Santander 1plus Visa Card review
Make fee-free withdrawals across the world with this credit card.
If you like to spend regularly in Germany and further afield, the Santander 1plus Visa Card could be the right fit for you. This credit card lets you make up to four fee-free cash withdrawals across the globe each month. And there’s a range of other card perks to enjoy. Read on to find out what you need to know about the Santander 1plus Visa Card.
ATM fee for Euro withdrawals
1.5% per payment
Currency conversion fee
What's in this review?
- How does the Santander 1plus Visa Card work in Germany?
- What features does the Santander 1plus Visa Card have?
- What fees and limits apply with this account?
- Is my money safe with Santander in Germany?
- Pros and cons of the Santander 1plus Visa Card
- How do I sign up with Santander?
- Compare a range of digital banks in Germany
- Frequently asked questions
How does the Santander 1plus Visa Card work in Germany?
The Santander 1plus Visa Card is available to residents of Germany only. When signing up as a new customer, you’ll have to submit personal details such as your full name, date of birth, address and email address. You’ll then need to confirm your identity, submit any required documentation and pass a credit check with Santander.
If you’re accepted, you’ll be sent your Visa card in the post along with other documents including your PIN. This can take around three weeks. You can then register for a mobileTAN service, which offers you an added layer of security as you’ll get an SMS to your mobile when a transaction is processed. Also, you can download the free Santander Mobile Banking App for quick and easy online banking.
What features does the Santander 1plus Visa Card have?
- Make fee-free withdrawals. You won’t be charged by Santander for up to four cash withdrawals per month – worldwide.
- €0 annual fee. You won’t pay an annual maintenance fee on your account. Plus, a family member can register for a free additional card.
- 24/7 customer support. If you need assistance, you can get access to customer services via your phone at any time.
- Fuel discounts. Get a 1% discount at gas stations globally, up to €200 a month. Ts & Cs apply.
- Contactless payments. Just tap your Visa card for fast and easy everyday purchases.
- Security features. If your credit card is lost or stolen, you can block it by calling Santander’s card-blocking service 24,7
What fees and limits apply with this account?
This credit card comes with a typical rate of interest which starts from 13.98%. The easiest way to avoid expensive fees and charges with a credit card is to set up a monthly direct debit that pays off your outstanding credit card balance in full.
In April 2020, Santander introduced a charge of 1.5% fees on foreign transactions – in other words, if you pay in a currency other than Euros. For existing customers, the change comes into effect on July 1, 2020. There’s also a typical charge of at least €5.25 (with a possible 1.50% foreign application fee) from your fifth monthly cash withdrawal at an ATM. It’s important to read and understand the terms and conditions of this card before you sign up so that you’re fully aware of all the costs you’ll face.
Is my money safe with Santander in Germany?
With Santander, your money is protected up to €100,000 by the Deposit Guarantee Scheme of the German government. If Santander were to go bust for any reason, your money would still be safe.
Pros and cons of the Santander 1plus Visa Card
- Take advantage of a €0 annual card fee – for up to two cardholders.
- Make fee-free cash withdrawals worldwide.
- 24/7 customer support
- Maximum cash withdrawal of €1,000 per day.
- Lack of added perks, such as free insurance coverage.
- Currently no Apple Pay or Google Pay function.
How do I sign up with Santander?
If you’ve decided that the Santander 1plus Visa Card is right for you, you can start your application by clicking the green ‘Go to site’ button at the top of this page. Existing Santander account holders can apply online through their internet banking.
You must be a resident of Germany to apply for this credit card. Other typical eligibility requirements include:
- At least 18 years of age
- Be a resident of Germany and hold a German bank account (which doesn’t have to be Santander)
- Have a good history of managing credit in a responsible way
- You may need a valid mobile phone number
- A fully completed credit card application form
- A valid identification document (PostIdent)
You could be asked by Santander to submit your last three months’ proof of salary; your last pension notification; or a registration certificate. This is decided by the bank on a case-by-case basis. Also, non-EU citizens typically need to submit their German residence permit.