Some of the providers we compare
Get multiple quotes in under 2 minutes
How it works
- 1. Fill out a short formFill in your ZIP code above and hit See rates to let us find the best rates in your area.
- 2. Compare ratesGet quotes from multiple providers and pick the policy you like best.
- 3. Enjoy your savingsGet insured and sleep well knowing you saved up to 52% off your premium.
Or get a quote directly from one of these providers
How much does car insurance cost?
The average cost of car insurance is $1,065 per year, or $89 a month, but rates vary based on your car, driving record, demographics and other factors. The biggest factors that affect your rate include:
- Your car. Your car’s make, year and model are the biggest factors in your insurance rates. Its current value and whether you own it will also affect your coverage costs and how much coverage you need.
- Your location. Where you live and drive is the second biggest factor for rates. Each state sets minimum insurance requirements, and even rates in different ZIP codes in the same city can vary by hundreds of dollars. Living in a high-claims area can drive your rates up, like a big city or an area with a high rate of uninsured drivers.
- You. Your demographics affect your rates more than you might think. Your rates are based on your age, gender, marital status, credit score and other factors that have nothing to do with your driving. Insurance companies use these factors to predict your risk level and set your rates.
Car insurance rates across the US can vary a lot based on where you live. The national average is $1,300 per year, but drivers in Maine pay only about $864, while drivers in Michigan see premiums averaging $2,394. Shopping for car insurance starts with finding your state minimum required coverage and then adding extra coverage you’d like.
Ask an Expert