Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Citi Rewards+℠ Card vs Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
It's David vs. Goliath in this rewards card showdown.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers an astounding 6% back at supermarkets on up to $6,000 a year and 1% back after that, 6% back on select streaming services, 3% back on transit and gas stations, and 1% on all other purchases. In comparison, the Citi Rewards+℠ Card offers 2x points back on supermarkets and gas stations on up to $6,000 in purchases, then 1x points back after that and on all other purchases.
Which card should you choose?
Citi Rewards+℠ Card
- Reward points. Earn 2x points at supermarkets and gas stations on up to $6,000 in combined purchases each year. Once you reach the cap and on all other purchases, you earn 1x points.
- Round up points. A rewards rate of 2x and 1x points may not seem like its worth earning a spot as one of the best rewards credit cards. But with the rounding up feature, your rewards rate is actually higher. Say you buy a $2 coffee. Your reward points will round up at 10x points, thus earning a 5% reward.
- Bonus points. The card comes with 15,000 bonus points once you spend $1,000 in your first 3 months when you open your credit card account. Also, you get additional 10% bonus points for the first 100,000 points you redeem annually.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Earn cash back. Earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year. After that, you'll earn 1% back. You'll also earn 6% on select US streaming services and 3% on transit purchases. At US gas stations you'll earn 3% back. For everything else you buy, you'll get 1% back.
- Welcome offer. Get $250 in statement credit after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first three months of card membership.
- Intro APR period. Enjoy a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases for the first 12 months of account opening. After that, a variable APR of 12.99% to 23.99% applies.
Compare credit cards
Ask an Expert