
It’s free to set up your Wirex account and there is no charge to issue or deliver your Wirex Card. The fees you need to be aware of include:
- ATM withdrawal charge. You can withdraw up to 400 € per month at no additional cost, after which a small fee of 2% is applied.
- Foreign exchange fees. There’s a 0% foreign exchange fee for card transactions in the European Economic Area (EEA).
- Card spending. For unconfirmed top-ups, the limit is 50 USD per day while it’s 5,000 USD for any confirmed top-ups.
- Cryptocurrency purchases. There’s a fee of around 1% above the real exchange rate for crypto purchases.
Wirex is an app to consider if you want a convenient digital account with impressive cryptocurrency functionality. You can buy, hold and sell multiple fiat and digital currencies and enjoy easy account management and top up. There’s also no monthly fee.
However, if you are looking for a digital bank account with spending analytics and savings functions, you may want to consider another app.
Experiences from other Wirex users
Wirex scores 3.2 over 5 based on 7,600+ reviews and is rated Average on Trustpilot.
|User ratings||# of reviews||What do customers say|
|3.2 / 5||7,688|
*Note: Information provided is based on the reviews and rating on Trustpilot (12 May 2021).
How to sign up
Signing up for Wirex is easy. Just click “Go to Site” on this page and then follow this process:
- Select “Go to site” on this page to be securely directed to Wirex
- Fill out the “Register with Wirex” form. Select your country of residence, enter your email and create a password.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you. Follow the confirmation link.
- You’ll be prompted to fill in your address, personal information and phone number.
- Next, you’ll be redirected to the “Verify your Identity” screen.
- Upload the required documents.
- Once you’re verified, set up a memorable word for added security and access all Wirex features.
Once your Wirex account has been successfully verified, you can request a contactless Wirex card. Simply click the “Order a card” button on the dashboard of your Wirex web application or mobile app, confirm your delivery address and select your delivery method.