Clearcover car insurance review
Minimize your rates with basic coverage from a new, tech-based company.
finder.com’s rating: 3 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you’re a tech-savvy customer with basic coverage needs.
- Pick something else if you prefer an independent agent.
- Many drivers can apply here.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, California, Illinois, Louisiana, Ohio, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
|New car protection||No|
- Online company
- Lower-than-average rates
- Quick, easy claims
- Rideshare coverage
- No independent agents
- No physical offices
- Available in 5 states
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Clearcover is a new, online-based company with a minimalist approach to coverage and business expenditure, which means more savings for its customers. However, the company’s tech-based model only works for some people, and it may need more time to prove its dependability as an insurer. Go for Clearcover if you have simple insurance needs and don’t mind keeping most communication online.
What car insurance coverage does Clearcover offer?
Clearcover goes with a minimalist approach across the company, but the basics are all protected. Those include:
- Property damage liability. Cover damage you inflict to another person’s vehicle or property.
- Bodily injury liability. Help those involved in an at-fault accident with medical bills.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Protect you and your ride from drivers without enough insurance to cover you after an accident.
- Medical payments. Pay for medical injuries for you and your passengers. This coverage also protects you from injuries incurred by another driver while you’re walking or biking.
- Collision. Repair or replace your vehicle after an accident with another car or a single car accident like a rollover or guardrail collision.
- Comprehensive. Protect your car from out-of-the-ordinary accidents, such as theft, vandalism, weather damage or falling objects.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Clearcover offer?
The company’s main benefit is a no-fuss approach to insurance that transfers savings to its customers. The approach involves using technology to get your policy started and minimizing overhead expenses like advertising.
It also includes several helpful add-ons, such as:
- Roadside assistance. Pay for roadside service expenses like towing or assistance when you experience a breakdown, battery failure, lockout or simply run out of gas.
- Alternate transportation. Get $30 per day in cash to use on your choice of transportation while your car is in the shop. You can even choose a rideshare service or public transportation. This is just like rental car coverage but extends to any type of transportation you choose.
- Ridesharing endorsement. This extends all coverage from your personal policy to your ridesharing work from the time you turn on the app until you pick up a passenger.
- Mobile app. Clearcover boasts innovative technology like its app, using AI to help you get the coverage you need.
What discounts can I get with Clearcover?
According to the website, discounts you may get, such as safety features, are built into your rate automatically. Clearcover claims that because it offers online-based insurance, it doesn’t cost as much to operate. Clearcover can then transfer those savings to its customers through lower rates.
Pros and cons of Clearcover car insurance
- Tech-savvy. Clearcover uses artificial intelligence to personalize your insurance policy. It also has an app for policy management and claims.
- Potential savings. Due to its minimal business model, the company states that it transfers savings to its customers.
- Minimizes overhead. Clearcover spends on its business where it’s most needed rather than on wasteful advertising or even traditional offices.
- Quick, easy claims. The company speeds up claims through its mobile app. You can often receive a damage estimate within a few hours when uploading app photos.
- Rideshare coverage. Clearcover stays current with rideshare insurance needs.
- No local agents. In keeping with a minimalist model, the company doesn’t pay local agents to provide in-person service.
- Online only. You’ll do all your account management and claims either online or by phone.
- Limited service area. Clearcover only serves Arizona, California, Illinois, Ohio and Utah but is planning to expand quickly to other states.
- No bundling. It’s car insurance only for Clearcover customers for now.
How to apply for Clearcover car insurance
Get going with Clearcover insurance by getting a quote online or by phone:
- Start a quote online by going to the homepage and clicking Get a quote. Or simply call 855-243-2221 to speak with a customer advocate.
- Fill in your personal information, named drivers and vehicle details.
- Choose coverage and receive your quote.
- Fill in payment information and finalize your new policy.
What info do I need to apply?
Speed through your Clearcover quote with several pieces of information:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Driving record
- Policy needs
- Bank account or credit card information
What do customers say about Clearcover?
This new startup doesn’t have a long history of reviews, but current customer reviews tend to be positive. The biggest perk of switching to Clearcover that customers mention is the savings on their annual premium. Many drivers report saving anywhere from $300 to $1,000 a year.
A handful of reviewers report Clearcover has a lengthy claims process, with claims taking weeks to be resolved. Keep in mind this is a typical complaint of nearly every insurer, and many people who write reviews had an exceptionally good or bad experience.
How to make a claim with Clearcover
Although Clearcover is based online, you can choose to file through the app, by email or a phone call:
- App. To file a claim online, click Claims and fill in accident details. A representative will contact you for more details within 24 hours.
- Email. Send your account of accident events, damage description and any photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone. Get in touch with a Customer Advocate at 855-444-1875 Monday through Friday, 9 am to 9 pm CT.
Alternatives to Clearcover
Frequently asked questions about Clearcover car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.