ExtraCare is the loyalty program at CVS. Since the retailer has nearly 10,000 locations across the country — and stocks popular brands like Neutrogena, Kellogg’s, Ben & Jerry’s, Essie, Olly and more — it may be worth your while to check out. Here’s what you need to know before signing up.
At a glance
- Earn 2% back on purchases — that’s $2 for every $100 you spend.
- Earn 10% back on beauty purchases — that’s $3 for every $30 you spend.
- Prescriptions will also earn you points.
- All your points will expire unless you spend a minimum of $50 quarterly.
- Some products aren’t eligible for ExtraBucks, including postage stamps and magazines.
Frequent CVS shoppers will find lots to love with ExtraCare, as you can save pocket money over the course of a year — especially if you’re big into beauty. But if you spend less than $50 there every three months, it won’t be worth your while, as your points will expire before you’ve earned a reward.
There are two main components of the ExtraCare:
- Earn 2% back on CVS purchases. That means you’ll get a $2 credit — called ExtraBucks — to use after spending $100 on eligible items, including most prescriptions.
- Receive exclusive coupons. You’ll get deals and discounts delivered straight to your email and special offers printed on the bottom of your receipts.
CVS also runs promotions where you’ll rack up more ExtraBucks than usual when you purchase specific products, from batteries to vitamins to tampons.
Do ExtraCare rewards expire?
Yes. After you earn ExtraBucks rewards, you’ve got 45 days to use ’em before they expire.
And if you don’t spend at least $50 on qualifying purchases for a minimum of $1 in ExtraBucks by the end of an earning period, your credits will expire and won’t carry over into the next period. Earning periods are quarterly and run from January to March, April to June, July to September and October to September.
Can I earn ExtraCare points on prescriptions?
Yes! But you can only earn up to $50 on prescriptions every year — so basically, you can earn ExtraCare points when you spend up to $2,500 on prescriptions each year. Spend more than $2,500 and you won’t earn rewards.
One of the best aspects of ExtraCare is its BeautyClub. This is a program within ExtraCare that you need to sign up for even if you’re already a member of ExtraCare — and you’ll get a 10% off coupon when you do. BeautyClub includes:
- $3 in rewards every time you spend $30 on beauty.
- Exclusive deals.
- A birthday gift.
- Free samples.
Even if you’re not a makeup junkie, there are still plenty of purchases that count toward BeautyClub points, including toiletries like shampoo, conditioner and face wash. Here’s a list of BeautyClub categories:
- Hair care
- Hair color
- Facial care
- Hand and body lotion
Prescription, trial and travel size goodies and gift cards don’t count toward BeautyClub rewards.
You can sign up for ExtraCare in store or online. To sign up online, head to the CVS website. Then:
Go to site
- Choose Create an account in the upper right-hand corner.
- Enter your name and email and create a password, then select Continue.
- Enter your address, phone number, birthday and gender.
- Agree to the terms and conditions then select Create an account.
How can I check my points balance?
Check your ExtraCare points balance by logging into your account online or through the app. Or, ask a store associate to look it up for you.
Items you can’t earn rewards on
The following items are excluded from ExtraCare rewards:
- Money orders
- Prescriptions and co-pays
- Pseudoephedrine/ephedrine products
- Postage stamps
- Prepaid cards
- Gift cards
- Newspapers and magazine
- Milk (in some states)
- Bottle deposits
- Bus passes
- Hunting and fishing licenses
- Government fees
- Items reimbursed by a government health plan
Is ExtraCare the same thing as CVS CarePass?
Nope — though you need to be an ExtraPass member to join CarePass. CVS CarePass is a monthly membership that costs $5 monthly or $48 yearly. If you’re a frequent CVS shopper, that subscription fee will likely pay for itself, since you’ll get:
- 20% off all CVS-branded health products every day.
- One $10 reward each month.
- Free one- to two-day shipping when you add at least one CarePass-eligible item to your order.
- Free delivery on prescriptions.
- Access to the 24/7 pharmacist helpline.
You can enroll in CarePass online or in-store.
ExtraCare is a solid loyalty program, especially for people that spend at least $30 on beauty items every three months. But if that doesn’t match up with your shopping habits — or you’re lusting after upscale brands that CVS doesn’t stock — consider a different rewards program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who do I contact if I have more questions about ExtraCare?
Get in touch with the CVS customer service team via:
- Phone: 800-746-7287.
- Email: Submit a query online to get started.
The customer service team is available weekdays, from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
Can I earn and redeem ExtraCare points when shopping online?
Yes! But be sure you’re logged into your account when you place the order and you’ll automatically earn ExtraCare points. To redeem a reward, choose Use Coupons/ExtraCare Rewards during the checkout process.