Colonial Life insurance review 2021
Get group coverage through your employer — and take it with you if you change jobs.
finder.com's rating: 2.5 / 5
- Get a quote if… your employer offers Colonial Life benefits.
- Pick something else if… you want to sign up for coverage on your own.
18 to 70
Not listed to Not listed
Medical Exam Required
|Policies||Term, Whole Life|
|Coverage maximum||Not listed|
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20 or 30-year option|
|Medical exam required||No|
|Available states||Not listed|
|Issue age||Not listed|
- Portable policies
- No medical exam options
- Ability to choose your coverage amount
- Financial strength
- Exclusively offered through the workplace
- No online quotes
No riders available
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Colonial Life offers portable life insurance plans through the workplace — which means you can access subsidizes premiums and take your coverage with you if you switch jobs. And if you want to avoid answering questions about your health and family medical history, you may be able to purchase a guaranteed issue policy.
But if you’re looking for an individual policy that can be customized with riders, compare life insurance companies.
How do I sign up for Colonial Life insurance?
If your employer offers policies as part of your benefits, you’ll be able to apply for coverage. Your HR team will guide you through the process.
What types of life insurance coverage does Colonial Life offer?
Colonial Life offers two types of policies:
- Term life. Colonial Life’s least expensive life insurance option, this policy is available in 10-, 15-, 20- or 30-year term lengths. The premiums stay the same for the life of the policy, and your beneficiaries will get a guaranteed death benefit if you die during the term.
- Whole life. This permanent policy offers lifelong coverage and builds cash value at a fixed rate set by the insurer. You can choose between two payment plans: paid-up at age 70 or age 100.
Can I add riders to my policy?
No. But that’s not unusual — and your policy may include riders chosen by your employer.
Colonial Life insurance reviews and complaints
Colonial Life isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), it has an A+ rating for its customer interaction. The BBB hasn’t recorded any reviews or complaints to date, and the insurer doesn’t have a presence on TrustPilot, either.
|AM Best financial rating||
|Customer reviews verified as of||19 January 2021|
I’m in HR. What type of insurance can I give my employees with Colonial Life?
Colonial Life offers a range of insurance products that allow you to provide your employees with a complete benefits package, including:
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Accident insurance
- Hospital indemnity insurance
- Critical illness insurance
- Cancer insurance
- Dental and vision insurance
Compare alternatives to Colonial Life
Frequently asked questions about Colonial Life
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.