We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Green Dot Bank secured credit cards
Apply with this provider for a relatively low purchase APR.
Green Dot Bank is a secured-card provider known for its primor® products. Though it charges a higher annual fee than other providers, it offers relatively low purchase APRs.
Compare Green Dot Bank credit cards
Best Green Dot credit cards
The Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card and Green Dot primor® Visa® Gold Secured Credit Card are the bank’s two best cards. One offers the bank’s lowest annual fee, while the other provides an excellent purchase APR.
Quick look at Green Dot credit cards
- Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card: Best for low annual fee
- Green Dot primor® Visa® Gold Secured Credit Card: Best for low purchase APR
Best for low annual fee: Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card
Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card
Open a personal savings deposit account to secure a credit line from $200 to $5,000.
- $39 annual fee
- 13.99% fixed APR
- Minimum income requirement of at least $100 higher than your monthly expenses
Best for low purchase APR: Green Dot primor® Visa® Gold Secured Credit Card
Green Dot primor® Visa® Gold Secured Credit Card
Fast, easy application process with no processing or application fees.
Green Dot rewards program
Green Dot credit cards don’t offer rewards. That’s typical for secured cards, which rarely offer points or cash back.
Many personal-finance experts recommend treating your secured card solely as a means to build credit. With consistent on-time payments, you’ll slowly increase your credit score. And a higher credit score will ultimately help you qualify for rewards cards that earn you points, miles and cash back on your spending.
Typical card features and benefits of a Green Dot credit card
- No minimum credit score required. Apply for a Green Dot card even with poor credit.
- Streamlined approval. If Green Dot can verify your identity and address and you can fund a savings account with the bank, you have a good chance of approval.
- $200 minimum deposit. It’s the standard deposit for a secured card.
- Reporting to the major credit bureaus. Your responsible spending and payments are reported to Experian, TransUnion and Equifax.
Compare other secured credit cards
How to apply for a Green Dot card
To apply for a Green Dot card, you must be at least 18 years old. If you live in Alabama or Nebraska, you must be at least 19. If you live in Mississippi, you must be at least 21.
Apply for the card in four easy steps:
- Visit the Green Dot website.
- Complete the application with your name, address and other details.
- Fund your security deposit with a minimum of $200.
- Review your information and submit your application.
How does Green Dot keep my credit card information secure?
It’s not easy to find security information on Green Dot’s site. But SEC filings indicate that it encrypts sensitive data submitted through its forms and applications and over its app. It also says it implements necessary computer safeguards and keeps its files and buildings safe.
Green Dot’s secured cards offer a low purchase APR for an annual fee, helping you to steadily build your credit score with reporting to the major credit bureaus.
If you’d rather not pay a fee to improve your credit, find a secured card that better meets your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert