Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Where to exchange currency in Ottawa
Get the best deal on Canadian cash in the country's capital.
Whether you’re meandering down the Rideau Canal, getting political on Parliament Hill or sampling the local delicacies in the Byward Market, you’ll likely need to have some cash on hand while you’re in Canada.
Who can exchange my money in Ottawa?
1. Ultimate Currency Exchange
There are a few branches in Ottawa, including on Carling Avenue and Sparks St. You can use their online currency calculator to figure out the rates, and most locations are open for business six days a week.
2. International Currency Exchange
You’ll be able to find this exchange store in Place d’Orléans, St. Laurent Centre and the international airport. You can order your currencies online and pick them up seven days a week.
3. Ottawa Foreign Currency Exchange
You can find Ottawa Foreign Currency Exchanges on Bank Street in Alta Vista and in Billings Bridge Plaza. It’s open for business on weekdays and Saturdays, and you can pay with cash or debit card in store.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Shop online for the best deals. It pays to compare services before you head to your nearest exchange agent. Most places have online currency calculators that you can use to price match, or even order your currency ahead of time.
- Know the mid-market rate. If you check the mid-market rate on Google or Reuters before you start shopping, then you’ll know how big a margin each company is charging.
- Avoid paying with your debit or credit card. Always use cash or a bank transfer to pay for foreign currencies to save money on hidden fees and charges.
- Don’t use ATMs. These are largely overpriced and can end up costing you a bundle in hidden fees and poor exchange rates.
- Stay away from airport vendors. You’ll often get better prices on foreign currencies if you buy currency ahead of time at home or head into the city center before you make your exchange.
Compare money transfer services
Similar to foreign currency exchange, an international money transfer lets you send local currency to a loved one overseas.
If you need to exchange money in Ottawa, head to an exchange company in the city for the best rates. And if you need to send money to someone in Ottawa but you’d rather not make the trip, use an international money transfer provider to get the best deal.