Citi® Double Cash Card review
A no-annual-fee credit card with a high cashback rate on all purchases.
finder.com’s rating: 3.8 / 5.0
- Get this card if you want cashback rewards on all purchases.
- Pick something else if you want more cash back in specific categories.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 2%
15.49% to 25.49%
Purchase APR (variable)
Intro Balance Transfer
for the first 18 months (then 15.49% to 25.49% variable)
|Product Name||Citi® Double Cash Card|
|Purchase APR||15.49% to 25.49% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 18 months (then 15.49% to 25.49% variable)|
|Balance transfer fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash advance rate||26.74% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Penalty APR||Up to 29.99% variable|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 23 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $40|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $40|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
This card from Citi — a finder.com advertising partner — has lots of perks. But what most people like is the ability to earn cash back twice — with 1% on unlimited purchases and 1% as you pay for your purchases over time.
Furthermore, you get one of the longest intro APR periods on balance transfers when compared to similar cards, which is ideal if you’re stuck with a high APR on another non-Citi account.
Earn 1% when you make a purchase and another 1% when you pay it off. This lets you earn cash back twice and is the highest unlimited rate on all purchases that you can get. The industry standard is 1.5% back.
Intro APR on balance transfers.
Get a 0% intro APR for 18 months for balance transfers that are completed within 4 months of your account opening. Keep in mind that even during the intro period you’ll pay a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the transaction. After the intro period, a transfer APR of 15.49% to 25.49% variable applies. This is one of the longest intro APR periods that you can get when compared to similar cards.
No annual fee.
You get these perks without paying an annual fee.
Compare similar cashback credit cards
Compare Citi® Double Cash Card with other cards
- Compare with Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Compare with Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- Compare with Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Compare with American Express Cash Magnet® Card
- Compare with Fidelity® Rewards Visa Signature® Card
- Compare with Citi Rewards+℠ Card
- Compare with Citi Simplicity® Card
- Compare with Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Compare with Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Compare with Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
- Compare with PNC Cash Rewards® Visa® Credit Card
- Compare with Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Compare with Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Compare with Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Compare with Discover it® Cash Back
- Compare with Chase Slate® credit card
- Compare with Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
- Compare with PayPal Cashback Mastercard®
- Compare with Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card
- Compare with Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the Citi® Double Cash Card?
The Citi® Double Cash Card can be one of the best cashback cards you’ll own as long as you consistently pay off your purchases.
Here’s how much cash back you might earn based on this sample budget:
- $1,000 a month x 1% = $120 cash back a year
- Pay off $1,000 a month in purchases x 1% = $120 cash back a year.
In total, you’d earn $240 cash back in a year as long as you paid your balance in full each month.
You’ll also like …
You won’t pay any fees when you make a late payment for the first time.
Enjoy special access when you want to buy presale tickets or VIP packages for concerts, sports events, dining and more.
Credit card protection.
Citi monitors your account 24/7 and alerts you in case of suspicious activity. You can also get your lost card replaced within 24 hours.
Contactless payment and digital wallets.
Tap to pay with your card, or set it up in a digital wallet to make purchases online, in-app and in-store.
Is there a Citi® Double Cash Card signup bonus?
This card doesn’t currently offer a signup bonus. However, Citi periodically offers a balance transfer intro APR period that beats what you’ll typically find with other no-annual-fee cashback cards.
Case study: Ryan’s experience
I upgraded to the Double Cash card and have yet to find another credit card that compares for everyday purchases. I’ll still use the 5% cashback card occasionally, but Double Cash is my go-to for purchases day in and day out. It takes the hassle out of managing multiple cards.
What to watch out for
Balance transfer limits.
Complete all balance transfers within four months of card membership to use the intro APR period. For each balance transfer, you’ll pay a fee of either $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater.
The amount you want to transfer including the fees cannot be higher than your credit line.
High late payment fees.
You won’t pay any fees for your first late payment. But starting from the second, you’ll pay up to $40. If you make one late or returned payment, Citi may impose a penalty APR of up to 29.99% variable, which may last indefinitely.
Citi® Double Cash Card foreign transaction fees.
Use this card abroad and you’ll pay a fee of 3% of each transaction. This can quickly add up on a trip spanning several days.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
Call customer support on the back of your card to request a balance transfer. Alternatively, Citi lets you request balance transfers with your card application. Once requested, it will take 14 days to process your transfers.
To receive a 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months from account opening, complete your transfers within four months of opening your account. After the intro period passes, your rate will revert to 15.49% to 25.49% variable.
You can only transfer amounts that don’t exceed your credit limit. Also, Citi won’t process balance transfers coming from accounts that it or its affiliates have issued to you.
For each transfer, you’ll pay either $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater. This means you’ll pay $30 for a $1,000 balance transfer.
What should I know before I apply?
Apply for the Citi® Double Cash Card if you’re at least 18 years old and a US citizen.
When you fill out your application form, you’ll need to provide:
- Your name and contact information.
- Your date of birth and Social Security number.
- Security details for your account.
- Your income amount and sources.
You can also add authorized users at this time, or wait and add them later.
What credit score do I need?
To increase your chances of approval and get a higher credit line and lower APR, apply with a credit score of 670 or higher.
|Credit Range||Approval Rate|
What do customers say about the Citi® Double Cash Card?
Most customers love that they can earn cash back twice and the long intro APR period on balance transfers. However, some customers were disappointed with the card and claimed that their accounts were locked because of fraudulent activity when there was no fraud.
The Better Business Bureau hasn’t accredited Citi, but it receives a dismal F rating based on its failure to respond to 76 complaints and government actions taken against the company. As of August 2018, the bank has nearly 4,000 complaints filed against it, with customers citing issues with money transfers, having accounts closed for no reason, difficulty disputing fraudulent charges and more.
We’ve polled hundreds of Citi® Double Cash Card users — here’s what we’ve found:
|Application process rating: 73%|
|Customer service rating: 81%|
|Approval rate for 720–850 credit range: 96%|
|No. 1 reason people apply: $0 annual fee|
|47% pay monthly balance in full|
How to apply for the Citi® Double Cash Card
- Go to the Citi website.
- Find the Citi® Double Cash Card from the list of cards and click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with your personal and financial information.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my Citi® Double Cash Card?
Because approval is automated on the Citi website, you may receive an answer in as little as 30 seconds. If additional information is needed, it may take up to 10 business days for a decision to be reached.
Upon approval, you can expect your card to arrive within seven to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Citi® Mobile app. Use the app to activate your card, make payments and set alerts, view your FICO score or find an ATM nearby.
- Avoid paying interest. You have 23 days after the close of each billing cycle to pay without incurring interest.
- Contact customer support. If you need help with your account, call 1-866-422-0306 or 1-210-677-0065 if you’re outside of the US.
How do I redeem Citi® Double Cash Card rewards?
Once your reward reaches $25, call 855-473-4583 or visit the Citi website to redeem your reward as a:
- Statement credit
- Credit to your linked checking or savings account
If you’re looking for a simple credit card with high cash back on all purchases, this could be the right card for you. In addition to cash back, you’ll get one of the longest intro APR periods on balance transfers compared to other cards.
Frequently asked questions
Cashback card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.