Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare the best coolers
Only the best for your food and drinks.
Not all coolers are created equal. They range in price from $15 to $300 or more and come in a variety of sizes, types and styles. They’re also the life of the party, so choose wisely.
Compare top coolers
Coleman Fliplid 6
||$299.95||Hard||45||Pink, White, Blue,
Igloo BMX 52 Quart Cooler
||$100.00||Hard||49||Carbonite Gray/Carbonite Blue||Shop now|
YETI Hopper Flip Portable Cooler
||$249.99||Soft||11.7||Charcoal, Tan, Gray||Shop now|
CleverMade SnapBasket 50 Can
YETI Tundra 45 Cooler
||$299.99||Hard||45||White, Tan, Coral, Ice Blue, Reef Blue||Shop now|
Hard vs. soft coolers
Choosing between a hard or soft cooler depends on how you want to use it. Soft coolers are usually lighter, easier to transport and collapsible, so they take up little space when not in use. This makes them handy for short or day trips.
Hard coolers are more durable, offer more storage and typically keep items colder for longer — but they can be bulky. These coolers are ideal for longer trips and outdoor use.
How much do coolers cost?
Coolers range in price from $15 to $300+ based on size, material, insulation and brand. Cheaper ones are typically small and can only keep food cold for a few hours.
If you need a cooler for an extended trip, it might be worth investing in a more expensive and durable option that offers multiple days of ice retention.
How to choose a cooler
The main factors to consider — aside from cost — are the size of the cooler and how long it can keep ice frozen.
Additional features to consider
- Wheels for easier maneuvering
- A drain plug that allows you to remove melted ice from the bottom without tipping it over
- Sturdy and easy to grip handles for lifting without straining
- Latches and lids that are durable enough for outdoor activities and don’t come undone if the cooler moves around or tips over
- A lifetime warranty or a warranty of more than one year
- Additional outer storage pouches
- Easy to clean surfaces
Tips for keeping your food and drinks cool
Keep these tips in mind to help make your cooler more efficient on your next trip:
- Chill the inside of your cooler for at least a few hours before you pack. This way, the cooler will already by the right temperature when you start loading your food and will stay colder longer.
- Use ice blocks instead of cubed ice. Ice blocks melt more slowly and help keep your cooler cold for longer.
- Freeze water in plastic bottles in advance. You can place them in the cooler to help keep things cold and drink the water when the ice melts.
- Pack the coldest, most frozen items on the bottom and fruit and vegetables on top. If you’re packing raw meat, wrap it well and place it beneath any fresh foods.
- Keep your cooler out of the sun and limit the time it will spend in hot environments like the trunk of your car.
- When your ice melts, don’t drain the water. The cold water will help to keep your food cool better than air would. If you have to drain the water, try to fill the empty space with more ice.
- Open the lid as little as possible. Every time you open the lid, you let out cold air.
- Limit the amount of air space in the cooler, since air is not very efficient at keeping food cool. Pack your items with as few air gaps as possible.
To help you choose the right cooler, think about what you’ll primarily be using it for. Then compare features like size, material and extras like wheels and easy-grip handles.
How did we choose these products?
To compile our list of the best coolers, we looked at overall features, price, size, hard or soft material and other factors. We also took into consideration online reviews and our own online research.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Best 3D printers in 2020
Whether you’re a student or an industry professional, we broke down the best 3D printers to suit your needs — from budget options to accessible features.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
Best time to visit Yellowstone National Park
Guide to Yellowstone, including cost and transportation options.
Best infrared thermometers
As businesses reopen following COVID-19-related shutdowns, choose the best non-contact infrared thermometer that fits your needs.
Where to buy meat online
Keep your fridge stocked with quality cuts from trusted brands.
Keep drinks ice-cold or piping hot whenever adventure calls. See what this iconic brand has to offer and how to land free shipping.
Best companies for Nile River cruises
Browse and book the best Egypt cruises sailing the Nile in 2020/2021.
Compare the best multiroom speakers
Your favorite tunes are never more than a tap away with the right multiroom speaker setup.
8 best cruises to Antarctica
Sail to the end of the world — and wave to a penguin along the way.
10 best cruises for young adults
18- to 30-somethings, rejoice! These voyages are for you.
Ask an Expert