Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg
Find the best deal on Canadian cash for your next visit.
Whether you’re feeding the ducks at Assiniboine Park, taking in a history lesson at the Canadian Museum of Human Rights or grabbing a late lunch at The Forks, you’ll probably want to have some cash on hand for your next trip to Winnipeg.
Who can exchange my money in Winnipeg?
1. Currency Mart
Currency Mart has branches in both the Cargill Building on Graham Avenue and in St Vital shopping center on St Mary’s Road. You can preorder currency to pick up for a fee, and both branches are open six days a week.
2. ICE International
This national chain has two locations in Winnipeg at both the airport and on Portage Avenue. You can order currency through their website and they’re open six days a week, excluding Sundays.
3. Olympia Trust Foreign Exchange
This local favorite is conveniently located on Portage Avenue. It’s easy to order travel cash online but they’ll only let you collect it from Monday to Friday since they’re closed on weekends.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Find quotes online. Check rates online before going into a store so that you get a feel for what a good deal looks like.
- Know the mid-market rate. Use Google or Reuters to look up the mid-market rate, which is the rate the banks trade at, and compare it to what’s available.
- Avoid paying with plastic. You can avoid hidden charges and fees from your bank if you pay for your currency with cash.
- Steer clear of ATMs. ATMs are convenient and tempting, especially if you’re in a rush, but they also come with high fees and dismal exchange rates.
- Try not to use airport vendors. Kiosks at the airport tend to be more expensive, so if you can manage to get into town before you exchange your currency, it could save you a bundle.
- Ask for a price match. If you’ve found a better deal online or at another kiosk, don’t be afraid to barter. There’s no harm in trying and you might even walk out with a better deal.
Compare money transfer services
While a currency exchange company can help you get Canadian dollars while you’re in Winnipeg, an international money transfer provider can help you send money there from another country.
To get the best deal on cash while you’re in Canada, use a currency exchange provider in the city. And to get the best deal on cash you’re sending there, compare money transfer providers.
More guides on Finder
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
6 Bridgerton fashion trends to shop right now
From fascinators to dramatic sleeves and corsets, these Regency-era looks inspired by your new fave Netflix series doth slap.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Best balance transfer credit cards of 2021
Here are our top balance transfer picks for 2021.
Best business credit cards for 2021
Here are our top picks for 2021.
What are the best stocks of 2021?
Our algorithm selected 20 Aussie stocks worth watching in 2021.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
NAS drive buying guide
Find the right network attached storage device for your home with this detailed NAS drive buyer’s guide.
Best secured credit cards of 2021
Our top picks can help you build your credit without paying sky-high fees.
Best student credit cards
Our top picks for cards across 7 student categories, including international students, first-time cardholders and cashback.
Ask an Expert