Clearcover car insurance review 2021
Minimize your rates with no-frills coverage, but only if you like managing your policy online.
finder.com's rating: 3 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re a tech-savvy customer with basic coverage needs.
- Pick something else if you want to bundle or don’t live in the company’s service area.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, California, Illinois, Louisiana, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||6 months, Monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
- Online company
- Lower-than-average rates
- Quick, easy claims
- Rideshare coverage
- No physical offices
- No gap coverage
- Available in limited states
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Clearcover is a new company with a minimalist approach to coverage and online-based customer service. Its best feature is how much it saves customers on premiums, with many reporting that they save hundreds of dollars per year.
However, the company’s tech-based model works best if you like managing your policy and claims through an app. And while reviews praise Clearcover’s cheap rates and easy-to-use app, the company needs more time to prove its dependability with claims.
Go for Clearcover if you have simple insurance needs and don’t mind keeping most communication online.
How to get free quotes for Clearcover car insurance
Get going with Clearcover on its website to see its online service in action, or you can call for personalized help.
- Start a quote online by going to the homepage and clicking Get a quote. Or simply call 855-243-2221 to speak with a customer advocate.
- Fill in your personal information, named drivers and vehicle details.
- Choose coverage and receive your quote.
- Fill in payment information and finalize your new policy.
What info do I need to apply?
Speed through your Clearcover quote with several pieces of information:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Driving record
- Policy needs
- Bank account or credit card information
What discounts can I get with Clearcover?
According to the website, discounts you may get, such as safety features, are built into your rate automatically. Clearcover claims that because it offers online-based insurance, it doesn’t cost as much to operate. Clearcover can then transfer those savings to its customers through lower rates.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Clearcover offer?
Despite mostly standard coverage, Clearcover does offer a few options to add more protection to your policy, including rideshare coverage that most new companies don’t offer.
- Roadside assistance. Pay for roadside service expenses like towing or assistance when you experience a breakdown, battery failure, lockout or simply run out of gas.
- Alternate transportation. Get $30 per day in cash to use on your choice of transportation while your car is in the shop. You can even choose a rideshare service or public transportation. This is just like rental car coverage but extends to any type of transportation you choose.
- Ridesharing. This extends all coverage from your personal policy to your ridesharing work from the time you turn on the app until you pick up a passenger.
- Mobile app. Clearcover boasts innovative technology like its app, using AI to help you get the coverage you need.
Clearcover car insurance reviews and complaints
This new startup doesn’t have a long history of reviews, but current customers leave positive reviews overall. Clearcover holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and around 40 customers have scored the company an average 4 out of 5 stars. Customers have filed only eight BBB complaints in the past three years, as of April 2021.
In addition, Trustpilot gives Clearcover 4 out of 5 stars averaged from over 200 customer reviews. As a caveat, Clearcover asks its customers to leave Trustpilot ratings about their experience. Many drivers report saving anywhere from $300 to $1,000 a year on their premium.
However, a handful of reviewers report Clearcover has a lengthy claims process, despite the company’s announcement that the average claim takes minutes or hours to complete. Other customers report problems with the auto-renew feature on their policy. Keep in mind that many people who write reviews have an exceptionally good or bad experience, and most companies see a mix of both.
Our star ratings for Clearcover, explained
Our car insurance experts rate Clearcover about average because it offers standard coverage with a few helpful add-ons like ridesharing coverage, though its options aren’t as comprehensive as our highest-rated companies. Clearcover also ranked average for pricing because it doesn’t offer many discounts to help customers save. Yet it does have a strong online experience and customer ratings.
Compare alternatives to Clearcover
More alternatives to Clearcover
What car insurance coverage does Clearcover offer?
Clearcover goes with a minimalist approach across the company, including its coverage options. But the basics are all protected.
- Property damage liability. Cover damage you inflict to another person’s vehicle or property.
- Bodily injury liability. Help those involved in an at-fault accident with medical bills.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. Protect you and your ride from drivers without enough insurance to cover you after an accident.
- Medical payments. Pay for medical injuries for you and your passengers. This coverage also protects you from injuries incurred by another driver while you’re walking or biking.
- Collision. Repair or replace your vehicle after an accident with another car or a single car accident like a rollover or guardrail collision.
- Comprehensive. Protect your car from out-of-the-ordinary accidents, such as theft, vandalism, weather damage or falling objects.
Pros and cons of Clearcover car insurance
- Tech-savvy. Clearcover uses artificial intelligence to personalize your insurance policy. It also has an app for policy management and claims.
- Potential savings. Due to its minimal business model, the company states that it transfers savings to its customers.
- Minimizes overhead. Clearcover spends on its business where it’s most needed rather than on wasteful advertising or even traditional offices.
- Quick, easy claims. The company speeds up claims through its mobile app. You can often receive a damage estimate within a few minutes or hours when uploading app photos, and you could get your claim paid out within 30 minutes.
- Rideshare coverage. Clearcover stays current with rideshare insurance needs.
- Mostly online experience. Though Clearcover does partner with some local agents, most customers do all account management and claims either online or by phone.
- Limited service area. Clearcover only serves Arizona, California, Illinois, Louisiana, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and Wisconsin, but it does continue to expand quickly to other states.
- No bundling. It’s car insurance only for Clearcover customers for now.
How to make a claim with Clearcover
Although Clearcover is based online, you can choose to file through the app, by email or a phone call. Clearcover claims to be able to process claims and get you paid within minutes or hours.
- App. To file a claim online, click Claims and fill in accident details. A representative will contact you for more details within 24 hours.
- Email. Send your account of accident events, damage description and any photos to email@example.com
- Phone. Get in touch with a Customer Advocate at 855-444-1875 Monday through Friday, 9 am to 9 pm CT.
Frequently asked questions about Clearcover car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.