Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
Best places to exchange currency in Montréal
Find the best deal on Canadian cash for your next trip to Montreal.
Find more time to relax and enjoy the sights, like the Notre-Dame Basilica, by ordering Canadian dollars ahead of time or visiting an exchange shop once during your trip. Our custom Google Map will show you popular currency exchanges, and our comparison table presents options to exchange currency ahead of time.
Where can I exchange my money in Montréal?
1. Globex 2000
Globex 2000 offers six spots to exchange your cash in Montréal, including three locations downtown. You can reserve currencies ahead of time by booking online. Be sure to check ahead if you plan on visiting on Saturday or Sunday, since several locations are closed or have modified hours on weekends.
YAP.cx offers foreign and local currencies as well as bitcoin exchange, and can be found right across from the Notre-Dame Basilica and Place d’Armes in the city centre. YAP is open for business every day, including weekends, but make sure that you bring cash, because it’s the only way you can pay at the moment.
3. Universal Currency Exchange
This place is conveniently located in the underground floor of an office/hotel building in Old Town. It’s closed on weekends, but open every other day of the week.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Shop online for foreign currency. Most agents have a calculator on their websites to help you figure out how much your currency will net you in Canadian dollars or vice versa. Surf the net to dig up the best deals before you head to your nearest exchange agent.
- Know the mid-market rate. Use Google or Reuters to see what the mid-market rate is so that you can spot the companies charging the best margin.
- Pay with a bank transfer or cash. Avoid paying for your currency with a debit or credit card where possible, as you might be dinged for a cash advance, which could leave you with a 2% to 5% charge on your next bank statement.
- Avoid using ATMs. ATMs are convenient and tempting, especially if you’re in a rush — but they’re also expensive. Try to exchange your currency in advance to avoid high bank fees and dismal exchange rates.
- Steer clear from airport vendors. If you need cash before you hit the airport, plan ahead by buying currency at home to avoid high prices.
- Ask for a price match. If you’ve found a better deal online or at another kiosk, don’t be afraid to barter. There’s no harm in trying and you might even walk out with a better deal.
Compare money transfer services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Getting Canadian cash at an exchange company in Montréal can get you a better deal than you’d see at an airport or ATM. But for the best deal on foreign currency, do your research before you leave home, and consider using an international money transfer company if you need to get money to someone else.
More guides on Finder
Earning on KuCoin
Explore all of the ways to earn interest on a variety of cryptocurrency assets by using KuCoin exchange, including staking and lending.
Earning on Coinbase review
Learn how to earn interest on your cryptocurrency using Coinbase exchange. Finder’s guide to earning on Coinbase has information on Coinbase Learn, staking and DeFi.
Terra Virtua Review and Guide
The Terra Virtua marketplace is a platform focused on the entertainment industry and is for users looking to interact with NFTs and immerse themselves in augmented and virtual reality.
Nifty Gateway Review and Guide
Your complete guide to buying and selling NFTs (non-fungible tokens) on popular marketplace Nifty Gateway
Wings Financial Credit Union CDs review
CD terms from 3 months to 5 years and no monthly fees but a minimum balance is required.
Superior Choice Credit Union Share Certificates review
Flexible terms of between 3 months and 5 years but high balances are needed to get the best rates.
EnjinX Marketplace review and guide
EnjinX is an NFT Marketplace where assets can be purchased with ENJ. Enjin builds next-gen games using Ethereum based NFTs.
Crypto.com NFT Marketplace Review and Guide
Crypto.com NFT marketplace stands out as a beginner-friendly NFT marketplace that can be accessed by almost everyone in the world.
eBay NFTs review and guide
A deep dive into eBay’s foray into the NFT ecosystem, looking at everything from available categories to potential drawbacks.
Binance NFT Marketplace Review and Guide
The Binance NFT Marketplace offers one of the safest NFT marketplaces for creating, buying and selling NFTs.
Ask an Expert