CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® review
A decent business credit card for the frequent American Airlines flyer.
- Get this card if you often fly American Airlines.
- Pick something else if you want a general travel rewards card.
- Apply with an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 2x
for the first year ($99 thereafter)
15.99% to 24.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($99 thereafter)|
|Welcome offer||65,000 miles after spending $4,000 in first 4 months|
|Rewards||2x miles on American Airlines, gas stations and select business categories and 1x miles on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||15.99% to 24.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® is designed to give advantages and perks to frequent American Airlines flyers.
You’ll find the card’s introductory bonus relatively easy to obtain, and the miles you earn from it are enough for up to three flights in the continental US. Furthermore, you earn miles not just on specific purchases and American Airlines flights — but you earn miles on partner airlines, car rentals and hotel stays as well. And the great thing is, you can redeem your miles for all of the American Airlines partners’ services.
How to apply for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
To apply, you need to be at least 18 years old and an authorized officer of the business entity that you apply for. Apply with an excellent credit score of 670 or higher to increase your chances of approval.
- Click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with info like your business name, address, contact business details and financial information, name, date of birth, Social Security number, personal contact information and financial information.
- Review your application and submit it.
Citi won’t approve your application if you already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® account. Also, you won’t get bonus miles or other special offers if you have opened any CitiBusiness© / AAdvantage© account in the past 24 months.
How long will it take to get my CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®?
In general, you should get a decision within a minute of applying. In some cases when more information is needed, it may take up to 10 business days.
Once you’re approved, you’ll get your card in the mail within seven to 10 business days.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® benefits
- Signup bonus. Get 65,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 4 months of card membership.
- Earn miles. For every dollar spent on American Airlines purchases — and on telecommunications, cable and satellite providers, car rentals and at gas stations — you earn 2x miles. For all other purchases, you earn 1x miles. Read our guide to learn more about how to earn AAdvantage® miles. Redeem miles for flights, hotels stays, car rentals, gift cards and more. Learn more about how to redeem AAdvantage® miles here.
- Reduced Mileage Awards℠. Get up to a 7,500-mile discount when you redeem miles on round-trip flights.
- No foreign transaction fee. Use your card freely when you travel abroad and you won’t pay any fees. Other cards have up to a 3% fee for each foreign transaction you make.
- First checked bag free. Save $25 on the first checked bag on domestic flights for up to four passengers traveling on your reservation. That’s a savings of up to $600 annually if you make a round trip once a month.
- Savings on in-flight Wi-Fi. You get 25% savings on in-flight Wi-Fi on American Airlines flights when you use your card to pay.
- Companion certificate. After you spend $30,000 or more in a calendar year, get a companion certificate for domestic main-cabin travel. Fees of $99 for ticketing plus government taxes and fees of up to $43.20 aren’t covered with the certificate.
- Personal Business Assistant. Contact for 24/7 help arranging your business’s travel, hotel and dining needs.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® drawbacks
- Annual fee. To own the card, you’ll pay $99 annually, starting from the second year. For the first year, the annual fee is waived.
- No balance transfer option. If you’re looking to make balance transfers, look elsewhere, as this card doesn’t allow balance transfers.
- Penalty APR. If you make a late or returned payment, Citi may impose a penalty APR of up to 29.99%, and it may last indefinitely.
Compare other business credit cards
If this card isn’t right for you, compare other business cards out there. Find a product that best fits your business’s financial needs.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What size business is the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® good for?
Small business owners who often travel with American Airlines, and who spend around $30,000 per year with this card, could find the perks and features of the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® useful. Once you reach the $30,000 mark in a calendar year, you’ll a get companion ticket.
Suppose you spend $30,000 annually, where $15,000 are spent on 2x miles purchases — that’s 45,000 miles. You can redeem your miles for two main-cabin flights in the continental US or for one business class flight.
Furthermore, if you make four flights per year, you’ll offset the card’s annual fee with the first checked bag free perk.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® reviews and complaints
Even though Citi has been in business for more than 200 years, it was never accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). As of October 2020, more than 200 customer complaints on the BBB site give the bank a score of 1 out of 5. Because Citi failed to resolve customer complaints on the site, BBB has rated the bank with the lowest F rating. This rating, however, is not a guarantee of a business’ reliability or performance.
Citi is rated slightly higher at 1.8 out of 5 on Trustpilot where customers mostly complain about poor customer service.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Citi Mobile® app. And use it to monitor your account, make payments and transfers, activate new credit cards, lock and unlock your card in case of theft or loss and more.
- Download the American Airlines mobile app. With it, you get a mobile boarding pass, flight updates, AAdvantage® account details, seat selection, the ability to upgrade your seat and more.
- Avoid interest. Your due date is 23 days after the close of each billing cycle. Try to pay on time. Otherwise, you’ll pay interest and Citi may impose a penalty APR.
- Customer service. For any information, call Citi business customer support service at 866-422-3091.
This can be a great business card for the frequent American Airlines flyer. Aside from earning miles, you get a generous signup bonus, free checked bags, priority boarding and other cool features. And you can redeem your miles for flights on partner airlines, hotel stays, car rentals and more.