Cyber Monday sets all-time spending record
Shoppers in the U.S. spent $6.59 billion in 24 hours.
Cyber Monday exceeded holiday buying expectations, cementing a new spending record and posting double-digit increases year-over-year, according to the latest research results.
The official tally was released by Adobe Analytics, which tracks Adobe Experience Cloud usage, which applies to around 80% of online transactions at the nation’s largest 100 web retailers.
Actual spending figures of $6.59 billion slightly exceeded initial estimates of $6.58 billion. This result contributed to a significant rise (16.8%) in overall sales value compared to Cyber Monday 2016.
Record Cyber Monday shopping also pushed overall spending above $50 billion for the holiday season.
What did people buy?
Cyber Monday’s top five products included the Nintendo Switch, Chromecast, Roku, Hatchimals and Colleggtibles, and the Amazon Echo. In comparison, Black Friday and Thanksgiving’s best sellers were the Nintendo Switch, PJ Masks, Hatchimals, Colleggtibles, Chromecast and Roku.
You can compare these against Amazon’s Best Sellers – up-to-date, trending lists of the most popular items.
In a reversal of predictions, computer-based shopping surged on Cyber Monday and turned the tables on mobile shopping. While smartphones and tablets claimed the majority (about 55%) of traffic on Black Friday, people shopping from computers claimed a similar majority of traffic on Cyber Monday. This may be because people were likely shopping from work on Monday, using desktops and laptops to complete their purchases.
Computers maintain an advantage (54% of traffic and 70% of purchases) over phones and tablets in Adobe’s running total for the holiday season. Read more about the rise of smartphone shopping in our earlier report.
Did you get the best price? Adobe’s digital price index calculated the best days for discounts by category:
- Christmas decor: 16% off the day before Thanksgiving
- Apparel: 15% off on Thanksgiving
- Computers: 16% off on Thanksgiving
- Sporting goods: 11% off on Thanksgiving
- Appliances: 18% off on Black Friday
- Jewelry: 12% off on Black Friday
- Tablets: 24% off on Black Friday
- TVs: 24% off on Black Friday
- Toys: 19% off on Cyber Monday
- Furniture and bedding: 13% off today
Plenty of the hottest items in each category also sold out over the past week. If you didn’t get what you wanted, keep an eye on continuing deals. Our Cyber Monday hub still has deals that don’t expire for a few more days.
- The companies behind clean, green beauty
- Nasdaq would consider establishing its own crypto exchange: report
- Fashion and beauty deals we can’t get enough of this week – April 25, 2018
- Financial survey says bitcoin hit its bottom
- Crypto exchanges suspend Ethereum-based tokens after smart contract bugs detected