Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Free bank accounts in Germany
Explore current accounts in Germany with no monthly charges.
Current accounts in Germany let you store money to spend on-the-go. However, the pesky monthly charges that usually come with current accounts can easily add up. This guide will explore some of the best free current accounts in Germany, to help you find the right one for you.
Compare free current accounts in Germany
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What are free current accounts?
Free current accounts are daily spending accounts that do not come with monthly or annual fees. These accounts often do not offer interest rates — instead, they come with Giro cards, Maestro cards, debit cards or credit cards.
However, while free current accounts do not charge monthly fees, they might come with miscellaneous fees like card-related charges or ATM-withdrawal costs.
Free current accounts in Germany
Here are some free current accounts in Germany for you to consider.
- DKB-Cash Current Account.The DKB-Cash account comes with a free Visa credit card and a Maestro or VPay Girocard, as well as zero-fee cash withdrawals within the Eurozone.
- N26 Standard Current Account. N26 offers a free current account with multilingual support, a debit MasterCard and a mobile app for easy usage.
- Commerzbank Current Account. Enjoy a free Maestro Girocard and unlimited complimentary cash withdrawals from CashGroup ATMs when you choose Commerzbank.
- Santander 1Plus Visa Account. Use this current account for fee-free cash withdrawals abroad with the 1Plus Visa credit card. You can also sign up for their Couple account, a joint current account that comes with two free Girocards.
- TARGOBANK Online Konto. Multilingual support, free withdrawals at local CashPool ATMs and banking services in over 240 cities — these are some of the features you’ll get with the TARGOBANK current account.
- Norisbank Top-Girokonto. As the direct banking branch of Deutsche Bank, norisbank offers a free current account that comes with a Girocard, mobile app with an English interface and a Couples account option.
- Fidor Smart Current Account. Fidor’s completely-digital current account comes with a virtual Mastercard debit card, access to Fidor Pay on Android phones as well as customer support for native English-speakers.
What other features matter when I’m choosing a free current account?
Besides considering monthly and annual fees, there are a few important factors you should consider when choosing a current account. Here are some features for you to think about.
- Account type. Choose a current account that best suits your banking needs. This could mean choosing a student account if you’re in school, or a multicurrency current account if you spend overseas frequently.
- Cashback. Some German current accounts offer cashback of between 1-2% when you spend with your debit card. If you frequently use your card instead of cash, this could be a worthwhile feature.
- Customer service. A bank’s customer service team is the support system to help you out with any account troubles. Your chosen bank should offer reliable, friendly and accessible customer support.
- Availability of ATMs. Current accounts are everyday accounts that help you spend easily. However, not all merchants might accept credit or debit cards. In these cases, you should be able to find an ATM nearby to withdraw cash conveniently. As such, consider choosing a bank network with ATMs in the city you live in.
Hidden charges to watch out for
While free currents accounts come with no monthly or annual fees, a host of other charges may apply. Such charges may include:
- ATM withdrawal fees. Some banks in Germany charge an additional fee when you withdraw money from international ATMs or ATMs beyond the Eurozone. Withdrawals in non-Euro currencies will cost you an additional foreign currency fee.
- Card-related fees. Free current accounts often come with debit cards for easy spending. Card-related fees that may be incurred include delivery fees, replacement fees and monthly charges.
- Currency conversion fees. Some free current accounts come with multicurrency functionality. In such cases, an additional currency conversion fee may apply when you spend with your card.
How do I sign up for a free current account in Germany?
Most banks allow you to sign up for a free current account online. Here’s how it usually works:
- Visit the bank’s website. You should be able to find an online application form for the current account you’re interested in.
- Fill up the online form. This will often include providing details like your full name, address, contact number and monthly income.
- Submit the online form and provide verification documents as requested.
- Wait for the bank to get back to you. Your account should be approved in a few business days, and you’ll receive your chosen debit or credit card via the mail.
Remember that while signing up for a current account may be easy, different current accounts come with different eligibility requirements. Certain free current accounts may be unavailable to you depending on your income, credit history, citizenship or country of residency. As such, you should read up on eligibility requirements for your preferred current account before signing up.
While free current accounts in Germany offer a great deal, they might not always suit your needs. Instead, consider factors like features and hidden fees before making a decision.
More guides on Finder
Finde heraus, ob Revolut das Richtige für dich ist, und lese unseren ausführlichen Testbericht. Wir führen dich durch die Funktionen, Kosten, Vor- und Nachteile, damit Du alles Wissenswerte über die Karte und die App erfährst.
DKB Cash Testbericht
DKB-Konten verfügen über eine Reihe von Funktionen — welches ist das Beste für dich?
How to watch UFC 252 Miocic vs Cormier 3 live in Germany
One of the great rivalries in UFC history concludes with Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier 3.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
Here’s the full list of Disney+ Germany features
Streaming shows and movies with Disney+ is a breeze but which features give you bang for your buck?
N26 Erfahrungen im Testbericht
Finde heraus, was Sie über die digitale Bank N26 wissen müssen, um zu sehen, ob sie die richtige Wahl für Sie ist.
Where to watch Game of Thrones online in Germany
Game of Thrones Season 8 starts April 2019 in Germany but you can catch up on seasons 1 to 7 now.
How to sell Ethereum (ETH) in Germany
If you want to sell Ethereum (ETH) for fiat currency or cryptocurrency in Germany but don’t know how, you’ll find the help you need in this handy guide.
How to buy Bitcoin in Germany
Want to buy Bitcoin but don’t know where to start? This comprehensive guide provides step-by-step instructions on how and where to buy BTC in Germany.