Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Best places to exchange currency in Calgary
Find the best deal on Canadian dollars for your trip to Stampede City.
Updated . What changed?
Finding a currency exchange in Calgary shouldn’t eat into your time spent in the city. Instead, use our list of currency exchanges in Calgary to quickly change your money for Canadian dollars and start enjoying your time without further delay. Each exchange offers something slightly different, whether that be stronger rates or lower fees.
So which foreign currency exchange is the best fit for you?
Who can exchange my money in Calgary?
1. Canex Forex Currency Services
You can find this kiosk at Barclay Parade near Eau Claire park, open six days a week. You can buy your currency online first, and there’s also a best rate guarantee and currency buyback program.
2. Calforex Currency Service
Look for Calforex at both the CORE shopping centre and the Chinook Mall. It’s open seven days a week and offers over 100 currencies for exchange.
3. International Currency Exchange
ICE has two locations, at the Calgary Market Mall and at First Canadian Centre, close to Courthouse Park. For a better deal, you can order your currencies online and pick them up in store seven days a week.
Tips for getting the best deal when exchanging money
- Look for the best deal online. You should compare the rates of three to four foreign exchange services before you head out the door to be sure you get the best rate.
- Know what the market is doing. Do a quick online search on Google or Reuters to see what the mid-market rate is sitting at. This is the rate the banks trade at and you should look for an exchange rate that’s as close as possible.
- Avoid paying with plastic. You can save money on hidden charges and poor exchange rates if you opt to pay with cash instead of card.
- Walk away from ATMs. ATMs can be convenient but are also expensive for foreign currencies. Look for a decent kiosk to get better rates and avoid hidden charges.
- Don’t exchange money at the airport. Airport vendors often offer even worse rates and fees than ATMs. Plan ahead by buying currency before you leave or waiting until you get to the city center.
Compare money transfer services
If you need to send money to someone in Calgary, use a money transfer provider to get the best rates.
If you’re visiting Calgary, hit up an exchange company in the city for the best rates on cash. And if you’re just sending money, compare transfer providers to get the best exchange rate.
More guides on Finder
10 best FIRE books of 2020
Get inspired to map your own path to financial independence and early retirement.
Which COVID-19 stocks are leading the vaccine race?
Hundreds of companies have candidate COVID-19 vaccines in the works, but just a handful are in the final stages.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
Zelle vs. Cash App
Compare Zelle vs. Cash App to see which is best for your next transfer.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralized finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
Connections Academy online public school review
This online public school offers a rigorous curriculum featuring live learning sessions with teachers and classmates.
Build your financial safety net: Expert advice
A small panel of 5 experts provides their advice on building a financial safety net, when to start and what to consider.
Charles Schwab vs. TD Ameritrade
Pros and cons to consider before opening an account with either of these brokerages.
TD Ameritrade vs. Vanguard
Features, fees and investor feedback to consider for these two platforms.
Fidelity vs. TD Ameritrade
Pros, cons and platform features that separate these online brokerages.