Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare the best dash cams of 2020
How a dashboard camera can change the way you drive.
Dash cams have quickly gone from a rare add-on to an easy and common way of recording your drives. And a number of dash cam users insist that the device has actually changed the way they drive for the better.
Compare the most popular dash cams of 2020
|Memory capacity||Screen (in)||Viewing angle||Maximum resolution||Micro SD included||Purchase|
|Xiaomi Yi Smart||$50.00||64GB||2.7″||165º||1080p||Yes|
|BlackVue DR750S-1CH||$270.00||16GB||No screen||139º||1080p||Yes|
|Thinkware F800PRO||$380.00||128GB||No screen||140º||1080p||Yes|
What are people using dash cams for?
There are lots of reasons why so many people are jumping on board the dash cam trend, like to:
- Protect themselves from car insurance scams. Scammers don’t like being caught on video.
- Record evidence for car insurance claims. If it’s your word against theirs, video evidence is very compelling.
- Successfully contest tickets. Video doesn’t make mistakes, but sometimes traffic police do.
- Automatically record drive information. This can include GPS location, just in case you ever need to prove your vehicle’s location at a given time.
- De-escalate heated situations. Video cameras provide indisputable evidence and can therefore help to quell road rage.
- Catch once-in-a-lifetime events. You never know what’ll happen right before your eyes. The wealth of exciting dash cam videos on the internet is a testament to this.
The top 5 benefits of dash cams
These are just a few of the ways you might benefit from adding a dashboard cam to your vehicle:
- Catch scammers in the act. A common car insurance scam is for a pedestrian to jump in front of a slow-moving car, fall over and start talking about lawsuits and serious injuries. Other popular scams can be as simple as someone backing into you in traffic and accusing you of rear-ending them or parking a damaged car near yours and saying that you caused the damage. Dash cams are a near sure-fire way of protecting yourself.
- Prove your innocence in a court of law. People have successfully used dashboard camera videos to demonstrate their innocence in the face of police inquiries.
- Save money on car insurance. Some insurers may offer reduced premiums if you have a dash cam. A dash cam could also help to protect you from insurance rate hikes by properly establishing fault in the event of an accident.
- Become better educated. Real videos taken on the roads make for compelling driver education material. Dash cams can be used to show, not tell, the dos and don’ts of driving, as well as the consequences of bad driving.
- Use it to do better business. Many businesses are having their delivery drivers use dash cams and are outfitting all their business vehicles with video recording. These devices are also a cost-effective way to record driving data like speed, GPS location and time on the road, and they can be extremely useful for legal liability purposes.
How to use a dash cam for insurance purposes
While dash cams don’t replace car insurance, they can help you get the best value from your policy. If you have a car insurance policy with a good breadth of coverage as well as a dash cam, you can:
- Prove your innocence in the event of an accident. If it’s not clear who is guilty, you may have no choice but to file a claim with your insurance company and possibly suffer raised premiums, even if you did nothing wrong. A dash cam could get you off the hook if the video shows that the wreck wasn’t your fault.
- Reduce your premiums in the long run. A no-claims history is one of the biggest car insurance discounts available, but it takes years to build and can be wiped out by a single accident. To make matters worse, being involved in accidents can flag you as a high-risk driver and further raise your premiums. Getting a dash cam means you could prove your innocence in an accident, keeping your premiums low and your discounts high for a longer period of time.
- Prove you’re meeting insurance requirements. Some policies may require that you only drive in certain areas, park your car in a particular place or avoid specific areas. Many also require that you take certain steps in the event of an accident and may reserve the right to refuse a claim if you have not done so. Dashboard video can show that you acted appropriately, while timestamping and GPS data shows where and when an event took place.
How to pick a good dash cam
Choose a dash cam that you can depend on. Good models can cost more, but the extra expense is sometimes necessary to get important features. It’s also worth remembering that dash cams are at their best when used with car insurance, so consider looking over your insurance policy terms and picking a dash cam that can help you meet claim requirements. Look for:
Dash cams can come in handy for a number of reasons, especially for car insurance purposes. There are lots of different models in various price ranges, so compare your top options before deciding which one could be right for you.
How did we choose these products?
We chose our list of the best dashboard cameras based on factors such as resolution, screen size, memory capacity and price. We also factored in our own online research and what customers had to say about each product.
Frequently asked questions
Images: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
8 best online divorce services of 2020
Find a do-it-yourself divorce preparation platform that fits your situation — without hiring a lawyer.
Best weighted blankets in 2020
Snuggle up under these top-rated weighted blankets, designed to address a myriad of sleep concerns, from insomnia to night sweats.
Compare teletherapy options
Find out how teletherapy works and whether your insurance covers online therapy sessions.
Top high-waisted joggers in 2020
See top picks for this fall/winter trend, starting at under $20. If these don’t suit your style, learn where you can shop for more — no matter your budget.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
Openly home insurance review Oct 2020
Robust coverage and high limits on this startup’s standard policies if you own a high-value home.
How to watch Peacock without a smart TV
Find out how to watch Peacock in style even if you don’t have a smart TV.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020
Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.
Best Iceland tours and tour companies for 2020
Make the most of your visit to the land of fire and ice by traveling with an expert guide.
The Nordstrom half yearly sale is here | May 2020 deals
Find out when you can shop the sale of the summer and get your favorite designer brands up to 50% off.
Ask an Expert