Country Financial car insurance review
Save time and money with unique discounts and convenient online quotes.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want a transparent online experience.
- Pick something else if you want an easy claims process.
- Drivers can’t get coverage for cars more than 20 years old.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, custom|
No info available
- Long-term stability
- Flexible coverage options
- Unique discounts
- Limited availability
- Hard sells financial services
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 30%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, 15%|
|Special employment discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Other discounts||Engaged Couple Discount, up to 25% when married|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Country Financial provides comprehensive auto insurance options, add-ons and discounts that might save you money on customized coverage.
But if you live outside the 19 states it services, you’ll want to compare insurance providers to find the most affordable coverage you’re eligible for.
Where can I get Country Financial car insurance?
Country Financial was founded by a group of farmers in Illinois in 1925. What began as a fire and lightning insurance company has grown to a financial service provider employing more than 5,000 people and offering insurance in 19 states:
- North Dakota
What car insurance coverage does Country Financial offer?
You’ll get your pick of standard coverage types. But Country Financial’s commitment to customization means you can adjust your deductible to meet your budget and bundle options beyond auto coverage:
- Collision. Offers protection for damages to your vehicle after an accident at deductibles that range from $50 to $1,000.
- Comprehensive. Covers vehicle damages in the event of theft, vandalism, hail and falling objects at deductibles that range from $0 to $1,000.
- Uninsured motorists property damage. If you’re the victim of a hit-and-run or collide with someone who doesn’t have car insurance, this coverage kicks in to pay for damages.
- Bodily injury coverage. Covers injuries to other parties if you’re in an accident you’re at fault for.
- Property damage coverage. Takes care of the cost of damaged property after an at-fault collision.
- Medical payments coverage. Pays medical bills for you or passengers for up to two years after a covered accident.
- Personal injury protection. Compensates you for lost wages, child care and other expenses that might arise from an accident.
- Emergency road service. Reimburses you up to $100 for towing, repair parts or labor charges for roadside assistance.
- Safety glass coverage. Waives your comprehensive deductible to repair or replace your windshield, windows or light covers.
- Special tenants coverage for renters. Instead of purchasing separate renters insurance, you can add coverage to your auto policy for up to $20,000 with a $250 deductible.
- The Keeper coverage. If your car is younger than four years old, this collision and comprehensive protection pays for new car of similar make and model if yours is considered a total loss after an accident.
- Vehicle rental and trip interruption. For accidents that occur more than 100 miles from home, get reimbursed for up to $800 of a covered loss to pay for a rental car, transportation, lodging and meals.
- Personal effects coverage. Protects the valuables in your car for up to $800 with a $100 deductible.
- Umbrella insurance. Extend liability coverage to $1 million or more.
What discounts can I get with Country Financial?
Country Financial allows you to chip away at your premium through discounts you won’t find with all insurers. Note that not all discounts are available in each state it services, however.
- Anti-theft discount. Save on your comprehensive coverage with an eligible alarm or antitheft device.
- Defensive driver discount. Get a policy discount of up to 5% for completing a state-approved defensive driving course.
- Teen driver discount. If you’re a newly licensed driver, you might get up to 10% off your premium for completing Country Financial’s Simply Drive course.
- Good student discount. Maintain a B average or higher in high school or college, and you could be eligible for a discount of up to 25%.
- Engaged couple discount. If you’re at least 21 and plan to tie the knot within a year, you could be eligible for a discounted rate. After you marry, save by combining policies with your spouse.
- Multicar discount. Insure two or more cars for yet another discount.
- Multipolicy discount. Bundle qualifying investments or policies with your car insurance to save up to 25%.
- New vehicle discount. Insuring a new vehicle could save you up to 10% on your policy.
- Occupation discount. K–12 teachers are eligible for a 10% discount, while firefighters, police officers, EMTs and paramedics may get up to 5%.
Pros and cons of Country Financial car insurance
- Long-term stability. In business for nearly a century, Country Financial maintains a healthy track record of business growth that reflects its stability.
- Flexible coverage options. Whether you’re interested in minimal coverage or a customized policy, you have a range of coverage options to select from.
- Unique discounts. Teens, engaged couples and drivers of new cars can chip away at premiums beyond your standard discounts.
- Limited availability. Country Financial services 19 states only.
- Hard sells financial services. Focused on life insurance and investments, customers say that reps frequently try to sell you products beyond auto.
- No older, classic or antique cars. Country Financial doesn’t cover any vehicle that’s older than 20 years.
Compare competitors to Country Financial
Country Financial car insurance as of October 2020
Online reviews of Country Financial suggest that rates are competitive and customer service representatives are knowledgeable and courteous.
But customers warn that filing a claim with Country Financial can be painstaking and tedious. Some say they were unsatisfied with the payout received, suggesting only a partial payout that left them feeling shortchanged. A few Redditors add that you could be asked to consider life insurance and investment products quite frequently, which can get annoying.
Country Financial itself is not an accredited with the Better Business Bureau, but it earns an A+ based on the BBB’s internal criteria. It also earns an A+ (Superior) rating from A.M. Best, as of October 2020.
How to apply
Get a free auto quote online from Country Financial.
What info do I need to apply?
If you like Country Financial’s quote enough to sign up, you’ll need to provide:
- Your driver’s licence.
- Your vehicle’s make, model and VIN.
- The number of miles on your vehicle’s odometer.
- Your checking or savings account details.
Country Financial requires you to submit your banking information to sign up, but you aren’t required to set up autopay for your premiums. Pay for your policy online, by mail or by phone.
How can I find a Country Financial agent near me?
Go to Country Financial’s website and click Find a Rep. Enter details about where you live, and click the green magnifying glass.
If you live in one of the states Country Financial services, you’ll see an interactive map of agents near you, including business addresses and phone numbers
If you don’t live in one of the 19 states that Country Financial services, you may be referred to a partner for auto coverage.
How to make a claim
Report a car insurance claim can be stressful. Country Financial makes it easy to start your claim through your online MyCOUNTRY account or by calling dedicated claims reps at 866-268-6879.
- Write down your claim confirmation number, and wait for contact from the Country Financial rep assigned to your claim.
- Your representative walks you through the required next steps.
- Follow through on any next steps, which could include a car inspection and filing a police report.
- After you receive an estimate of damages, you can schedule repairs with an auto repair shop.
How to contact Country Financial
Pay a bill, report a claim or submit a comment, question or suggestion at any time through your online MyCOUNTRY account. To speak with a representative, call Country Financial or live chat through its site.
Download the Country Financial app to register your policy, update your billing information, pay on the go and request roadside assistance all from your phone.
Frequently asked questions about Country Financial
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.