Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card review
Build credit while taking advantage of a unique rewards feature.
- Get this card if you’re a student and want to earn rewards.
- Pick something else if you want an intro APR period on balance transfers.
- Apply with limited or no credit history.
Discontinued productThis card has been discontinued, and it is not available on our site. Compare other credit cards or take Finder's credit card quiz to find one that fits your needs. The information about Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card has been collected independently by Finder and and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer.Please note: Citi is an advertising partner of finder.com
- Signup bonus. Earn 2,500 ThankYou points after you spend $500 within 3 months of your account opening.
- ThankYou points. Earn 2x points for your first $6,000 in purchases at supermarkets and gas stations each year. After that, and for everything else you buy, you get 1x points.
- Round-up points. Small transactions can earn you more points with the Citi Round Up feature. Every purchase is rounded up to the nearest 10 points — so $2 will earn you 10 points instead of two points.
You’ll also like
- No annual fee. Earn unlimited ThankYou points without paying an annual fee.
- Intro APR on purchases. Get a 0% intro APR period on purchases for your first 7 months of card membership. Once the intro period passes, your APR reverts to variable 14.49% to 24.49%.
- Points back. For the first 100,000 points you redeem in a year, get 10% back.
- Citi benefits.
—Access to presale tickets and VIP packages with Citi Entertainment℠.
—Hard-to-counterfeit EMV chip card.
—Assistance when traveling, making dining arrangements or purchasing event tickets with Citi concierge.
—Add your credit card to your digital wallet and simplify your purchases.
What to watch out for
- Signup bonus eligibility. If you’ve owned another ThankYou rewards credit card in the past 24 months or currently own one and you earned a signup bonus, you won’t be eligible for the Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card signup bonus.
- No intro APR period on balance transfers. The card only offers an intro APR period on purchases, but not on balance transfers.
- Penalty APR. You can end up with a penalty APR of up to 29.99% variable if you make one late or returned payment. Make sure to avoid this, or you could be stuck with the penalty APR indefinitely.
- Foreign transaction fee. This may not be a good card for traveling abroad, as you’ll pay a fee up to 3% of each transaction you make.
Compare student credit cards
Compare Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card with other cards
If you’re a student looking to earn rewards at restaurants, gas stations and on small transactions, you could find the Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card to be a great choice. You get to earn accelerated points on these purchases and you get points back when you redeem for rewards. You could also save money with a purchase intro APR and Citi card benefits.
But if you think another credit card could work better for you, compare other student card options.
Frequently asked questions
- What rewards can I get with my points?
- Gift cards
- Car rentals
- Tickets to events
- Purchases at Amazon.com and BestBuy.com
- Do I need minimum points to redeem a reward?
No, you can redeem any amount of points.
- Do ThankYou points expire?
No, your points won’t expire if your account is open and in good standing.
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card could be ideal if you’re a student who wants to earn rewards at gas stations and restaurants. With its round up feature, your spending goes even further with small purchases.
A small signup bonus with a fairly low spending requirement and an intro APR on purchases make for a solid student rewards card.