Consumers Credit Union auto loans review
Find some of the most competitive auto loan rates at this credit union open to residents of all 50 states.
Consumers Credit Union offers flexible auto financing with competitive rates for vehicles from 2012 or newer. Your loan term will depend on the year of your vehicle.
Starting at 4.24%
|Product Name||Consumers Credit Union Auto Loans|
|APR||Starting at 4.24%|
|Interest Rate Type||Fixed|
|Requirements||Membership with Consumers Credit Union, residency, work, study or worship in lower Michigan or an immediate relative of a CCU member, at least 18 years old, legal US resident, be employed, plan to buy or refinance a car model that’s no older than 2007.|
First, do I qualify?
To qualify for an auto loan with Consumers Credit Union, you must meet standard eligibility:
- Membership with Consumers Credit Union.
- Legal US resident and at least 18 years old.
- Plan to buy or refinance a car model that’s no older than 2007.
What makes Consumers Credit Union auto loans unique?
Consumers Credit Union makes the process of getting an auto loans more personal than you’ll find with most other lenders. All borrowers are required to speak with a CCU rep to after applying to make sure it’s a good fit.
And rather than a minimum or maximum, your loan ultimately depends on the cost of your car.
What types of car loans does Consumers Credit Union offer?
Finance a new car or refinance an existing auto loan with CCU. The rates and terms you ultimately qualify for depend on the age of your car along with other factors. Loan terms range from Up to 15 years, with the lowest rates being offered for loans with shorter terms.
CCU can also finance boats, RVs and motorcycles. You can add mechanical repair coverage to your auto loan to protect you 24/7 if your vehicle breaks down.
What are the benefits of a CCU car loan?
- Accepts coapplicants. If you share your car with a loved one, apply together to share the cost. Or benefit from stronger credit and higher income to increase your chances of approval and low rates.
- Competitive rates. CCU’s rates are some of the most competitive car loan rates out there.
- Flexible financing. There’s no limit to how much you can borrow with this lender. It all depends on the cost of your car.
- No down payment on most loans. Unless your loan is worth 105% of your car’s value, you won’t need an upfront payment to get a competitive rate. You can get a loan with no down payment for larger amounts, though not necessarily at the lowest rates.
- Car-buying service. If you’re not sure where to start, go through CCU’s car buying service to find a dealer and a car that works for you.
- Available nationwide. Although CCU is an Illinois-based credit union, its auto loans are available to residents of any state.
What to watch out for
- Members only. Requiring membership is standard for any credit union, but it adds another step to the application process.
- Higher costs for older cars. Although this pricing is standard among auto lenders, CCU charges higher rates for cars older than 2012. That year cutoff may seem short for some borrowers.
Compare more car loan providers
How do I apply?
You don’t need to be a CCU member to start an application, but must join the credit union during the process of getting your loan. To join, you’ll open a savings account with a $25 sharehold that you get back after you’ve paid off your loan.
Requirements to join the credit union include:
- You must be a legal US resident.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
Consumers Credit Union doesn’t advertise many hard credit requirements for its auto loans. It looks at factors like your career history, how long you’ve been at your current job and your credit rating when considering your application.
Your likelihood of approval is higher with a credit score of at least 500 and steady employment.
Steps to apply
Apply for an auto loan through your dealership or directly with the credit union. If the dealership you have in mind isn’t already a CCU partner, go through AutoSmart, an auto-buying service designed to help you find a vehicle and loan that’s right for you.
Apply online at Consumers Credit Union’s website:
- Click or hover over Loans in the main navigation bar and select Autos | RVs | Boats.
- Click Apply Now.
- Complete the short form, and click Create New Application.
- Follow the directions to complete and submit your application. If you aren’t a member, you’ll sign up while applying.
- Wait for a CCU rep to reach out to you with a preliminary idea of your rates and terms. At this point, they might ask to set up a meeting to make sure you’re a good fit, providing you with a list of documents to submit.
- Review and sign your loan documents.
- Wait for Consumers Credit Union to disburse your funds. For dealership payments, you’ll typically receive a cashier’s check.
Approval for a CCU auto loan can take from 24 to 48 hours.
What documents do I need to apply?
Consumers Credit Union doesn’t advertise a list of required documentation for auto loans, though expect to provide government-issued ID and a copy of your most recent pay stub.
I got the loan from Consumers Credit Union. Now what?
- Start your repayments. If you have a credit score of 670 or higher and need extra time to get your finances together before you start repaying your loan, you can request to defer your car payments by 90 days. Otherwise, you’ll start repayments by the date indicated on your contract.
- Sign up for autopay. You won’t have to worry about taking time out of your day to manually pay your loan each month.
- Get support. Reach out to customer service at 800-991-2221 if you have any questions or find yourself unable to repay your loan.
Consumers Credit Union’s car loans come with some of the most competitive rates in the market. There are no fixed limits on your loan amount, and you’ll face fewer restrictions than you might with other lenders.
To learn more about how car loans work and to compare lenders, read our comprehensive guide to auto loans.