Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg
Find the best deal on Canadian cash for your next visit.
Whether you’re feeding the ducks at Assiniboine Park, taking in a history lesson at the Canadian Museum of Human Rights or grabbing a late lunch at The Forks, you’ll probably want to have some cash on hand for your next trip to Winnipeg.
Who can exchange my money in Winnipeg?
1. Currency Mart
Currency Mart has branches in both the Cargill Building on Graham Avenue and in St Vital shopping center on St Mary’s Road. You can preorder currency to pick up for a fee, and both branches are open six days a week.
2. ICE International
This national chain has two locations in Winnipeg at both the airport and on Portage Avenue. You can order currency through their website and they’re open six days a week, excluding Sundays.
3. Olympia Trust Foreign Exchange
This local favorite is conveniently located on Portage Avenue. It’s easy to order travel cash online but they’ll only let you collect it from Monday to Friday since they’re closed on weekends.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Find quotes online. Check rates online before going into a store so that you get a feel for what a good deal looks like.
- Know the mid-market rate. Use Google or Reuters to look up the mid-market rate, which is the rate the banks trade at, and compare it to what’s available.
- Avoid paying with plastic. You can avoid hidden charges and fees from your bank if you pay for your currency with cash.
- Steer clear of ATMs. ATMs are convenient and tempting, especially if you’re in a rush, but they also come with high fees and dismal exchange rates.
- Try not to use airport vendors. Kiosks at the airport tend to be more expensive, so if you can manage to get into town before you exchange your currency, it could save you a bundle.
- Ask for a price match. If you’ve found a better deal online or at another kiosk, don’t be afraid to barter. There’s no harm in trying and you might even walk out with a better deal.
Compare money transfer services
While a currency exchange company can help you get Canadian dollars while you’re in Winnipeg, an international money transfer provider can help you send money there from another country.
To get the best deal on cash while you’re in Canada, use a currency exchange provider in the city. And to get the best deal on cash you’re sending there, compare money transfer providers.
More guides on Finder
Christmas spending statistics 2020
A Finder poll reveals that 40% of people plan to deck fewer halls this Christmas season. Looking at which gender and country will spend less and impact on retailers, we can expect more ‘bah humbug’ this year.
10 best FIRE books of 2020
Get inspired to map your own path to financial independence and early retirement.
Which US states are hit most often by hurricanes?
We took a stroll down hurricane alley to learn which states are the most at risk for being hit, what time of year is the most active and which violent storms cost the most.
Which COVID-19 stocks are leading the vaccine race?
Hundreds of companies have candidate COVID-19 vaccines in the works, but just a handful are in the final stages.
25 books, films and podcasts about Indigenous histories and cultures
A list of recommended resources to uncover the “other side” of American history.
Reflecting on Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s legacy
8 powerhouse career women share how Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg influenced their own professions and financial lives through her advocacy for women’s rights and freedom to their own financial future.
Processing fees and campaigns: How much are Americans spending?
Finder uncovers how much Americans are spending on payment processing fees for political campaign donations, who pays the fees and which companies are benefiting the most.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
Lululemon Boxing Day sales 2020
Score savings on the season’s hottest athleisure trends with the Boxing Day sales from Lululemon.
Zelle vs. Cash App
Compare Zelle vs. Cash App to see which is best for your next transfer.
Ask an Expert