CIBC Money Market Savings account review
Personal checks and an ATM card come free but you can only apply in person.
finder.com’s rating: 3.0 / 5.0
CIBC offers an easy-access savings product with ATM accessibility, personal checks and unlimited withdrawals. But monthly fees, unclear rates and limited account availability may hinder your potential to save.
$15 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Shannon Terrell is a writer for Finder who studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto. On any given day, you can find her researching everything from equine financing and business loans to student debt refinancing and how to start a trust. She loves hot coffee, the smell of fresh books and discovering new ways to save her pennies.
The CIBC Money Market account is best for those who live in Illinois, Michigan, Missouri and Wisconsin. The account comes with many of the features you’d expect: personal checks, ATM access, unlimited withdrawals and the opportunity to waive maintenance fees.
However, CIBC isn’t transparent with its interest rates and you can only apply in person.
How do I open a CIBC Money Market Savings account?
There’s no online application for the CIBC Money Market Savings account, so you’ll need to visit a CIBC branch in person to apply.
Bring two forms of photo ID with you and be prepared to deposit at least $50 to open the account.
Meet the following criteria to be eligible for the CIBC Money Market account:
- Be a US citizen over the age of 18
- Have two forms of photo identification
- Have an initial deposit of at least $50
Bring this information with you when you apply:
- Name, date of birth and residential address
- Contact information
- Two forms of photo identification
- External bank account number and routing number of funding account
What are the benefits of a money market account with CIBC?
This account comes with a debit card and personal checks along with the following:
- Opportunity to waive fees. No need to worry about the monthly account fee when you maintain a daily account balance of $2,500 or more.
- Interest-bearing. Earn interest on any amount you deposit.
- Unlimited withdrawals. Whether in person at a branch or at an ATM, withdraw funds as often as you’d like without fee or penalty.
What should I look out for?
In addition to a minimum $50 opening deposit, be on the lookout for the following:
- $15 monthly fee. Unless you maintain a daily account balance of $2,500 or more, expect a $15 monthly maintenance fee.
- Unclear interest rates. CIBC doesn’t share the interest rates for this account online so you’ll need to visit a branch in person to find out what rate you qualify for.
- Limited transfers. This account is limited to six transfers monthly. Typically, exceeding this limit will result in a $10 excessive transaction fee. But contact CIBC to see if it’s waiving this policy due to the temporary suspension of Regulation D.
- Limited availability. Since this account is available to in-person applicants only, it’s limited to residents of Illinois, Michigan, Missouri and Wisconsin.
If you prefer an online savings account, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a money market account.
Compare with other savings accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Gain access to your CIBC Money Market Savings account funds in four different ways:
- Online deposit. Transfer funds from your CIBC Money Market account to any externally linked account.
- Mobile check deposit. With CIBC’s mobile banking app for Android and iOS you can remotely deposit a check from your mobile device.
- ATM. Deposit or withdraw funds from any CIBC surcharge-free ATM.
- In person. Visit a CIBC bank branch during business hours to deposit, transfer or withdraw funds in person.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
You can connect with CIBC in three different ways:
- Phone. Call 877-448-6500 from Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. CST.
- Email. Send an email to CIBC customer support for a response within one business day.
- In person. Swing by a CIBC branch during business hours to speak to a customer service rep in person.
What other savings options does CIBC offer?
Besides its money market account, you can save with CIBC in the following ways:
- CIBC Savings. You’ll need a minimum opening deposit of $50 for this savings account but you’ll get unlimited ATM withdrawals alongside tiered interest rates and the opportunity to waive fees.
- CIBC Agility Savings. A competitive 0.52% APY comes with no monthly maintenance fees and an entirely online application process.
- CIBC CDs. Terms range from 30 days to five years with tiered rates and a minimum deposit of $1,000.
Frequently asked questions
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.