Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Where to exchange currency in Ottawa
Get the best deal on Canadian cash in the country's capital.
Updated . What changed?
Use a money transfer provider to order Canadian dollars now, or pick out the currency exchange you’ll use in Ottawa to save time later. Either way, sorting out your currency plans can free up more time to visit the Rideau Canal, explore Parliament Hill or to sample some delicacies in Byward Market.
Where can I exchange my money in Ottawa?
1. Ultimate Currency Exchange
There are a few branches in Ottawa, including on Carling Avenue and Sparks St. You can use their online currency calculator to figure out the rates, and most locations are open for business six days a week.
2. International Currency Exchange
You’ll be able to find this exchange store in Place d’Orléans, St. Laurent Centre and the international airport. You can order your currencies online and pick them up seven days a week.
3. Ottawa Foreign Currency Exchange
You can find Ottawa Foreign Currency Exchanges on Bank Street in Alta Vista and in Billings Bridge Plaza. It’s open for business on weekdays and Saturdays, and you can pay with cash or debit card in store.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Shop online for the best deals. It pays to compare services before you head to your nearest exchange agent. Most places have online currency calculators that you can use to price match, or even order your currency ahead of time.
- Know the mid-market rate. If you check the mid-market rate on Google or Reuters before you start shopping, then you’ll know how big a margin each company is charging.
- Avoid paying with your debit or credit card. Always use cash or a bank transfer to pay for foreign currencies to save money on hidden fees and charges.
- Don’t use ATMs. These are largely overpriced and can end up costing you a bundle in hidden fees and poor exchange rates.
- Stay away from airport vendors. You’ll often get better prices on foreign currencies if you buy currency ahead of time at home or head into the city center before you make your exchange.
Compare money transfer services
Similar to foreign currency exchange, an international money transfer lets you send local currency to a loved one overseas.
If you need to exchange money in Ottawa, head to an exchange company in the city for the best rates. And if you need to send money to someone in Ottawa but you’d rather not make the trip, use an international money transfer provider to get the best deal.
More guides on Finder
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Best balance transfer credit cards of 2021
Here are our top balance transfer picks for 2021.
What are the best stocks of 2021?
Our algorithm selected 20 Aussie stocks worth watching in 2021.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
NAS drive buying guide
Find the right network attached storage device for your home with this detailed NAS drive buyer’s guide.
Best secured credit cards of 2021
Our top picks can help you build your credit without paying sky-high fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Best cashback credit cards
The top cards often have cashback rewards of 5% or more. But which one is the best for you depends on how you spend.
Best airline credit cards of 2021
Have your sights set on travel this year? We compared nearly 100 cards to find the best deals and perks.