Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Where to exchange currency in Ottawa
Get the best deal on Canadian cash in the country's capital.
Use a money transfer provider to order Canadian dollars now, or pick out the currency exchange you’ll use in Ottawa to save time later. Either way, sorting out your currency plans can free up more time to visit the Rideau Canal, explore Parliament Hill or to sample some delicacies in Byward Market.
Where can I exchange my money in Ottawa?
1. Ultimate Currency Exchange
There are a few branches in Ottawa, including on Carling Avenue and Sparks St. You can use their online currency calculator to figure out the rates, and most locations are open for business six days a week.
2. International Currency Exchange
You’ll be able to find this exchange store in Place d’Orléans, St. Laurent Centre and the international airport. You can order your currencies online and pick them up seven days a week.
3. Ottawa Foreign Currency Exchange
You can find Ottawa Foreign Currency Exchanges on Bank Street in Alta Vista and in Billings Bridge Plaza. It’s open for business on weekdays and Saturdays, and you can pay with cash or debit card in store.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Shop online for the best deals. It pays to compare services before you head to your nearest exchange agent. Most places have online currency calculators that you can use to price match, or even order your currency ahead of time.
- Know the mid-market rate. If you check the mid-market rate on Google or Reuters before you start shopping, then you’ll know how big a margin each company is charging.
- Avoid paying with your debit or credit card. Always use cash or a bank transfer to pay for foreign currencies to save money on hidden fees and charges.
- Don’t use ATMs. These are largely overpriced and can end up costing you a bundle in hidden fees and poor exchange rates.
- Stay away from airport vendors. You’ll often get better prices on foreign currencies if you buy currency ahead of time at home or head into the city center before you make your exchange.
Compare money transfer services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
If you need to exchange money in Ottawa, head to an exchange company in the city for the best rates. And if you need to send money to someone in Ottawa but you’d rather not make the trip, use an international money transfer provider to get the best deal.
More guides on Finder
3 upcoming IPOs to watch in August 2021
Keep an eye on these upcoming IPOs in August 2021.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
How to buy Bitcoin (BTC) in the US
Want to buy bitcoin but don’t know where to start? This comprehensive guide provides step-by-step instructions on how and where to buy BTC in the US.
What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
Coinbase vs Robinhood
Discover which exchange is better suited to cryptocurrency trading after comparing things like fees, security and features.
Citi Custom Cash℠ Card Review
An enticing and easy-to-use 5% cashback card.
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
Metamask wallet review and guide
All you need to know about Metamask – the browser extension digital wallet and a user-friendly bridge to the world of Ethereum decentralised applications.
Review: Venmo app for cryptocurrency
Venmo provides a convenient way to send money to friends, and now users can buy cryptocurrency like Bitcoin with as little as $1.
Coinbase vs Coinbase Pro
We compare Coinbase and Coinbase Pro side-by-side so you can see the differences in fees, features, supported cryptocurrencies and more.