Get short-term coverage to drive your new big rig off the lot.
While you’ll eventually need long-term coverage for your truck, a temporary policy can let you drive it off the lot or to the mechanic legally.
Compare temporary truck insurance
What is temporary truck insurance?
Temporary truck insurance can provide liability coverage, which is legally required to be on the roads in most states, as well as collision and comprehensive coverage to protect your truck. Policies can last anywhere from 24 hours to 30 days.
Short-term policies are used most often by customers who have recently bought a new truck and need to bring it home. A short-term policy lets you legally drive the truck while you spend time comparing long-term insurance policies to find the best deal.
Short-term policies can also be used to bring an out-of-commission truck to a mechanic or to insure a truck before you fix it up so that you’ll be able to get a long-term policy for its full value when you’re finished.
What are the benefits of short-term truck insurance?
Temporary insurance can offer:
- Immediate coverage. You can get coverage online almost immediately so you can drive your truck off the lot legally.
- Save money. A temporary policy gives you more time to compare long-term insurance policies so that you can collect quotes from several companies and get the best deal.
- Flexible policy terms. You can choose how long you need coverage for, and if you change your mind you can extend your coverage or take out another temporary policy.
- Full coverage. You can choose to get just liability insurance or you can add on additional coverage so your truck is fully protected.
How much does short-term insurance cost?
The cost of temporary truck insurance depends on a number of factors relating to you, your age, location and driving experience as well as the truck’s make, model, age and size.
Like regular car insurance, you may be eligible for discounts if you’re a safe driver and it’s been at least several years since you filed a claim.
Pros and cons of temporary truck insurance
- Lets you legally drive your truck almost immediately
- Gives you more time to find a permanent policy
- Flexible term length options
If you’ve just bought a new big rig and want to drive it off the lot, or if you need to bring your truck in for work and it’s currently uninsured, temporary truck insurance can help. And when you’re ready for a longer policy, compare vehicle insurers to find one that’s the right fit for you.
Questions about temporary truck insurance
Image source: Getty Images