A no-frills card with generous and reliable cash-back rewards on everyday spending.
There are countless cards out there with bells and whistles galore. The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi isn’t one of them. What you’ll get instead is a reliable card with solid cash-back rewards: 4% on gas, 3% on dining and travel, 2% at Costco and Costco.com, and 1% on everything else. That’s pretty much all there is to the card — but for many families, it’ll be exactly what they need.
|Product Name||Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||16.99% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.99% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 23 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $37|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $37|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1% cash back|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi review
The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi may be most useful for busy families, as it’s loaded with cash-back options for different spending categories.
Shuttling family members around can require many trips to the gas station — but those trips will be more palatable with the Costco Anywhere card’s 4% cash back on up to $7,000 of fuel each year (after which you’ll earn 1% cash back). Taking the family on vacation or to restaurants comes with 3% cash back. Stocking the house with food and supplies is a no-brainer with 2% cash back at Costco and Costco.com. And for everything else, there’s a 1% cash-back sweetener.
That’s pretty much all there is to the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi, but the cash-back options alone are perfect if you anticipate the same types of expenses month after month. You won’t need to worry about rotating categories of spending rewards; rest easy knowing your cash-back rewards hold very few surprises.
In addition to the generous cash-back features, you’ll find extras from Citi that make buying products and traveling worldwide much more attractive. Price Rewind (Citi’s version of price protection) is a great perk, and travel services like trip cancellation protection, car rental insurance, accident insurance and travel assistance are welcome add-ons.
- $0 annual fee. The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi comes with no annual fee, as long as you have a paid Costco membership. If you are not currently a Costco member, you can purchase a Membership Activation Certificate for $55.
- 4% cash back on gas. When you use your Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi to purchase eligible gas (including gas at Costco), you will receive 4% cash back. This rate applies up to the first $7,000 you spend for the year, after which it changes to 1%.
- 3% cash back on restaurants and travel. You will receive 3% cash back when spending on eligible restaurants and travel (airfare, hotels, cruises, car rentals, etc.).
- 2% cash back on purchases from Costco and Costco.com. Receive 2% cash back on purchases at Costco warehouses and at Costco.com.
- 1% cash back on everything else. On all other purchases, you’ll receive 1% cash back with your Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi.
- The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi doubles as a Costco membership ID. Shoppers need to show their Costco membership cards to enter Costco. As a Costco Anywhere cardholder, you can simply show your credit card for entry.
- Citi Price Rewind. If you purchase an item with your Citi card, Price Rewind will look for a lower price elsewhere. If it finds a lower price on the item within 60 days after your purchase, you may receive a rebate for the extra amount you paid.
- Travel protection. With the Citi card, you’ll receive travel services like accident insurance, car rental insurance, trip cancellation protection, travel assistance and emergency assistance.
- Purchase protection. With Citi’s purchase protection, you’ll receive extended warranties on your purchases. You’ll also receive damage and theft protection on purchased items.
Features of the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
- Balance transfer restrictions. If you’d like to initiate balance transfers, you need to complete them within 2 months after you’ve opened your account.
- Higher interest rate and fee for cash advances. Taking out cash advances comes with a 26.99% variable APR and a fee of $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
- Redeeming Costco Cash Rewards. You will receive a coupon every year with your Costco Cash Rewards. It will be included in your February billing statement and you can exchange the coupon for cash or merchandise by December 31.
- Penalty APR for late payments. Keep in mind that making a late or returned payment may result in a penalty APR applied to your account. This APR may be as high as 29.99% variable and it may last indefinitely.
- Balance transfer limit. The collective amount of your balance transfers and balance transfer fees must be within your revolving credit limit.
Compare top rewards credit cards
How to apply for the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
- You are at least 18 years old
Required documents & information
- Your name, residential status and residential address
- Your Social Security number
- Your email address, phone number and date of birth
- Financial information like your annual salary and wages
If you’re a big fan of bulk shopping at Costco and you’re in the market for a simple cash back rewards card, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi could be a great shopping pal.
But if you want to expand on your cash back rewards, you may be better off comparing other credit cards with additional perks geared towards travel and signup bonuses.