This fintech company evaluates customers based on factors other than just FICO scores.
Deserve is a company with a unique premise: It scopes out consumers who typically wouldn’t have access to credit cards.
When you apply for a Deserve card, the company uses its proprietary algorithm to gauge your potential as a customer. Deserve will consider factors such as:
- Your education.
- Your current financial health.
- Your projected earnings.
- Your future employability.
Editor's pick: Deserve® Classic Card
Build credit history with $0 deposit.
- $0 annual fee
- No security deposit required
- Credit limit up to $1,500
Many banks, on the other hand, simply look at traditional factors like your FICO score and current income.
Deserve offers a few credit cards for different needs: a credit-builder card, a student card and a card with strong rewards.
Deserve’s credit cards
Deserve Classic: For customers new to credit
If you have no credit history, you might find it difficult to get approved for a credit card. That’s because banks want to see a record of you paying your card bills on time.
Because Deserve considers more factors than just credit scores, it’s willing to bring in customers that are new to credit. That’s where the Deserve Classic comes in.
Read our review of the Deserve Classic
Deserve Edu Mastercard: For college students
As a college student, you may be at the perfect age to get a credit card. This can help you learn the ropes of using credit and paying off debt responsibly.
Deserve® PRO: For customers who want powerful rewards
For a card with great cash back rewards, try the Deserve® PRO. It offers 3% cash back on travel and entertainment, 2% on restaurants and 1% on all other purchases. And the earnings are all upside, because the card comes with no annual fee.
Deserve credit card benefits
All of Deserve’s products are Mastercards. Accordingly, they come with perks such as:
- Car rental coverage.
- Travel assistance services for lost luggage and medical assistance.
- Extended warranties on products you buy.
- Roadside assistance.
- Price protection that partially reimburses you if you find lower prices on items you’ve purchased.
Deserve doesn’t offer balance transfers or cash advances. However, it charges no foreign transaction fees.
How to apply for a credit card with Deserve
If you’re interested in a Deserve® PRO, check that you meet the eligibility criteria. You must be at least 18 years old to apply for a card with the company, but you don’t have to be a US citizen.
Information you’ll need for a Deserve® PRO application
- Personal information. First and last name, email address, date of birth and citizenship status.
- Contact information. Permanent address and primary phone number.
- Financial information. Social Security number, monthly housing expense, monthly income, available assets, employment status, occupation and employer name.
Deserve customer support
If you have questions, contact Deserve customer support at 800-316-7258. Representatives are available at these times, Pacific standard time:
- Monday to Thursday: 5 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Friday to Saturday: 5 a.m. to 3 p.m.
There are many credit card companies, but Deserve stands out with its unique philosophy on customer screening. If you’re having trouble getting approved for a card with another bank, Deserve may be the provider that welcomes you.
As always, compare your options with our comprehensive guide to credit cards.