Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best places to exchange currency in Vancouver
Don't overpay for Canadian dollars on your next trip.
Updated . What changed?
Exploring Vancouver can be an exciting trip, and having cash on hand can make it even easier if you’re visiting from abroad and want to avoid credit card fees. Finding a currency exchange office near your destinations so you can spend more time seeing Stanley Park or the Capilano Suspension Bridge is key, so use our map to find offices all over Vancouver to help make your trip stress-free.
Where can I exchange my money in Vancouver?
1. Charlie’s Currency Exchange
This local favorite is located on Granville St. in the heart of downtown and only accepts cash payments. The upside is that it’s open seven days a week and you won’t end up paying out the nose on any hidden charges from your bank.
2. Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange
This company has a few branches in Vancouver, including on Pender and Granville, as well as out in Richmond. Most locations are open for business on weekdays and Saturdays, and you can pay with cash or debit card on site.
3. Happy Currency Exchange
Happy Currency Exchange has three locations in Burnaby, Richmond and Vancouver. Their downtown kiosk is conveniently located on West Broadway, between Cambie and Yukon, and it’s open Monday to Saturday.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Compare your options. Shop online for the best deal before you head to your nearest exchange agent. Don’t be afraid to ask for a price match if you’ve settled on a company but their rates aren’t up to snuff.
- Know the mid-market rate. Use Google or Reuters to see the rate that the banks trade at so you can be sure to find a company offering a decent margin.
- Avoid paying with debit or credit. The world might run on plastic but with foreign currency exchange, you should stick to cash or pay with a bank transfer. Otherwise, you could be dinged for a cash advance, which comes with a hefty 2% to 5% charge on your next bank statement.
- Choose foreign exchange over an ATM. ATMs can end up costing you a bundle in hidden fees and dismal exchange rates. It pays to do your homework and find a decent kiosk to change your money.
- Steer clear of airport vendors. Airport vendors are notorious for ripping off unsuspecting customers. If you know you need cash before you hit the airport, plan ahead by buying currency at home to avoid high prices.
Compare money transfer services
If you’re sending money to a loved one, you can do it from home with an international money transfer company.
If you’re headed to Vancouver, skip the high fees you’d see at an ATM or airport and plan ahead to get the best rate on foreign currency. And if you simply need to send money to Vancouver, consider using an international money transfer company.
More guides on Finder
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Best balance transfer credit cards of 2021
Here are our top balance transfer picks for 2021.
Best business credit cards for 2021
Here are our top picks for 2021.
What are the best stocks of 2021?
Our algorithm selected 20 Aussie stocks worth watching in 2021.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
NAS drive buying guide
Find the right network attached storage device for your home with this detailed NAS drive buyer’s guide.
Power bank buying guide: How to find the best portable charger for your devices
We’ll help you choose the right power bank for your devices. Learn how to compare power bank capacity, ports and other features.
Best secured credit cards of 2021
Our top picks can help you build your credit without paying sky-high fees.
Best student credit cards
Our top picks for cards across 7 student categories, including international students, first-time cardholders and cashback.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.