Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Citi virtual credit card: How does it work?
A great way to boost your credit card security.
Virtual credit cards are a separate set numbers you can create to use for online shopping. This is a useful feature if you don’t want to reveal your actual credit card information to vendors or if you fear a subscription may be hard to cancel.
Does Citi have a virtual credit card?
Yes, Citi is one of the rare credit card providers that offer virtual credit card numbers, for eligible cards. Unfortunately, Citi doesn’t list which cards are eligible.
Some users report that the only cards that aren’t eligible are its personal and business Costco cards, and the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® and the Citi Simplicity® Card.
But this could change, however.
Compare Citi credit cards with a virtual credit card option
Since Citi doesn’t specify which cards are eligible for virtual card numbers, check a card’s benefits before applying to see if you’ll find the feature.
How to use a Citi virtual credit card
If your credit card is eligible to get Citi virtual credit card numbers, you’ll need an online Citi account to enroll. Here’s how it works:
- Visit cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/Virtual-Account-Numbers
- Click Enroll In / Get.
- Sign in to your online account.
- Choose either web-based access to your credit card virtual numbers or download the PC version.
- Select the credit card you want to use.
- Click Generate.
This features also allows you to add spending limits and expiration dates.
Benefits of a Citi virtual credit card
The main benefits of a Citi virtual credit card are:
- Secure online shopping. You can use your virtual card at unfamiliar vendors. And if there’s a data breach, deactivate your virtual card without affecting your real credit card. This is an excellent way to keep your credit card secure.
- Set spending limits. A cap on spending protects you from hackers spending too much on your card.
- Set expiration dates. Limit the length of time your virtual credit card is active with an expiration date.
What to watch out for
Using the Citi virtual card has its benefits, but there are some drawbacks to consider.
- Limited use. Virtual cards are meant to be used online or by phone.
- Not for all online purchases.
- It could feel like a hassle. If you’re not tech-savvy, creating and managing virtual cards online or on your computer could feel overwhelming.
- Subscriptions may suffer. If you’ve set up recurring payments with a virtual card, if it expires or you reach the limit, you could miss a payment.
- Returns. If you want to return an item, it may be hard to get your money back if your virtual card has expired.
When shouldn’t I use my virtual credit card?
Don’t use your virtual card for items like tickets that require you to show your credit card to pick them up.
Citi is one of the few credit card providers that offers virtual credit card numbers. If your card is eligible, you can create virtual cards, set dollar limits and expiration dates and increase your card’s security for online purchases.
But if you don’t find the Citi credit cards appealing, look for other virtual-number cards until you find the right product.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert