Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Citibank rewards programs
Use your card on the purchases that'll earn you the most rewards.
There are five types of rewards credit cards from Citibank, a finder.com advertising partner. They offer perks such as cash back, round-trip flights and statement credits toward Costco purchases. Finding the right program to match your lifestyle will help you rack up points and earn the rewards you want.
How does a Citi rewards program work?
As you purchase items with your credit card, you accumulate points that can later be exchanged for rewards such as flights, gift cards and cash. If you have multiple Citibank rewards credit cards, remember to use them on the purchases where they earn the most rewards.
What are the types of Citi rewards programs?
- Citi ThankYou rewards This program lets you earn points on everyday spending and is redeemable for a large catalog of rewards, from travel rewards and gift cards to cash and mortgage payments. With five ThankYou card options, you’re likely to find a fit here.
- American Airlines AAdvantage This program earns you AAdvantage miles, which can be redeemed on travel with American Airlines or American Eagle, as well as at over 10,000 hotels and car rental companies in 320 locations. There are four American Airlines AAdvantage cards to choose from.
- Citi cash back program This program gives you cash back on all purchases. Get the most out of your experience by picking one of the three available cash back cards that best fits your shopping habits. But keep in mind, you can only redeem the Costco cards’ cash back at Costco locations.
- Other rewards credit cards Citibank used to offer more rewards credit cards, but now you can only get the Expedia card. With this card, you can earn Expedia Rewards points, which you can redeem toward travel rewards.
How to compare rewards programs
While it may seem like all Citibank rewards cards offer the same benefits, there are other important factors to consider before making your decision. Try focusing on the following points:
- Interest rates. Double-check that you’re able to manage the interest rates if you fail to pay your balance in full. Rewards cards won’t be much fun if you nullify them with interest payments.
- How points are earned. Take a look at what types of purchases can earn you points and assess whether or not they match your lifestyle.
- What’s the annual fee? If you’re not spending or earning points, ask yourself if the annual fee is worth it. You don’t want fees to overshadow rewards.
Pros and Cons of the Citi rewards programs
As with any program, there are benefits and drawbacks to the Citi rewards programs. Keep in mind, however, that they largely depend on the card you choose.
- No points cap with most Citibank rewards cards. Without a limit or expiration date on points, you’ve got greater earning potential and can save longer.
- Redeem points for gift cards. You can do this at a wide range of stores such as Starbucks, Banana Republic and Bed Bath & Beyond.
- Access to premium perks. The ultimate Citi rewards credit cards come with premium perks such as priority boarding, Admiral’s Club membership, complimentary hotel stays and travel credit.
- High APR and annual fee. Rewards cards often come with high APRs. And if you want the premium perks, expect to pay a premium annual fee.
Compare Citibank® credit cards
To get the best value out of a Citi reward credit card, choose a card that fits your lifestyle and budget. Some cards reward big spenders, while others are more suited for everyday shopping.
Before applying for a card, compare all credit card options until you find an offer that matches your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert