Crazy Egg review
Heatmaps, recordings and more show exactly how users interact with your website.
Crazy Egg is a web analytics company that specializes in user experience (UX) and usability tools. It can help you increase conversions by providing insight about where users are clicking and where they’re getting stuck.
Just keep in mind that if you wish to continue after the 30-day free trial expires, you’ll have to sign a yearly contract.
What does Crazy Egg do?
Crazy Egg offers web analytics that focus on how a website’s visitors interact with its pages. Key features include:
- Heatmap. A heatmap uses thermal imaging to track user clicks. It shows where people are clicking — and where they’re not clicking.
- Confetti. Every individual click on your website is displayed and classified by where it came from, what the visitor was searching for and more.
- Scrollmap. The scrollmaps visualize your website in degrees of heat. The most-viewed portions appear dark red. The color turns lighter to indicate how far down a page visitors are scrolling before leaving the site altogether.
- Overlay. This report can help designers improve the UX experience of any given page by showing the percentage of clicks that each element receives — lending specific insight and measurable data into how to improve.
- Recordings. Watch screen recordings of individual users as they visit and interact with your page.
- A WordPress plugin. It’s free to download and automatically installs the tracking code onto every page of your website.
Plans and pricing
Crazy Egg plans are billed annually, and once you purchase a membership you can apply it to as many websites as you’d like.
Pros and Cons
- All plans are free for the first 30 days.
- Downloadable spreadsheets offer measurable UX data.
- It’s web-based, so it doesn’t take up hard drive space.
- There’s no monthly subscription option — you’ll have to commit to a year contract.
- The free trial requires you to enter your credit card information.