Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Citi extended warranty: How does it work?
Get warranties extended by up to two years.
If you want extra protection for your purchases, an extended-warranty policy through your credit card can be highly useful. Citi, a finder.com advertising partner, happens to have a top-notch benefit that doubles what you’ll find with most other providers.
Does Citi have extended warranties?
Though Citi removed most of its purchase and travel benefits from its cards, around half a dozen Citi cards still offer extended warranties.
If your card has extended warranties, you can get up to 24 months of protection on eligible purchases — a stellar deal that adds to the manufacturer’s policy. For example, your Citi card gives you a total warranty of up to three years if the original warranty is one year.
Does the Citi® Double Cash Card offer extended warranties?
The Citi® Double Cash Card no longer offers an extended-warranty benefit. Citi removed the feature on September 22, 2019 as it eliminated purchase and travel benefits from most of its products.
How to use Citi extended warranties
Here’s how to activate and claim a Citi extended warranty:
- Charge at least a portion of the item’s cost to your Citi credit card, or use ThankYou Points.
- If your item must be repaired or replaced, call the Citi benefit administrator at the number listed in your card’s guide to benefits. A representative will tell you the next steps and information needed to submit your claim.
- Return required information within 180 days of the incident. The benefit administrator will assess your claim and contact you with its decision.
For the Citi Prestige® Credit Card, call 866-506-5222 to reach the benefit administrator. For most other cards with the extended warranty benefit, call 866-918-4670.
Citi extended warranty policy
Here are a few things to keep in mind when using Citi extended warranties:
- Including your Citi policy, your extended warranty can be a maximum of seven years. For example, if the manufacturer’s warranty is six years, Citi will add maximum coverage of one additional year.
- The benefit won’t apply unless you use your Citi credit card or ThankYou Points for at least a portion of the purchase.
- Citi’s coverage starts when the manufacturer’s warranty expires.
- If the Citi benefit administrator accepts your claim, it’ll repair or replace the item. Alternatively, it might reimburse you.
How much do Citi extended warranties cover me for?
Maximum coverage per item is the lesser of:
- The cost of the item’s replacement or repair.
- The item’s purchase price.
- The price you charged to your Citi card or ThankYou Points.
Pay special attention to that last rule. While charging a small fraction of a purchase to your Citi payment option makes you eligible for an extended warranty, it could mean you won’t get sufficient reimbursement later on.
What’s eligible for Citi extended warranties?
If you make a purchase with your Citi card or ThankYou points, it’s eligible for an extended warranty.
What’s not eligible for Citi extended warranties?
Certain items that would pair nicely with extended warranties but aren’t eligible for the benefit. These include:
- Motorized vehicles and their original equipment, including cars, boats and aircraft.
- Services such as repairs or product installation. The exception is if they’re covered by manufacturer warranties.
- Used, pre-owned or antique items.
- Items you buy for resale, or for commercial or professional use.
- Land, buildings or housing properties.
- Plants and live animals.
- Items without manufacturer warranties.
When do extended warranties not apply?
While Citi offers superb extended warranties, there are certain instances when the benefit will not apply, including:
- You don’t care for the item as recommended by the manufacturer.
- If the item has a defect, or if it’s simply damaged from wear and tear.
- If the item is damaged by natural causes, such as floods, lightning or hurricanes.
Compare Citi credit cards with extended warranties
Who gets to use Citi extended warranties?
You can use Citi extended warranties if:
- You have a Citibank card issued in the United States.
- You’re a resident of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands or the US Virgin Islands.
Citi offers excellent, two-year extended warranties with a few of its top cards. Charge at least a portion of the purchase to your Citi card or ThankYou Points, and remember that your coverage is limited by the amount charged.
Compare Citi cards with extended warranties to find the one that best suits you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Going green: 6 ways you’re contributing to climate change
And easy peasy alternatives to curb your environmental impact.
How do CVS rewards work?
Learn how to get up to 10% in rewards with the loyalty program at CVS.
How do Best Buy rewards work?
Earn up to 2.5% back in rewards and get free shipping.
How do Staples rewards work?
Get up to 5% back in rewards cash and free shipping.
Compare garage door installation services
Plus, 6 questions to ask to find the right professional for the job.
What is hyaluronic acid and how to add it to your skincare routine
Your guide to hyaluronic acid, including benefits and top products.
Guide to Chase Mastercard credit cards
There are three Chase Mastercard credit cards, but all three are excellent options for frequent travelers.
Mastercard extended warranty: Do I get this perk?
It doesn’t come standard, but specific Mastercard products have an extended warranty benefit.
How to finance water storage tanks
Options for everything from small tanks that fit under your sink to complicated underground installations.
What is trip cancellation insurance and how do I get it?
A safety net for interrupted or canceled trips.
Ask an Expert