Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Where to exchange currency in Ottawa
Get the best deal on Canadian cash in the country's capital.
Updated . What changed?
Use a money transfer provider to order Canadian dollars now, or pick out the currency exchange you’ll use in Ottawa to save time later. Either way, sorting out your currency plans can free up more time to visit the Rideau Canal, explore Parliament Hill or to sample some delicacies in Byward Market.
Who can exchange my money in Ottawa?
1. Ultimate Currency Exchange
There are a few branches in Ottawa, including on Carling Avenue and Sparks St. You can use their online currency calculator to figure out the rates, and most locations are open for business six days a week.
2. International Currency Exchange
You’ll be able to find this exchange store in Place d’Orléans, St. Laurent Centre and the international airport. You can order your currencies online and pick them up seven days a week.
3. Ottawa Foreign Currency Exchange
You can find Ottawa Foreign Currency Exchanges on Bank Street in Alta Vista and in Billings Bridge Plaza. It’s open for business on weekdays and Saturdays, and you can pay with cash or debit card in store.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Shop online for the best deals. It pays to compare services before you head to your nearest exchange agent. Most places have online currency calculators that you can use to price match, or even order your currency ahead of time.
- Know the mid-market rate. If you check the mid-market rate on Google or Reuters before you start shopping, then you’ll know how big a margin each company is charging.
- Avoid paying with your debit or credit card. Always use cash or a bank transfer to pay for foreign currencies to save money on hidden fees and charges.
- Don’t use ATMs. These are largely overpriced and can end up costing you a bundle in hidden fees and poor exchange rates.
- Stay away from airport vendors. You’ll often get better prices on foreign currencies if you buy currency ahead of time at home or head into the city center before you make your exchange.
Compare money transfer services
Similar to foreign currency exchange, an international money transfer lets you send local currency to a loved one overseas.
If you need to exchange money in Ottawa, head to an exchange company in the city for the best rates. And if you need to send money to someone in Ottawa but you’d rather not make the trip, use an international money transfer provider to get the best deal.
More guides on Finder
Top 6 winter fashion trends perfect for that Netflix & chill vibe
From cozy oversized coats to statement sleeves and necklines that prompt double takes, here are the trends you need in your closet as the new year begins.
Top Christmas Eve boxes to brighten everyone’s holiday
Sending a Christmas Eve box is a way to stay connected and ring in the holiday. Get ideas and inspriration here!
Xbox Series X pre-orders: Where to buy
Microsoft’s next-gen Xbox is set to launch on November 10. Here are all the places you can pre-order the Xbox Series X.
Moomoo stock trading review
Features and fees to consider before you open an account with this trading platform.
Here’s what you need to know about Chewy, the popular pet retailer that offers fast shipping, a wide-variety of products and 24/7 customer service.
10 best FIRE books of 2020
Get inspired to map your own path to financial independence and early retirement.
Which US states are hit most often by hurricanes?
We took a stroll down hurricane alley to learn which states are the most at risk for being hit, what time of year is the most active and which violent storms cost the most.
25 books, films and podcasts about Indigenous histories and cultures
A list of recommended resources to uncover the “other side” of American history.
Reflecting on Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s legacy
8 powerhouse career women share how Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg influenced their own professions and financial lives through her advocacy for women’s rights and freedom to their own financial future.
Where to buy the PlayStation 5
With the PS5 set to launch November 12th, check in on new stock at top sites to put in your order today.