How do memberships for shared office spaces work?
Memberships and benefits tiers differ by coworking brand but can include:
- Hot desks. These unassigned seats are available to whomever gets there first. Because you won’t sit at the same desk each day, you must pack up all your belongings when you leave. Lockers are often available.
- Dedicated desks. You’re assigned a desks space, allowing you to leave your belongings, such as a monitor setup or keyboard and mouse. You may also get under-desk storage to secure other businesses must-haves.
- Private spaces or offices. Small- to medium-size businesses, satellite teams and branch teams can reserve private offices or meeting rooms in coworking spaces. Setups can accommodate teams of four to 100, depending on availability and the size of the space. You may get additional services with a membership, like priority access to meeting rooms or discounted event room hire.
- Weekender membership. Some coworking spaces offer discounts for weekend or evening use only, which can be a solid option for entrepreneurs looking to launch a startup outside their 9-to-5 jobs.
- Community access. If you live too far from the coworking space or are happy working on your startup from home, you may still benefit a membership that unlocks access to events, networking with investors, pitches, discounts on software and purchased day passes when you need office space.
- Global memberships. Some coworking memberships are tailored to regular travelers. Offered by either third-party companies or global networks, these membership give you access to coworking hubs worldwide.
- Virtual memberships. These memberships often include phone-answering services and a business address, but no office space. You may also gain access to events and an online community of like-minded workers.
What amenities are available in coworking spaces?
Amenities vary by coworking space but often offer a mix of business, tech and networking amenities like:
- IT support
- Online and in-person community
- Business address and mail forwarding
- Reception services
- Tea, coffee, beer, wine and snacks
- Bike storage
- Desk storage
- Planned networking and social events
How much do coworking spaces cost?
Prices for coworking spaces range from $200 to $700 a month for a hot desk and from $600 to $1,300 a month for a private office. Costs and flexibility can vary wildly by city, industry, amenities and coworking focus.
Frequently asked questions
Image source: Getty Images