Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best* banking apps in Germany
Compare banking apps in Germany to find the best one for you.
Digital banking apps are now more popular than ever in Germany. Each of these apps offers its own host of features, ranging from virtual debit cards to useful spending insights.
This guide will help you get a sense of the range of digital banking apps in Germany, to help you decide which are the best banking apps for you.
What is a banking app?
Banking apps are apps that can be downloaded onto your smartphone, which help you manage your current or savings accounts. These apps often give you the same features as online banking platforms, such as the ability to send and receive money as well as applying for new financial products. On top of this, some accounts offer in-app security features that allow you to freeze your card or change your PIN number, effectively giving you full control over your finances.
The best banking apps in Germany (and why!)
This app is a popular option in Germany as it lets you manage your Sparkasse accounts as well as accounts from other banks. Some features include:
- Manage Sparkasse accounts as well as accounts from other banks
- Track current accounts, savings accounts and term deposits
- Access standard banking functions such as standing orders, Kwitt transfers and checking your balance
- Block your Sparkasse card, set up notifications and request appointments
- Top up prepaid cards for your cellphone
- Track stock information
- Sparkasse securely connects with other banks to display information. All data is encrypted.
The DKB Bank app offers a number of benefits, including:
- Manage your BKB accounts including your current account, credit card and term deposit
- Check share prices and manage your stock portfolio
- Keep secure with fingerprint login, card blocking and Verified by Visa
- Pay invoices using a photo or file upload
- Use mobile payments through Google Pay
- ATM search and cash payments in retail stores
In 2019, Numbrs was the number one app in the finance category in Germany. It is not a bank itself but instead helps you to manage your banking products. Here are some of the features it offers:
- Manage all of your accounts, crypto wallets and loyalty cards in the app
- See an analysis of your financial data using Neo, an artificial intelligence (AI) function
- The “Left to Spend” feature which shows you how much you have left after your fixed expenses
- See an aggregate balance across all of your accounts
- Budget better with savings goals, spend tracking and finance reports
- Send money in Germany or internationally
- Schedule transfers to manage upcoming bills
- Secure login with Face ID and Touch ID
- Get notifications of your spending and budgeting
- Manage accounts from multiple countries and currencies, including the British Pound and the Euro
- The Timeline and Future Timeline helps you see how you’re tracking and what your future finances look like
- Product check, which lets you know if you can save by switching
The PayPal app offers an easy way to send and receive money in Germany. Here are some of the app’s features:
- Pay using a QR code
- Send and receive money for free in Euros, you only need the recipient’s mobile number or email address
- Receive spending notifications
The ING app offers a number of features for account holders, including:
- View and manage all of your ING accounts and portfolio
- Transfer without an IBAN! You can make transfers by template, phone transfer or QR code
- Block your card if it’s lost or stolen
- Make contactless payments using Google Pay
- Get notified when something happens in your account
- Find an ATM easily with ATM search
The global digital money app Revolut offers a number of useful features, including:
- Manage your combined IBAN and current account
- Hold up to 14 currencies in the one account
- Spend globally at the interbank rate
- Get insights into your spending with automatic categorisation and analytics
- Lock and unlock your card if it’s lost or stolen, plus set card and payment limits
- Save money in the app with Revolut Vaults
- Pay with your smartphone using Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Exchange money into up to 30 currencies
- Buy and hold cryptocurrencies in the app
This eco-conscious bank lets you manage your money while helping the environment. Some features of its app include:
- Get insights into your finances
- Automatic spending categorisation
- Receive push notifications when you spend
- Spend fee-free internationally
- Spend easily with Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Send and receive money in seconds
- View the environmental impact you’re making in an easy-to-use dashboard
- Get help meeting your savings goals with Tomorrow Pockets
N26 is another digital bank with a feature-packed app. Here’s what you will benefit from:
- Manage your N26 account
- Manage, transfer and spend in 19 currencies
- Use convenient mobile payments through Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Send money to your contacts without needing their bank details through MoneyBeam
- Keep your account secure with customisable daily spend and withdrawal limits and the ability to lock and unlock your card
- Get automatic spending categorisation and insights into your transactions
- Put money aside for a financial goal with the N26 Spaces function
How do I sign up for a banking app in Germany?
Here are the steps you should follow to sign up for a banking app in Germany.
- Download the banking app from your smartphone’s application store. If you can’t find the app, try checking your bank’s website.
- Follow the prompts to set up your account. You will often need to provide a username and password, as well as a range of other personal details such as your Personalausweis ID, date of birth, address, and mobile phone number. If you have any problems, call your bank for technical assistance.
- Verify your sign-in details to complete the signup process.
What to look out for
Before you download a banking app, you should check the following details:
- Is the banking app compatible with my device? Most banking apps in Germany are only available on the Apple Store and the Google Play Store, and the applications themselves may only be available for download on certain phone models. Therefore, do ensure that you can not only access the application but also download it onto your mobile device.
- Is the banking app fully functional? When using a banking app to open a new account or process a bill payment, the last thing you want is for the application to malfunction mid-transaction. Before you start using an application, do read other reviews to ensure that it does not have an issue of major malfunctions and that services are available 24/7. You should also check that customer service will be able to assist you in rectifying any transaction gone wrong.
- Is the banking app secure? Even if the app functions perfectly, you should ensure that any banking details that you provide will remain secure. Ensure that the application requires you to provide a user ID, password, or PIN and that the data is encrypted at all times. If you prefer an additional layer of security, you should look out for features like 2-factor authentication or Face ID/Biometric login.
What are the advantages of banking apps?
- Convenient account management. Monitor your finances on-the-go with a banking app. With 24/7 remote access to your bank account, you can check your financials on the go. Some banks even allow you to trade and monitor your investments through your banking app, which is an added convenience.
- One-stop-shop. The best banking apps allow you to use one application to not only pay bills or apply for a new home loan but also to make contactless payments. This helps you get so much more done in one place.
- Simpler, intuitive interface. The best banking apps usually are minimalistic and simple to use, with the most common features accessible within a few taps. This means that you can manage your finances on the go, while also getting your banking done quickly.
How to choose the best banking apps
Now that you have all your options laid out in front of you — how should you go about picking the best banking apps? Here are some factors for you to consider.
- Price. Is the banking app offered for free alongside your bank account? Or is it subject to a monthly fee?
- Features. Are you looking to invest using your banking app? Do you want to have the convenience of applying for a new credit card in a few swipes? Check that your desired banking app offers these features.
- Security. How secure is your banking app? Do you trust that it will keep your information safe?
- Customer support. Does your app have glitches? How quickly does customer service step in to resolve the problem?
Compare a range of account options in Germany
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Erfahren Sie alles über Klarna, Erfahrungen mit der Klarna App, der Klarna Card und den Klarna Konten und welche Angebote gebührenfrei sind.
Comdirect Bankkonto Review
Vergleichen Sie die verschiedenen Angebote der Comdirect-Bank und entscheiden Sie so, ob die Comdirect ein geeignetes Produkt für Sie bietet.
Deutschland’s beste Girokonten im Vergleich
Wenn Du auf der Suche nach dem besten Girokonto in Deutschland bist, helfen wir dir, alle Funktionen zu vergleichen, um das richtige Konto für deine Bedürfnisse zu finden.
DKB Cash Testbericht
DKB-Konten verfügen über eine Reihe von Funktionen — welches ist das Beste für dich?
Die besten Banking-Apps
Es gibt viele Banking-Apps in Deutschland — welche ist die beste für dich?
How to watch UFC 253 Adesanya vs Costa live in Germany
Undefeated fighters with vastly different styles clash when champion Israel Adesanya faces Paulo Costa in UFC 253.
How to watch Carabao Cup matches live online in Germany
The Carabao Cup is back for the 2020/21 season, with Manchester City chasing a fourth straight title.
Watch PSG vs Bayern Munich UEFA Champions League final live in Germany
European royalty Bayern Munich face first-time finalists PSG in a blockbuster UEFA Champions League decider.
How to watch 2020/21 UEFA Champions League matches live in Germany
UEFA Champions League matches are available live and on demand in Germany. Here’s how you can watch.
How to watch UFC 251 Usman vs Masvidal live in Germany
Three championship belts are on the line when UFC’s Fight Island is used for the first time in UFC 251.