Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Best places to exchange currency in Edmonton
Find the best deal on cash in Canada's Festival City.
Whether you’re hitting up the festivals, exploring the botanical gardens at the Muttart Conservatory or making big discoveries at TELUS World of Science, there’s no shortage of things to do in Edmonton. So how do you choose the best foreign currency exchange to make the most of your trip?
Who can exchange my money in Edmonton?
You can find Calforex branches in South Edmonton and West Edmonton Mall. It’s open seven days a week and has over 100 currencies in stock.
2. International Currency Exchange
ICE is conveniently located at Edmonton City Centre and the international airport. You can order your cash online and pick it up seven days a week.
3. Unimoni Exchange
Located off Calgary Trail South near Whitemud Drive, Unimoni is open six days a week and you can pay with cash or debit card on site. If you want to learn more about Unimoni, check out our full review.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Do a quick comparison. Most foreign exchange vendors have online calculators that you can use to find the best deal.
- Know the interbank rate. Look for the interbank rate, also known as the mid-market rate, on Google or Reuters before you start shopping. This will let you know how wide a margin each company is charging.
- Opt for cash over card. Your bank might ding you with hidden charges and fees on the other end.
- Avoid ATMs. ATMs are run by banks who are notorious for offering dismal exchange rates. Visit a reputable foreign exchange service to save money on your next transaction.
- Don’t exchange at the airport. Buy your currency before you leave or wait until you head into the city center to avoid high airport rates.
Compare money transfer services
If your money needs to get to Edmonton without you, use one of these international money transfer providers for the best deal.
If you’re heading to Edmonton and need cash, research ahead of time to get the best deal on the exchange. And if your money needs to make it there without you, compare money transfer providers to find the best exchange rate.