Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best places to exchange currency in Toronto
Get the best deal on cash for your trip to Canada's biggest city.
Seeing the sights in Toronto shouldn’t be interrupted by having to visit ATMs to snag some cash. Instead, visit a currency exchange office or order Canadian dollars ahead of time so you can spend more time at the CN Tower or enjoying delicacies at the St. Lawrence Market.
Where can I exchange my money in Toronto?
Located just north of the Entertainment District in downtown Old Toronto, this money changer has over 100 currencies for sale. Or, order cash online for pickup later. It’s open seven days a week and also offers a currency buyback program.
2. Wall Street Finance
You’ll find this exchange store on Yonge Street in the heart of downtown, open six days a week. Exchange currencies for more than 50 countries and pay with cash or debit card in store.
3. Kantor Currency Exchange
Kantor’s Toronto Branch can be found on Runnymede Road, close to the metro station. It sells more than 70 currencies and is open all week, except for Sundays.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Shop around. It pays to compare your options before you head out the door. Call three to four businesses for quotes or check their rates online to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
- Know the interbank rate. Use Google or Reuters to check the mid-market rate, AKA the interbank rate, which is the rate that the banks trade at. Steer clear of companies that aren’t charging something similar.
- Opt to pay with cash or bank transfer. Avoid paying with card when you buy foreign currencies. Your bank might ding you for a cash advance, which could cost you 2% to 5% more on your next bank statement.
- Avoid ATMs. ATMs charge fees outright and behind-the-scenes, so can end up costing you a lot. It pays to do your homework and find a decent kiosk to exchange your money.
- Don’t exchange money at the airport. This is a big no-no. If you need cash before you hit the airport, plan ahead by pre-buying currency at home to avoid high prices.
Compare money transfer services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
If you’re heading to Toronto, save money by picking up Canadian dollars at an exchange company with competitive rates. And if you’re staying home and simply sending funds to Canada, compare money transfer companies to find the best deal.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Bitcoin (BTC) in the US
Want to buy bitcoin but don’t know where to start? This comprehensive guide provides step-by-step instructions on how and where to buy BTC in the US.
Coinbase vs Robinhood
Discover which exchange is better suited to cryptocurrency trading after comparing things like fees, security and features.
Metamask wallet review and guide
All you need to know about Metamask – the browser extension digital wallet and a user-friendly bridge to the world of Ethereum decentralised applications.
Coinbase vs Coinbase Pro
We compare Coinbase and Coinbase Pro side-by-side so you can see the differences in fees, features, supported cryptocurrencies and more.
Bitcoin cloud mining
Read the full guide to Bitcoin cloud mining to see how these questionable services operate.
Edward Jones review
Edward Jones is a full-service brokerage firm that grants every investment account access to a financial advisor.
Cryptocurrency staking guide: How to stake coins for rewards
Staking is one of the most popular ways to earn an income with cryptocurrency – learn how to get started with this guide.
Review: FTX US cryptocurrency exchange
What you need to know about using FTX US, including fees, available cryptocurrencies and what payment methods are available.
SmartyPig Savings account review
With no fees and a 0.7% APY, Smartypig is among today’s best savings accounts.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.